"Free" Firmware Upgrade for V600

On Fri, 06 Aug 2004 17:25:18 GMT, "Jeremy" <jeremy@nospam.thanks.com>
wrote:
>This (V600 issue) is yet another example of a product being discontinued and existing
>customers left to pay large amounts of money to have a "free" firmware
>update installed. Cingular, like all other GSM carriers in the United
>States, does not offer firmware updates in-store. GSM carriers in the United
>States consider firmware issues solely a manufacturer concern, and in the
>end, all sides agree, the customer loses out. "

Agreed. But, where do I get it and how much does it cost? What does it
fix? I'm ready to throw my V600 into the trash.

You will have to contact mot.

Chip

RexYBlue wrote:
> On Fri, 06 Aug 2004 17:25:18 GMT, "Jeremy" <jeremy@nospam.thanks.com>
> wrote:
>
>>This (V600 issue) is yet another example of a product being discontinued and existing
>>customers left to pay large amounts of money to have a "free" firmware
>>update installed. Cingular, like all other GSM carriers in the United
>>States, does not offer firmware updates in-store. GSM carriers in the United
>>States consider firmware issues solely a manufacturer concern, and in the
>>end, all sides agree, the customer loses out. "
>

> Agreed. But, where do I get it and how much does it cost? What does it
> fix? I'm ready to throw my V600 into the trash.

Do anyone have contact info for Mot re firmware upgrades? Has anyone
tried this directly with Motorola?

On Mon, 09 Aug 2004 19:44:07 GMT, "DCM" <dm200NOSPAM@comcast.net>
wrote:

>Do anyone have contact info for Mot re firmware upgrades? Has anyone
>tried this directly with Motorola?

I did, both by phone and email. The answer was the same: contact the
carrier.

What did your carrier (Cingular?) say?

"RexYBlue" <rexybluezz@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> On Mon, 09 Aug 2004 19:44:07 GMT, "DCM" <dm200NOSPAM@comcast.net>
> wrote:
>
> >Do anyone have contact info for Mot re firmware upgrades? Has anyone
> >tried this directly with Motorola?
>
> I did, both by phone and email. The answer was the same: contact the
> carrier.

"We don't do onsite updates. Contact Motorola." That's why I contacted
Motorola in the first place and gave up.

I'm thinking about spending the $30 that gsmphonesource.com charges
for flashing/flexing. That is, if I don't decide to sell the phone on
ebay. Used ones are fetching excellent prices.

> "We don't do onsite updates. Contact Motorola." That's why I contacted
> Motorola in the first place and gave up.
>
> I'm thinking about spending the $30 that gsmphonesource.com charges
> for flashing/flexing. That is, if I don't decide to sell the phone on
> ebay. Used ones are fetching excellent prices.

Why not just buy a $5 data cable on eBay and flash it yourself? That's what
I did.

bobbo

If you do a search at Howard Forums you can find the upgrade and do it
yourself with a USB cable. I reflashed my v600 and now it works
perfectly with the Acura tl Handsfree and before it would not.

On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 16:51:54 GMT, RexYBlue <rexybluezz@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>"We don't do onsite updates. Contact Motorola." That's why I contacted
>Motorola in the first place and gave up.
>
>I'm thinking about spending the $30 that gsmphonesource.com charges
>for flashing/flexing. That is, if I don't decide to sell the phone on
>ebay. Used ones are fetching excellent prices.
>
>On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 12:14:05 GMT, "DCM" <dm200NOSPAM@comcast.net>
>wrote:
>
>>What did your carrier (Cingular?) say?
>>

>>"RexYBlue" <rexybluezz@hotmail.com> wrote in message

>>> I did, both by phone and email. The answer was the same: contact the
>>> carrier.

On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 17:41:03 -0400, "Barry Delfino"
<bdelfino@comcast.net> wrote:

>Why not just buy a $5 data cable on eBay and flash it yourself? That's what
>I did.

Is the cable by any chance the same as the one for the v60i? If so, I
already have it. Thanks for the tip.