  • Windows
Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
Share
June 16, 2004 6:17:21 AM

Hi all,

I cloned a 40GB disk containing a Windows 2000 Server to a 160GB disk
using Symantec Ghost. But as I understand, Windows resets the drive
letter to default (C:)  when the size of the partition is changed. The
original partition was assigned to the drive letter E: (no C: existed
at all), and now Windows won't start since it can't find WSGINA.DLL
(the logon DLL used instead of the original MSGINA.DLL when Symantec
PC Anywhere is installed).

Since I cannot logon to Windows, I cannot follow the instructions on
HOW TO: Restore the System/Boot Drive Letter in Windows -
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;223188
in other words I need to use a tool or a trick to change the drive
letter manually. It can't be impossible, can it?

I tried Partition Magic 8 Rescue Disk, since I thought you were able
to change drive letter using that tool, but it appears that it isn't.
First of all, I had to fool it by inserting a disk with Windows 2000
Pro as Master. Both the Windows 2000 Pro and the Windows 2000 Server
disk had the drive letters *: according to Partition Magic, and I
found no way to change letter (just to set a label to the disk).

I keep my fingers crossed that someone knows what to do :)

Have a nice day
Daniel

More about : change drive letter 2000 server

Anonymous
June 18, 2004 1:07:38 AM

It might be difficult to obtain the resources to do this. But maybe put
your hard drive in another computer as slave and try and change it in
there? I got lost in your post when you were saying something along
these lines so if you're already tried it I'm sorry. I can't guarantee
it will work, but it's almost been 24 hours since you posted so I
thought I'd try and help.
good luck
sh4d03

--
If you require more assistance or if my suggestion works please E-mail
me at sh4d03 [at] TPG [dot] com [dot] au - please make ensure you insert

Thanks for the reply sh4d03!

I've given up all the attempts to get the clone to work, and I will do
a fresh install some day next week. I figure it's to difficult to get
it to work, and since the server is used during normal working time,
all work has to be done at night.

Thanks anyway
Daniel
June 21, 2004 10:14:49 PM

So does that mean my suggestion didn't work?

--
If you require more assistance or if my suggestion works please E-mail
me at sh4d03 [at] TPG [dot] com [dot] au - please make ensure you insert
the word "Newsgroup" before anything else in the subject line.
Thanks,
Sh4d03
September 13, 2012 5:41:40 AM

If you find the need to change a drive letter, Windows 2000 makes this possible. Here's how:
In the Control Panel, select Administrative Tools. The Administrative Tools folder will pop up.
In that folder, select Computer Management.
Click on Disk Management and wait for the Logical Disk Manager Service to finish scanning your system's drives. You will then see a list of the drives available in your system.
Click on the drive with the drive letter you want to change.
Right click and select the Change Drive Letter and Path... option.
All drive letters linked to that drive will be listed on this popup screen.
Click on the drive letter you want to change and click on Edit.
Click on the drive letter and a whole list of available drive letter choices will now appear.
Select the drive letter you want for this drive.
Click OK and your drive will have a new drive letter.

with love from Pakistan :)  :bounce:
!