Closed

Maximum Length of Filename

Basic Question - Sorry! Can anyone confirm that the
maximum length of filename permissable is 255 characters.
This is Win NT4 with MS Office 2000.
Thanx.
2 answers Last reply
More about maximum length filename

    >>Can anyone confirm that the maximum length of filename permissable is 255
    characters.

    I believe the limit is the maximum path length, not file name length. I
    also think the limit is 260 - at least that's the value of MAX_PATH in my
    version of MS Visual C++. In other words the full path to your file,
    including the drive letter, colon, all directory names up to and including
    your file name should not exceed 260 characters.

    Keith

Filename Microsoft Basic Windows