pat

Expert
The first official 1 GHz speed is with an AMD Tunderbird CPU. AMD was able to even break the speed barrier of 1 GHZ, while the Intel 1.13GHz, IIRC, had to be recalled because of some problem they had. AMD hold the speed advantage thru the old P4 Willamette serie, and Intel began to regain advantage with their high FSB northwood core.

I think that it is the way it happen, but I may be wrong...

Teh_Catman

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2005
AMD hit the 1Ghz barrier first (with a non-OC'd chip). Amd was over 1 ghz while Intel fiddled with the 1.13 ghz recall and MTH i820 recall (2000 was a very bad year for Intel).

endyen

Splendid
Not according to the above memntioned chart. Tom's has it that the Intel 1ghz came out in january 2K, quickly followed by the 1.13. There was then a short wait for the williamettes, during which time, Amd took the speed crown, for a whole 3 months.
Intel doesn't have to rewrite the history on this one. THG is doing it for them.

Teh_Catman

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2005
Intel doesn't have to rewrite the history on this one. THG is doing it for them.

I don't care what Toms says, they very well may have had a sample chip running at 1ghz before AMD hit 1ghz but in any mag I've read AMD had 1ghz chips on the market before Intel did and Intel 1ghz and + were prone to lockup (OC'd anyone). This is the main reason I doubt Toms they seem to say Intel did everything first, while they did do most things first spend some time on Wiki reading about X86 chips. AMD got Very Very lucky when they aquired NexGen. If Intel bought Nexgen Intel would have a Monopoly and AMD would be a joke today.

endyen

Splendid
I do care what THG says. We already spend too much time explaining to noobs that our sponsor is highly Intel biased. I'm also annoyed with the # of Intel fanboys who throw THG benchmarks in our face.

Teh_Catman

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2005
To tell the truth it was and AMD Fanboy in the days of the K6-2 that made me read Toms. After I read Toms I was an Intel fan boy till my Intel purchase in 2003 (which I immediatly regretted). Now I have an AMD X2 3800+ (2x2ghz) on an ATI RS480 chipset with Integrated graphics and it blows my old Intel 2.8 ghz with I865 Integrated Gfx out of the water. I realized AMD was better when my electric bill was $18 cheaper for 2 months and my AMD was 24/7 and the Intel was mayber 30 hours a week.

EDIT: I can have my Reciept for this comp scanned in along with electric bills for before and after.

Teh_Catman

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2005
Electric bills coming in a few days. I dont have a scanner so I gotta get a friend to do but by Monday I promise (probably Friday maybe tomorrow night if I can borrow the scanner).

EDIT: And HolyLancer why did you stop folding?

endyen

Splendid
The speed crown was only given to retail product, OCs dont apply.
In case you hadn't noticed, this thread is about THG fanboy crap. We dont need any more of it thank you.
It's amazing how many Intel fanboys we get who swear that they have used Amd chips.

Steele

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2004
I readily admit to not knowing a whole lot about this topic...

But do you suppose it is all possible that for all your talk about "Intel fanboys" that you yourselves might be fanboys yourselves? And hence, a little teeny tiny bit biased against Intel?

Just a thought...

Steele

Considering I've owned both AMD and Intel products in the past, (my current PC is Intel-based) I don't qualify for the fanboi moniker. My next upgrade will most likely be AMD, unless Intel pulls a rabbit out of it's hat before I'm ready to buy.

endyen

Splendid
You may have ment that for me, as I was the one who brought up fanboys.
I am a fanboy. I wont buy anything that doesn't fit high in price/performance. I'm still annoyed at Intel because they went to a proprietary socket format, but have still used thier chips, when they were worth it.
Right now I'm a big fan of Amd, because they give more, for less. When Intel does that, once again,I will buy Intel.

Steele

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2004
Let me just say that I didn't mean to direct that at anyone in particular, but just as a broad comment. I apologize if anyone mis-interpreted me.

I really do think that you should consider your own biases in this case, not to get rid of them, as no-one can do that, but to consider why someone who otherwise seems intelligent might appear to be a r3tARd n00bZZ!!!1!11one. Is it because they have been fooled by marketing or hype or an overeager salesman? Or is there a chance that their argument has merit and is not worthy of immeadiate dismissal on the grounds of "He disagrees with me, so therefore, he is wrong."

Just my thoughts... By the way, I currently have an AMD cpu, so I'm not trying to sneakily be pro-Intel. I really don't have an opinion on the debate here, except that sometimes rational arguments are met with unwarranted criticism.

Steele

endyen

Splendid
Just so you know
By the way, I currently have an AMD cpu, so I'm not trying to sneakily be pro-Intel.
, or "I used to have Amd" is a common Intel troll line.
I dont think you are a troll, just young. That's OK. Even if you are a troll, you are a rational troll, and can add some inteligent conversation. We like those here as well.
Sometimes we get idiot trolls. Lately they have been mostly Intel, but we do get the odd idiot Amd troll as well. When someone comes in and looks like an idiot troll, we jump on them as quick as possible, hoping not to have to deal with thier drivel. It does make it a little dificult to recommend anything when someone is posting "A" is 1331, "B" sux.
I may have jumped the gun on intelamduser, but I doubt it. If it comes in smelling like a troll, talking like a troll, and walking like a troll, guess what?
See, I started this thread because I hate bs and lies. I really hate them when a "reputable site" is the author. When intelamduser started posting intelbs in a thread about intelbs, that automaticly elected him to idiot troll status.
If he comes back and proves me wrong, I will apologize.
If he comes back, and acts like an inteligent troll, I will jump all over him, asking him to prove it.
Most inteligent trolls can deal with that for only so long, before the become performance or price/performance fanboys.

I'm not biased - I read reviews from many sites and take a hard look at what is being said and try to find out what is NOT being said. When I have the information, then I make a decision on what has the best price/performance. I currently think tht AMD has the price/performance crown. If that sways back to Intel, then I'll praise Intel for hard work and innovation. I could care less who gives me the best price/perf, but price/perf is what I want.

Right now I'm a big fan of Amd, because they give more, for less. When Intel does that, once again,I will buy Intel.

Hear Hear! I would have posted earlier, albeit for the latencies of my Intel CPU :wink: What does that have to do with the price of tea in China? :mrgreen:

mpjesse

Splendid
OOOoook... unless someone went back in time and changed history, AMD was actually the first to break 1Ghz with that Slot A K7 CPU. I'm talking about what was for sale; not demostrations. AMD was the first to sell a 1Ghz CPU (the Athlon K7) system. A lot of you little tykes are probably too young to remember, but intel was peeved AMD beat them to 1Ghz. And that was the day Intel knew they had a serious competitor. See aticles here here:

http://www.forbes.com/enterprisetech/2005/04/08/cx_ah_0408amd.html

From Forbes: "In 2000 AMD hit a benchmark by being first to market with a PC chip that ran at 1 gigahertz. Intel followed soon after."

http://www.crn.com/sections/breakin...44WG1NEIQSNDBCSKHSCJUMEKJVN?_requestid=851226

http://www.markwrafter.com/groove/penned/vision/00/090300.html

http://bwrc.eecs.berkeley.edu/CIC/announce/2000/k7.1000.html

If you want to get into who really first demostrated a 1Ghz CPU, it was IBM way back in 1997.

See here: http://www.brierassociates.com/news/infoworl/fastchip.htm

So, Intel does not belong in this thread in any way. IBM demostrated first 1Ghz CPU and AMD was first to sell one. :)

-mpjesse