Oops... "version of chkdsk cannot be run on this volume"

A week or so back I needed to upgradre an IIS webserving drive
(running on NT 4.0 Sp6a) from a 10gb to a 20gb drive. Remebering from
past experiences, the easiest way was to slave the new drive into to
server and then use Disk Administrator to create the three partitions;
two x 8gB (NTFS) and a third 4gB FAT 32 partition. I then used Ghost6
to move the data across in a "partition to partition" ghost.

But the drive would not boot.

Oh, right.! No active partition. When saw this blinding light I
happened to have the drive slaved in an XP-Pro machine so I simply
nipped into Disk Admin and made the first partition primary. Voila,
it worked fine.

But now, a week later , I've discovered that to have been a sloppy
solution as I cannot get CHKDSK /F to run.! It produces the following
error message....

"The type of file system is NTFS
Cannot lock current drive.
This NTFS volume was created or modified by a later version
of Windows NT.
This version of chkdsk cannot be run on this volume.
You must boot the version of NT that created/modified this
volume and run chkdsk from that installation."

Gulp.! And I wonder what else is wrong with the disk now.

So maybe in Disk Administrator I can change the Active Partitions
around and that will sort the problem out. But in the Partition Menu
the Mark Active option is greyed out for these partitions. This
occurs also when I slave the drive into another NT 4.0 Server.

Reassigning drive letters etc. has worked, but that hasn't corrected
the CHKDSK issue.

It seems that the writing to the disk by the XP-Pro machine has
changed something that's confusing a lot of stuff here. And the
stability of this drive is really a concern now.

There's a huge amount of data change on this server and I really
wouldn't want to rollback seven days.!

Anyone have any idea as to how I can clean this drive up and at least
get it recognising CHKDSK ?

thanks

.les.

o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o
Les Juby lesjuby@anti-spam.iafrica.com
Webpro Internet - - - Prosoft Microsystems
Durban, KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa
P.O.Box 35243, Northway 4065, South Africa
Tel: +27 31 563-8344 Fax: +27 31 564-4928
o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o
(you *do* know to take "anti-spam" out the address....?

You won't be able to natively since the NTFS partitions were automatically
upgraded by Windows 2000/XP also note that Windows NT won't know anything
about the fat32 partition.

http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/ntfschk.shtml

--
Regards,