Added IDE disk to SCSI system - can't boot without floppy?

Hi there, hope someone can help me...
I have an old server that I am trying to keep alive without upgrading
for a while, running NT4 SP6a, that had two 3 GB SCSI drives mirrored
through Disk Administrator. One of the disks died, so I removed it an
changed boot.ini to reflect the new disk address. The working boot.ini
line was:
So that was fine, booted OK, worked great.
Now, I decided I wanted to mirror it again, but I only had an IDE
disk.
FDISKed the IDE drive, and removed all the partitions. Connected it to
the primary IDE controller and created a boot floppy with the edited
line:
The IDE disk is now Disk 0 and the SCSI disk is Disk 1
I booted up using the floppy (worked fine) and mirrored the SCSI disk
to the IDE disk. The mirror is now established and healthy.
However, I can't boot now without the floppy!
I copied the boot.ini file from the floppy to the root of the C:
drive, but when I remove the floppy and try to boot, it gets to the
first blue screen and spontaneously reboots. If I put the floppy back
in and boot from there, it works fine.
Does anyone know what is going on here?
I have seen a KB article which mentions the ATDISK device (which is
currently disabled in my system), but I am not sure if this might be
the problem, or if enabling that might cause even more problems!

There may be a setting in your BIOS to boot from SCSI frist or something
like that. Sounds like it is trying to boot of the IDE first and not the
SCSI drive. This is probably going to be a motherboard/cmos issue and have
nothing to do with the operating system.

--
Scott Harding
MCSE, MCSA, A+, Network+

"Microfiche" <magic_philter@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi there, hope someone can help me...
> I have an old server that I am trying to keep alive without upgrading
> for a while, running NT4 SP6a, that had two 3 GB SCSI drives mirrored
> through Disk Administrator. One of the disks died, so I removed it an
> changed boot.ini to reflect the new disk address. The working boot.ini
> line was:
> default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT
> So that was fine, booted OK, worked great.
> Now, I decided I wanted to mirror it again, but I only had an IDE
> disk.
> FDISKed the IDE drive, and removed all the partitions. Connected it to
> the primary IDE controller and created a boot floppy with the edited
> line:
> default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINNT
> The IDE disk is now Disk 0 and the SCSI disk is Disk 1
> I booted up using the floppy (worked fine) and mirrored the SCSI disk
> to the IDE disk. The mirror is now established and healthy.
> However, I can't boot now without the floppy!
> I copied the boot.ini file from the floppy to the root of the C:
> drive, but when I remove the floppy and try to boot, it gets to the
> first blue screen and spontaneously reboots. If I put the floppy back
> in and boot from there, it works fine.
> Does anyone know what is going on here?
> I have seen a KB article which mentions the ATDISK device (which is
> currently disabled in my system), but I am not sure if this might be
> the problem, or if enabling that might cause even more problems!

Thanks Scott,
I neglected to mention that I changed the BIOS so that it was booting
SCSI first. However, if it WAS trying to boot from the IDE first how
would it get up to the blue screen? Wouldn't it stop much earlier than
that?
Are you saying that there is no reason why what I did shouldn't work?