VIDEO CARD UPGRADE

I currently have the following system;

Abit KV7 motherboard with 1GB DDR333 RAM
Athlon XP3000+ processor
ATI 9600 Pro 128MB 8x AGP gfx card.

what would be a suitable upgrade to the graphics card to improve flight
simulator.

Thanks
10 answers Last reply
More about video card upgrade

    Save your money. The 9800 Pro is as good as any for FS9.

    "Steve Simpson" <stevieiz@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >I currently have the following system;
    >
    > Abit KV7 motherboard with 1GB DDR333 RAM
    > Athlon XP3000+ processor
    > ATI 9600 Pro 128MB 8x AGP gfx card.
    >
    > what would be a suitable upgrade to the graphics card to improve flight
    > simulator.
    >
    > Thanks

    "Steve Simpson"
    > Abit KV7 motherboard with 1GB DDR333 RAM
    > Athlon XP3000+ processor
    > ATI 9600 Pro 128MB 8x AGP gfx card.
    >
    > what would be a suitable upgrade to the graphics card to improve flight
    > simulator.

    Jeez.. what's the problem? Half the people in this group would kill for
    your computer.

    Seriously, you should be able to run with most things maxed out - what is
    the problem?

    Dallas

    Dallas wrote:

    > Jeez.. what's the problem? Half the people in this group would kill for
    > your computer.
    >
    > Seriously, you should be able to run with most things maxed out - what is
    > the problem?
    >
    > Dallas

    Yeah. What he said. ;)

    Huw

    On Thu, 3 Mar 2005 20:40:54 -0000, "Steve Simpson"
    <stevieiz@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >I currently have the following system;
    >
    >Abit KV7 motherboard with 1GB DDR333 RAM
    >Athlon XP3000+ processor
    >ATI 9600 Pro 128MB 8x AGP gfx card.
    >
    >what would be a suitable upgrade to the graphics card to improve flight
    >simulator.
    >
    >Thanks

    January 2005 Issue of Computer Pilot Magazine tested about 35 video
    cars and compared one against the other. Top 4 ratings went to
    GeForce 6800 Ultra
    GeForce 6800 GT
    X800 XTPE
    Radeon 9800 Pro256

    With the same setup, frame rates varied from a low of about 8 FPS to a
    high of over 80. If I were buying a card, I would get a copy of this
    issue and see where the one I wanted to purchase, ranks.

    www.computerpilot.com

    Bob

    Bob Cordone wrote:

    > January 2005 Issue of Computer Pilot Magazine tested about 35 video
    > cars and compared one against the other. Top 4 ratings went to
    > GeForce 6800 Ultra
    > GeForce 6800 GT
    > X800 XTPE
    > Radeon 9800 Pro256
    >
    > With the same setup, frame rates varied from a low of about 8 FPS to a
    > high of over 80. If I were buying a card, I would get a copy of this
    > issue and see where the one I wanted to purchase, ranks.
    >
    > www.computerpilot.com
    >

    > Bob

    Guess what? I have what can at best be described as an average system -
    512 MB RAM, 2.6 GHz P4, ATI Radeon 9000 - and I just tried cranking
    /all/ the detail options up. It ran smooth as poo. :)

    <stevieiz@hotmail.com> brought the following to our attention:

    >I currently have the following system;
    >
    >Abit KV7 motherboard with 1GB DDR333 RAM
    >Athlon XP3000+ processor
    >ATI 9600 Pro 128MB 8x AGP gfx card.
    >
    >what would be a suitable upgrade to the graphics card to improve flight
    >simulator.
    >
    >Thanks

    That would be an AMD 3GHz nominal clock speed CPU? and a 128MB
    forced-air cooled video card? Amazing!! Now I'm going to be a wise
    guy and describe my `upgraded' video card... yeah in 1998.. it was
    upgraded. :) First have a look at these images..

    Memphis Departure
    http://mywebpages.comcast.net/flightsim/Memphis-100.jpg (294k)

    Cleveland Night Cruise
    http://mywebpages.comcast.net/flightsim/721_Cleveland.jpg (225k)

    El Paso Approach
    http://mywebpages.comcast.net/flightsim/El_Paso_approach.jpg (256k)

    Can you tell what Sim platform is running?? well it's a 0.5GHz P3's
    with 32MB nVidia Riva TNT2. Ya' know what graphics card that is?
    It's a Diamond Viper 770!! Are you having more fun with 3.0GHz?
    Probably a little more fun than here. How's that for squeezing the
    last drops out of minimalist hardware? Has clouds, AI, and 1280x
    1024 display screen. Notice the trade-offs? Oh yeah.. it's FS2002.

    Am planning to get a new Sim box?? Not anytime soon. :)

    -Gregory
  7. Quote:

    I currently have the following system;

    Abit KV7 motherboard with 1GB DDR333 RAM
    Athlon XP3000+ processor
    ATI 9600 Pro 128MB 8x AGP gfx card.

    what would be a suitable upgrade to the graphics card to improve flight
    simulator.

    Thanks

    good system you shouldn't change it except up the ram a bit

    here is my system info and i haven't found game that wont work

    cool master tower 6 fans cranked up to 100%, gigabyte board w/Intel i5 pros. O.C.ed to 3.30 GHz, 8 GB corsair vengeance ram, nvidia gforce 620 w/2gb f.b. O.C.ed to 770/gpu O.C.ed mem./560
  8. reaper0134 said:
    good system you shouldn't change it except up the ram a bit

    here is my system info and i haven't found game that wont work

    cool master tower 6 fans cranked up to 100%, gigabyte board w/Intel i5 pros. O.C.ed to 3.30 GHz, 8 GB corsair vengeance ram, nvidia gforce 620 w/2gb f.b. O.C.ed to 770/gpu O.C.ed mem./560

    Why would you bring back up a 7 year old thread..?? :heink:
  9. Lol 1gb ram was good back then
  10. lmao... this thread should be locked or something... I thought I was being trolled... but when I looked at the date when it was posted I was like "oh" XD

Graphics Cards Microsoft Video Games