Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Wireless router for internet access only?

Last response: in Wireless Networking
Share
Anonymous
August 15, 2005 12:29:03 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

I am receiving an excellent connection with my wireless network but can't get
internet access. For internet access do all the computers need the same
Workgroup name? and if so why is that the case when all I want is internet
acess and not network capabilities (i.e. file/printer sharing).

The computer hooked up directly to the router is XP Pro and the other
computer (w/o internet acess) is a Win98SE computer.

Thanks for any info...
August 15, 2005 12:51:50 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

gbatistuta wrote:

> I am receiving an excellent connection with my wireless network but
> can't get
> internet access. For internet access do all the computers need the
> same
> Workgroup name? and if so why is that the case when all I want is
> internet acess and not network capabilities (i.e. file/printer
> sharing).
>
> The computer hooked up directly to the router is XP Pro and the other
> computer (w/o internet acess) is a Win98SE computer.
>
> Thanks for any info...

Windows computers do not need the same Workgroup name to share
files/folders so this is not an issue for your wireless networking
problem. So you've installed a wireless network adapter on the Win98
pc. I assume it is installed correctly since it shows that you are
getting a good signal. On the wireless router, make sure you've enabled
SSID broadcasting. Do you have any encryption set on the wireless
connection? Have you configured the Win98's wireless connectivity
manager to use the encryption? What wireless network adapter did you
install? Does the Win98 machine have a third-party firewall installed?
If so, did you configure it to allow the lan IP range as trusted?

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
Anonymous
August 15, 2005 2:09:01 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

The router is a Hawking Technology HWR54G and the network adaptor is a
Hawking Technology HWP54G. Also I think you meant to say "Windows computers
do not need the same Workgroup name to share internet not files/folders",
right? So anyway, SSID broadcast is on because the adaptor utility software
finds the Network name and connects and WEP is enabled and I'm pretty sure
the key is correct because not only does it find the wireless network but it
also connects to it. I just cannot get internet access. No 3rd party
firewall on the Win98 computer either. Thanks again for your help.




"Malke" wrote:

> gbatistuta wrote:
>
> > I am receiving an excellent connection with my wireless network but
> > can't get
> > internet access. For internet access do all the computers need the
> > same
> > Workgroup name? and if so why is that the case when all I want is
> > internet acess and not network capabilities (i.e. file/printer
> > sharing).
> >
> > The computer hooked up directly to the router is XP Pro and the other
> > computer (w/o internet acess) is a Win98SE computer.
> >
> > Thanks for any info...
>
> Windows computers do not need the same Workgroup name to share
> files/folders so this is not an issue for your wireless networking
> problem. So you've installed a wireless network adapter on the Win98
> pc. I assume it is installed correctly since it shows that you are
> getting a good signal. On the wireless router, make sure you've enabled
> SSID broadcasting. Do you have any encryption set on the wireless
> connection? Have you configured the Win98's wireless connectivity
> manager to use the encryption? What wireless network adapter did you
> install? Does the Win98 machine have a third-party firewall installed?
> If so, did you configure it to allow the lan IP range as trusted?
>
> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
>
Related resources
August 15, 2005 5:26:53 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

gbatistuta wrote:

> The router is a Hawking Technology HWR54G and the network adaptor is a
> Hawking Technology HWP54G. Also I think you meant to say "Windows
> computers do not need the same Workgroup name to share internet not
> files/folders",
> right? So anyway, SSID broadcast is on because the adaptor utility
> software finds the Network name and connects and WEP is enabled and
> I'm pretty sure the key is correct because not only does it find the
> wireless network but it
> also connects to it. I just cannot get internet access. No 3rd party
> firewall on the Win98 computer either. Thanks again for your help.

Do you get any error messages at all? What browser are you using? Can
you ping the router, the other computer on the network?

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
Anonymous
August 15, 2005 6:02:02 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

Malke,

Thanks for your help so far...I am using IE 6.0 and when I get a chance I
will try and ping the router and the other computer (I am at work right now
and the computer is at my parent's house). I cannot remember excatly but
when I try to connect to the internet I get the typically message when there
is no connection...I will double check when I get back to their house. Also,
remember I'm trying to do this with different workgroup names as I don't care
to access the other computer. Should I go ahead and use the same workgroup
name and not allow access throught the XP Pro computer? Will that at least
simplify the Win98 getting internet access?


"Malke" wrote:

> gbatistuta wrote:
>
> > The router is a Hawking Technology HWR54G and the network adaptor is a
> > Hawking Technology HWP54G. Also I think you meant to say "Windows
> > computers do not need the same Workgroup name to share internet not
> > files/folders",
> > right? So anyway, SSID broadcast is on because the adaptor utility
> > software finds the Network name and connects and WEP is enabled and
> > I'm pretty sure the key is correct because not only does it find the
> > wireless network but it
> > also connects to it. I just cannot get internet access. No 3rd party
> > firewall on the Win98 computer either. Thanks again for your help.
>
> Do you get any error messages at all? What browser are you using? Can
> you ping the router, the other computer on the network?
>
> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
>
August 15, 2005 11:43:46 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

gbatistuta wrote:

> Malke,
>
> Thanks for your help so far...I am using IE 6.0 and when I get a
> chance I will try and ping the router and the other computer (I am at
> work right now
> and the computer is at my parent's house). I cannot remember excatly
> but when I try to connect to the internet I get the typically message
> when there
> is no connection...I will double check when I get back to their house.
> Also, remember I'm trying to do this with different workgroup names
> as I don't care
> to access the other computer. Should I go ahead and use the same
> workgroup
> name and not allow access throught the XP Pro computer? Will that at
> least simplify the Win98 getting internet access?
>

The workgroup has nothing to do with this. The name of the workgroup is
just for convenience and does not provide any security one way or the
other. Windows machines with different workgroup names can access each
others' resources with no problem as long as the network is set
correctly.

If you don't want to share files/folders, just don't have that option
enabled. It will not prevent you from accessing the Internet via a
router. You said you have a wireless router, so you should not be
trying to access the Internet "through the XP Pro computer". Perhaps
you have Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) set up in error and that
would certainly prevent the router from working correctly. If you have
ICS, uninstall/remove it from all computers. On the Win98 box, make
sure you are logging on with Client for Microsoft Networks. On all
computers, set them to automatically get an IP address via DHCP (the
router) and automatic DNS (also from the router).

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
!