Windows 7x64 Freezes with loud popping/buzzing sounds

evilchinesefood

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
Ok this is not a new problem. The more and more I think about it it very well could be a hardware issue. This problem is just absolutely bizarre.

Basically after watching a movie on netflix (This is important as it only freezes on movies here), playing a game, or just at the desktop it will freeze. When it freezes nothing works but there is a hillasiouly loud buzzing sound. Normally loud than the sound was set for. Now this problem can go for weeks with no problems or in 3 days occur 10 times or more. Its been espically bad lately since i have been using netflix again.

Computer set up
Processor - AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz
RAM - Mushkin XP 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
Graphics - EVGA 896-P3-1255-AR GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 896MB
Motherboard - ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO AM3
PSU - CORSAIR HX Series CMPSU-850HX 850W Modular Active PFC Power Supply
Operating System - Windows 7 x64
Cooling - COOLER MASTER V8 120mm Rifle CPU Cooler
Hard Drive 1
Western Digital Caviar Black 500GB 7200 RPM
Hard Drive 2
Western Digital Caviar Black 320GB 7200

Now one other point i feel i should mention that has always made me scratch my head is i have always had problems with this computer. I have upgraded every part at least once and as far back as i can remember i have similar problems. I do feel like their are times when its been worse and times when its been great. Power-Supply, Motherboard and CPU are less than a year old i believe last summer. Other parts were a year. I did used to have a Sound Blaster Sound card. I believed it to be the problem so i threw it against the wall, later to find out the errors still occurring. Using on-board sound now. :)

Drivers are up to date.
Memtest shows no errors after 24 hours.
Temperatures seem to be in normal range
Load capacities when things happen are no more than 50% at the absolute most.

I have even looked into power options in windows 7 with balance and performance. I have had some minor success at time where when its set to balance the errors occur much less.

Also Side note (I have Headphones and speakers set with subwolper) Speakers have always been finakey and had strange noises with them. I have had the freeze with speakers, headphones, but as far as i know never with out.

Im willing to listen and try almost anything.

Its not a data concern, Things are backed up. One other side note i formatted about 2 months ago, so its semi clean install.

evilchinesefood

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
Ok so i took some temperture readings. Not extrememly hot but with the die case open running under load about

102-105F CPU
73-75F CPU Not load

I ordered new High Output fans and Controller just a minute ago. Im guessing that is a possible cause. I have a very tight up case. Plenty of room in it and decant air flow but will try that anyway. It froze last night 6 times in a row one after another until it was turned off for about 5 minutes. Possible cause.

evilchinesefood

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
I would agree 2 problems first my psu is only a year or so old. Second and more importantly i had the same problem before this psu its just been something i have worked around for about a year. Tried to fix it before on other forums and wasn't able to be fixed. This problem happens every so often. I can go day or weeks without anything and then one day have it happen several times. Fans will be in tomorrow ill check overall temperatures and see if it seems to help at all.

evilchinesefood

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
So i set it at Memory Over Voltage [1.8600] That's the lowest it can go being closest to 1.85. I cant pick 1.85 is that what it should be? I don't understand what you mean one step at a time. I'm sorry ram bios settings is new to me.

evilchinesefood

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
One more new important note i feel. I never could get prime 95 working it always freezes when i chose the stress test with ram. Without ram it runs great. Ram test with it freezes instantly. That's with 1.90v

PS - Thanks so much for helping guys. I really appreciate this. Giving me one hell of a headache.

PPS - OK so i put my speed of my clock value to 667 really messing with the values. I ran prime 95 on full load with ram for 7 minutes until i turned it off myself its never not frozen before which i hope is a great sign. ALSO wanted to run some temperatures by you all from it.

CPU was at 110F
Ram was at 107.6F

Are those safe? Do you think setting my clock values to 667 could have fixed it?

pat

Expert
slowing down the memory speed stabilize the whole thing for sure, and needs less voltage to be stable. So, if your computer is stable this way, I would let it like that. You wont really notice the performance difference unless you do benchmarking.

evilchinesefood

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
yes i did finally. Its the ram. Timing issue with my particular ram. It cant be over clocked or under-clocked or it freezes for some reason. I found others having the same problem and got their butter zone. For now im good. Ill just buy new ram soon.