Sign in with
Your question

Computer Build Help

Last response: in Systems
November 24, 2005 2:06:07 AM

I am building a new computer with my own money. So i need some suggestinos.

I have three hundred dollars to spend on my cpu/motherboard/graphic card
amd 3500+ venice
motherboard 939 socket pci express
6600gt

OR
amd 3000+
motherboard 754 socket pci express
6800gs

And i only have 300 dollars to spend.

thanks

More about : computer build

November 24, 2005 4:24:44 AM

Option 1: What mobo? The 3500+ Venice is $190 and the best price I've seen on the 6600GT is $120. Those two alone bust your budget.
Option 2: What mobo? The best price that I know of for the 6800GS is $200, so I'm having a hard time seeing how you can fit the mobo/CPU in there with it...

Are you just getting some great deal on refurbs or what?! Give us the scoop.

BTW, Option will give the best gaming performance, but it will limit CPU upgrades, dual core and 64bit processing.
November 24, 2005 5:21:27 AM

dude 300$ is like trying to fit a plane into a car garage. lol

500$ will give you way more head room atleast... and #1 from personal experience, i know it's hard and you wanna get a new rig and get all excited and build your rig trust me i know the feeling. But trust me when i say this and im sure alot of others will back me up when i say, in the long run you will be SO much more happy with yourself if you take the time out to put together something you want, and then save up for a few months and then purchase everything at once.

i built this system im am using now 3 yrs ago and it's still kicking and i spent around 1400$ and this was TOP of the LINE when i bought it.

now i recently am gonna just add a new gfx card and a new raptor and this PC is ready for atleast another 2 yrs if i really wanted to.

my reccomendation is save up your xmas money... or hanakah money if your jewish.

get atleast 6-700$ together and you will be way more happy with yourself, 300$ don't even cover like 2 parts and that's not even SHIPPING and HANDLING.

hope this helps.

Rob.
Related resources
November 24, 2005 6:14:02 AM

I agree with the others, save up some more money, so you can actually buy option 1.

option 2 is all right, but 939 will last way longer

Get at least 512mb of RAM, get a nvidia (nForce4) or ATI chipset, and rock on. I'm not sure why u want the 6800 graphics card, take a look at lower end cards that are still really good - remeber your eye cant physically detect more than 40fps. Check out the new X1k series from ATI or the 6600GT's if u r a nvidia fanboy.

Remeber that if you are upgrading, you are probably gona want a new power supply or your computer wont run. Period.

http://www.jscustompcs.com/power_supply/ is a power supply calculator, it shows you how much you nedd.

Have fun now.
November 24, 2005 11:52:07 AM

Quote:
option 2 is all right, but 939 will last way longer

Until M2 socket displaces it. [/shrug] 939 will be supported on performance processors thru Q2 '07 and Sempron thru 07, but you probably won't be upgrading by then. If you can get those parts at those prices, then the s754/6800GS will last the longest without upgrading.
November 25, 2005 12:26:20 AM

I disagree: Socket 939 has been far more popular than Socket 754, and despite the fact that M2 is replacing it, I dont see vendors stopping shipping 939 systems, motherboards ad processors overnight.

Socket A, anyone?
November 25, 2005 12:57:34 AM

Just because you can still buy socket A boards doesn't mean its still supposrted....Socket A was cut off once 939 cameout....and sky 754 will probably go when M2 comes out....your right it wont stop overnight but how many good CPUS came out for 754 when 939 was out? None that i know of....
November 25, 2005 12:28:31 PM

You obviously:
1. Did not read what I wrote.
2. Read and didn't understand what I wrote.
or
3. Read, understood and ignored what I wrote.

I'll quote what I said and let you try again:
Quote:
939 will be supported on performance processors thru Q2 '07 and Sempron thru 07,

M2 arrives in Jun/Jul of '06 - I clearly stated that s939 will be supported thru 07. A s754 3000+ will easily OC to 3400+ levels and that 6800GS will spank the 6600GT. That system will last longer without upgrade, then option 1.
November 26, 2005 10:55:35 PM

Quote:
Just because you can still buy socket A boards doesn't mean its still supposrted....Socket A was cut off once 939 cameout....and sky 754 will probably go when M2 comes out....your right it wont stop overnight but how many good CPUS came out for 754 when 939 was out? None that i know of....

So the fact that a Socket A board is still great performance, and a high performing Socket A/Socet A CPU and Pc3200 RAM can be had for under $300 means nothing to you?

Somone has showers in little green notes I thunk...
November 27, 2005 12:47:28 AM

I would NOT reccomend anyone getting SOCKET A.

It's SHORTLY supported, ZERO upgradeability.

Saving up some more money and going with 939 will open the upgrade doors and have your PC last till 08 09 easily.

I've had socket A setup for about 3 1/2 yrs now.

AGP is done with, and soon to be IDE.

Anything new coming out is pci-e, sata.
---------------------------------------------------
it wouldn't be wise to get socket A and say XP barton and never be able to upgrade.. then going with amd 64 3000+ for 141$ and 939 board for another 150.. and have upgradability for YEARS to come.

You'd be throwing your money away on Socket A.
November 27, 2005 2:39:02 AM

Yea dude save up a lil more.... Start by buying what you can (ie, mobo, processor) and in the meantime while saving video card prices may fall a little.
November 27, 2005 6:41:45 AM

Quote:
I would NOT reccomend anyone getting SOCKET A.

It's SHORTLY supported, ZERO upgradeability.

Saving up some more money and going with 939 will open the upgrade doors and have your PC last till 08 09 easily.

I've had socket A setup for about 3 1/2 yrs now.

AGP is done with, and soon to be IDE.

Anything new coming out is pci-e, sata.
---------------------------------------------------
it wouldn't be wise to get socket A and say XP barton and never be able to upgrade.. then going with amd 64 3000+ for 141$ and 939 board for another 150.. and have upgradability for YEARS to come.

You'd be throwing your money away on Socket A.

Wasnt suggesting he get a socket A system now - that would be well, kinda stupid

Was using Socket A as an example that Socket 939 is going to be around for a while yet.

Sorry for any confusion.
November 27, 2005 6:19:52 PM

Ahhh, Sorry mis Understood you.

yea socket A lasted for around 3-4 yrs.

so will s939 hopefully cause that's my next platform.

Good Luck

Rob.
!