home network question

I have a new laptop from work and want to be able to file share and printer
share with the desktop computer. I've tried using the wizard, but with no
luck. I can see the desktop computer on the list but I am unable to connect
to it. I know I'm missing a step but I cant seem to figure it out.

I do have an internet connection, that was not a problem.

Malke

gizahuna wrote:

> I have a new laptop from work and want to be able to file share and
> printer
> share with the desktop computer. I've tried using the wizard, but
> with no
> luck. I can see the desktop computer on the list but I am unable to
> connect
> to it. I know I'm missing a step but I cant seem to figure it out.
>
> I do have an internet connection, that was not a problem.

Is the laptop on a domain at work? If this is the case, here is
information from MVP Lanwench on how to share your home (Workgroup)
resources:

Note - you don't need to change to a workgroup just to access resources
on it. You shouldn't play with your laptop's network settings at all.
Once you've logged in using your domain account (using cached
credentials), and have an IP address on the home network, you can map
drives, use printers, whatnot, very easily - one way, in a command
line:

net use x: \\computername\sharename /user:computername\username <enter>

MS KB article about the Net Use command - http://tinyurl.com/3bpnj

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

If you use the Wireless set up Wizard you can copy your wireless settings
from the desktop PC to a usb flash drive and install it on the laptop