Moving Map Maddness

Last response: in Video Games
Share
March 3, 2005 8:38:43 PM

All you guys are downloading and installing this new toy. You are spending
hours setting up the maps and working out the bugs.

I downloaded it.... I think... I have never felt the need to set it up. I
mean, what's the point? When I sim fly and get lost or disoriented I learn
from the experience. This is a "device" that doe not exist in the real
world so why do you want it in your sim? Isn't just following a moving map
more like a playing simple road racing video game?

Dalli

More about : moving map maddness

March 3, 2005 8:38:44 PM

Dallas wrote:
> just following a moving map more like a playing simple road racing
> video game?

I try to keep use of GPS and the m/s map at a minimum. Map for nav info
while setting things up, then "for use in emergency only". GPS is next to
cheating (but handy for ILS fans in a mega-urban locale :) !! Dalli is
right - that's half the fun......
IMHO, which I respect....... d:->))

Cheers'n Beers.. [_])
Don
March 3, 2005 8:47:15 PM

On Thu, 3 Mar 2005 12:52:57 -0600, "CRaSH" <sorry@aint-here.spam.com>
wrote:

>GPS is next to cheating (but handy for ILS fans in a mega-urban locale :) !!

I used to agree with this position, never could understand why people
needed more then the VOR & NDB frequencies. However, I fairly
recently discovered that many "real world" private pilots are now
moving to GPS usage as their main navagation aid, so I don't feel so
guilty when I use it with FS. The bottom line is getting from "here"
to "there" safely, and that means using whatever method works best.

Jim
http://www.BozAir.com
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
March 4, 2005 12:35:30 AM

On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 17:38:43 GMT, Dallas wrote:

> I downloaded it.... I think... I have never felt the need to set it up. I
> mean, what's the point? When I sim fly and get lost or disoriented I learn
> from the experience. This is a "device" that doe not exist in the real
> world so why do you want it in your sim? Isn't just following a moving map
> more like a playing simple road racing video game?

Er, what planet do you live on? On Earth we've had "moving maps" in Real
Life (tm) for at least a decade... ;)

Perhaps you all don't have 'em on Selucius Secundus...

Bill
March 4, 2005 12:42:10 AM

Dallas wrote:

> All you guys are downloading and installing this new toy. You are spending
> hours setting up the maps and working out the bugs.
>
> I downloaded it.... I think... I have never felt the need to set it up. I
> mean, what's the point? When I sim fly and get lost or disoriented I learn
> from the experience. This is a "device" that doe not exist in the real
> world so why do you want it in your sim? Isn't just following a moving map
> more like a playing simple road racing video game?
>
> Dalli

Cuz back in the old days, all I had was a sectional and, if lucky, an
ADF to navigate cross country. Watching it brings back old times. :)

I am going to fly one of my favorites, a flight I made 6 times to
Amarillo TX from Ft Eustis VA in an OH-58C. Preparing for the first
flight I laid out all the sectionals from start to finish which went
from the dining room all the way to the living room. Too much map for
single pilot ops so I taped them together, cut off the part 50 NM north
of, and 50 NM south of my route. Then rolled it up like a scroll that I
could unwind along the flight path. I'm sure I don't still have that map
but who knows when I look into some of the boxes I've stored away.

I remember the major points along the path.

Ft Eustis to Nashville. stay overnight

Nashville to Oklahoma City IF I could make it, otherwise overnight in Ft
Smith Arkansas.

Arrive Bell plant in Amarillo, turn in my aircraft, preflight and accept
the new one and get the heck outa dodge. (Amarillo = dodge, get it..)
and fly the 1 hour flight to OK city and spend the night there.

Ok City to Nashville.

Nashville to Ft Eustis

Those were planned stops. I don't think I made each one on any of the
flights I made.

One memorable flight. I had a crew chief with me who couldn't do
anything, even read a map. But crew chiefs weren't required to know how
so I did some on the job training on the way to Texas. On the route
back we were somewhere between Ok City and Arkansas I was down to less
than 100 feet AGL with the weather closing in around me when the crew
chief told me there was a tower coming up in front of us. I asked him
which side of the road was the tower he replied "in the middle". It
created what we called a "quick stop" and I landed right between the
interstate highway. When I took the map I saw the tower was on the south
side but in his defense, the top of the tower covered part of the
interstate.

That was also the day we had a near miss. We were surrounded by white
clouds with a very white background when right in front of us came a
white Bell 206. His white aircraft blended in but mine should have been
easy to see, being almost black. Anyway, he didn't see us and I dove
under him. To this day I don't know if he saw us.

Come to think about it, this particular flight with that crew chief was
almost my last. I'll tell later about how he saved both of our lives
and we ended up parking in someones back yard and spending the night in
the mountains near Hazard KY. But I can't type much any more. That story
is for another time.

--

boB

U.S. Army Aviation (retired)
March 4, 2005 2:56:02 AM

<Cybnorm@spam_me_not.Hotmail.Com> wrote:

>All you guys are downloading and installing this new toy. You are spending
>hours setting up the maps and working out the bugs.
>
>I downloaded it.... I think... I have never felt the need to set it up. I
>mean, what's the point? When I sim fly and get lost or disoriented I learn
>from the experience. This is a "device" that doe not exist in the real
>world so why do you want it in your sim? Isn't just following a moving map
>more like a playing simple road racing video game?
>
>Dalli

I don't know about you, but when my landing gear lifts off the ground
in real life, I got a sectional right next to me. Don't fly without
one.

Bob
Anonymous
March 4, 2005 3:10:36 AM

You know Dalli,
You have become what I can only describe as a 'kind of eleemosynary troll'
I get a kick out of seeing what subject you will so cleverly find to push
next.
Don't get me wrong, I like your contributions as you know, but it has to be
said, you almost make trolling respectable...

Your chum,

Quilly
March 4, 2005 3:39:31 AM

"Quilljar" <
> You have become what I can only describe as a 'kind of eleemosynary troll'

(Damn I had to look eleemosynary up....)

I would not disagree with that statement, after all, you taught me
everything I know. :-)

Dalli
March 4, 2005 3:39:32 AM

Dallas wrote:
> (Damn I had to look eleemosynary up....)

I just thot he mispelled elemanterary........
March 4, 2005 11:07:43 AM

Bob Cordone wrote:
> I don't know about you, but when my landing gear lifts off the ground
> in real life, I got a sectional right next to me. Don't fly without
> one.

For simming I found the 'Aviation Topographic Atlas' from
www.desktopwings.com does a great job! It covers continental US with World
Aeronautical Charts, plus a host of terminal charts, spiral bound so it lays
flat when opened (11"x22") or folded in half. Excellant print quality, tear
resistant pages.
The Oxford Atlas of the World does good for the rest of the globe, although
it does lack the nav info, at least it shows the major airports and
topography...
March 4, 2005 2:37:08 PM

Not sure about anywhere else, but in the UK it is a legal requirement
to have a current chart with you for every flight.
Anonymous
March 4, 2005 6:29:07 PM

"Jim" <BozAir@REMOVETHISchartermi.net> wrote in message
> recently discovered that many "real world" private pilots are now
> moving to GPS usage as their main navagation aid, so I don't feel so
> guilty when I use it with FS. The bottom line is getting from "here"
> to "there" safely, and that means using whatever method works best.

I just wouldn't want to be near them if their GPS quits and they are too
"rusty" with any other method by then. Kind of like using a calculator so
much that you forget how to do math yourself.

--

Phillip Windell [MCP, MVP, CCNA]
www.wandtv.com

Jim wrote:

> I used to agree with this position, never could understand why people
> needed more then the VOR & NDB frequencies. However, I fairly
> recently discovered that many "real world" private pilots are now
> moving to GPS usage as their main navagation aid, so I don't feel so
> guilty when I use it with FS. The bottom line is getting from "here"
> to "there" safely, and that means using whatever method works best.
>
> Jim
> http://www.BozAir.com

Good point. However, GPS makes navigation so easy that there isn't any
challenge, therefore not so much fun in my opinion. I only refer to my
GPS unit when I'm running out of playtime and need to get a flight over
with (I detest having to quit mid-flight).

Huw
!