Why is my video card hanging up?

paule66

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2005
I finally get my new card (radeon 9800 pro). Everything is working perfect I then started playing World of Warcraft and everything seems to be working good until suddenly my card just seems to shut off or something, my screen goes black and the light is flashing as if it were on standby but my computer is clearly on. I then Restarted my computer and everything boots up fine i go right back into playing and then suddenly it happens again about 5 mins into playing. I then repeat this 10 or so more times and it always happens the time it takes for it to happen varies but it always seems to happen. I have no idea what could be causing this I have even tried using my brothers card, which is the same as mine, and it happens although it is different when i use his. With his it happens less frequently and sometimes doesn't even happen where as with mine it happens withing 5-10 mins and always happens. I have no idea what the problem could be if anyone could give me an idea of what could be happening or how i may fix this i would greatly appreciate it.

Sounds like a power/heat issue. Give us your system specs - including the PSU mfr/model. Read the FAQ in the General motherboard Forum for some great initial troubleshooting procedures.