November 24, 2005 3:33:52 PM

Hi, my current computer is

Asus A7N8X Deluxe nForce2
2x256MB Corsair XMS 333 RAM
AMD Barton 2500+ 333
Western Digital SE 80GB 8MB 7200RPM IDE
Plextor 12x CDRW
Sound Blaster Live with Live Drive Bay
Antec 350W Model #PP-352X (15A on +12, 33A on +5, 20A on +3.3)

I have a WD SE 250GB 8MB SATA II already ordered on its way.

Upgrading for gaming.
1) I would like to know which video card would be best upgrade for this cpu so that there isnt a huge bottleneck. The 6600GT 128 seems like a good card but would it be overkill for my cpu?

2) Do I need to get a better power supply when I add in the new video card and hard drive? Also would taking out the sound blaster and the live drive and use the onboard audio (how does the onboard audio compare with the sound blaster?) free up some power as to not need to get a new power supply?

3) Also, should I get another 512 MB of RAM to improve performance and if so would dual channel still work or does that not matter as much as getting more RAM?

Thanks any advice is greatly appreciated.

More about : advice upgrading parts

November 24, 2005 9:53:20 PM

512 is fine for gaming for you....dont worry, plenty of other things will bottleneck you long before you need to worry about upgrading your ram.....if you have the money for it....sure.

A 6600GT is not a bad card for you....it seems about right.

You might need a better PSU, but dont worry abut that till you get everythign put together. If you get random crashes then its your PSU. No need upgrading when you are probably under 350W. Use your SB card....it will take a small strain off of your CPU for games....and it uses nearly no power.
November 24, 2005 11:29:05 PM

Quote:
3) Also, should I get another 512 MB of RAM to improve performance and if so would dual channel still work or does that not matter as much as getting more RAM?

Depends on the games you play. Some games see a significant improvemnt with the extra RAM. If you buy a single 512MB stick, then you will lose dual channel. Are you going to OC this rig? If yes, then you can get a set of Value series DDR400 (2X512MB) for about $70. You'll only be OCing the CPU/mobo when you take the FSB up to 200Mhz.
!