Wireless router for internet access only?

I am receiving an excellent connection with my wireless network but can't get
internet access. For internet access do all the computers need the same
Workgroup name? and if so why is that the case when all I want is internet
acess and not network capabilities (i.e. file/printer sharing).

The computer hooked up directly to the router is XP Pro and the other
computer (w/o internet acess) is a Win98SE computer.

Thanks for any info...
5 answers Last reply
More about wireless router internet access only

    gbatistuta wrote:

    > I am receiving an excellent connection with my wireless network but
    > can't get
    > internet access. For internet access do all the computers need the
    > same
    > Workgroup name? and if so why is that the case when all I want is
    > internet acess and not network capabilities (i.e. file/printer
    > sharing).
    >
    > The computer hooked up directly to the router is XP Pro and the other
    > computer (w/o internet acess) is a Win98SE computer.
    >
    > Thanks for any info...

    Windows computers do not need the same Workgroup name to share
    files/folders so this is not an issue for your wireless networking
    problem. So you've installed a wireless network adapter on the Win98
    pc. I assume it is installed correctly since it shows that you are
    getting a good signal. On the wireless router, make sure you've enabled
    SSID broadcasting. Do you have any encryption set on the wireless
    connection? Have you configured the Win98's wireless connectivity
    manager to use the encryption? What wireless network adapter did you
    install? Does the Win98 machine have a third-party firewall installed?
    If so, did you configure it to allow the lan IP range as trusted?

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com

    The router is a Hawking Technology HWR54G and the network adaptor is a
    Hawking Technology HWP54G. Also I think you meant to say "Windows computers
    do not need the same Workgroup name to share internet not files/folders",
    right? So anyway, SSID broadcast is on because the adaptor utility software
    finds the Network name and connects and WEP is enabled and I'm pretty sure
    the key is correct because not only does it find the wireless network but it
    also connects to it. I just cannot get internet access. No 3rd party
    firewall on the Win98 computer either. Thanks again for your help.

    gbatistuta wrote:

    > The router is a Hawking Technology HWR54G and the network adaptor is a
    > Hawking Technology HWP54G. Also I think you meant to say "Windows
    > computers do not need the same Workgroup name to share internet not
    > files/folders",
    > right? So anyway, SSID broadcast is on because the adaptor utility
    > software finds the Network name and connects and WEP is enabled and
    > I'm pretty sure the key is correct because not only does it find the
    > wireless network but it
    > also connects to it. I just cannot get internet access. No 3rd party
    > firewall on the Win98 computer either. Thanks again for your help.

    Do you get any error messages at all? What browser are you using? Can
    you ping the router, the other computer on the network?

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com
    "Don't Panic!"
    MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

    Malke,

    Thanks for your help so far...I am using IE 6.0 and when I get a chance I
    will try and ping the router and the other computer (I am at work right now
    and the computer is at my parent's house). I cannot remember excatly but
    when I try to connect to the internet I get the typically message when there
    is no connection...I will double check when I get back to their house. Also,
    remember I'm trying to do this with different workgroup names as I don't care
    to access the other computer. Should I go ahead and use the same workgroup
    name and not allow access throught the XP Pro computer? Will that at least
    simplify the Win98 getting internet access?

    gbatistuta wrote:

    > Malke,
    >
    > Thanks for your help so far...I am using IE 6.0 and when I get a
    > chance I will try and ping the router and the other computer (I am at
    > work right now
    > and the computer is at my parent's house). I cannot remember excatly
    > but when I try to connect to the internet I get the typically message
    > when there
    > is no connection...I will double check when I get back to their house.
    > Also, remember I'm trying to do this with different workgroup names
    > as I don't care
    > to access the other computer. Should I go ahead and use the same
    > workgroup
    > name and not allow access throught the XP Pro computer? Will that at
    > least simplify the Win98 getting internet access?

    The workgroup has nothing to do with this. The name of the workgroup is
    just for convenience and does not provide any security one way or the
    other. Windows machines with different workgroup names can access each
    others' resources with no problem as long as the network is set
    correctly.

    If you don't want to share files/folders, just don't have that option
    enabled. It will not prevent you from accessing the Internet via a
    router. You said you have a wireless router, so you should not be
    trying to access the Internet "through the XP Pro computer". Perhaps
    you have Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) set up in error and that
    would certainly prevent the router from working correctly. If you have
    ICS, uninstall/remove it from all computers. On the Win98 box, make
    sure you are logging on with Client for Microsoft Networks. On all
    computers, set them to automatically get an IP address via DHCP (the
    router) and automatic DNS (also from the router).

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com
    "Don't Panic!"
    MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Internet Access Wireless Router Computers Wireless Networking