Putting together a new system: small form factor

stevecwi

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2005
I'm going to be putting together a new system for myself in the next couple of months, and I am considering a small form factor setup.

I've been thinking about doing this for a while now, so I had been paying attention to the cases that were out there, but I have been sidelined from doing so for about six months. The result: the landscape has changed significantly since last I looked. I'm looking for some suggestions on the case to get, as well as a setup that has been successful for any of you.

Here are the specs on what I'm looking for:

First, it is going to be in a living room area, so sound is an issue. I am also looking for something with a distinctive look that doesn't look too cheezy. I have been using AMD chips for the last three PCs I've built, so I will most likely go with them.

I'm going to use the system for gaming primarily, but also for all the usual stuff. I will have a projector setup, so something I can use to put out some seriously large images and show movies on would be nice, but aren't required. I will be looking at burning DVDs, so that is a must (but also the least of my worries at this point).

I'd like your opinions on what you think is practical. Budget isn't really too much of an issue here, I could easily spend 2-3000 on the whole thing, but I'm not sure that's really necessary to do: my last two PCs were about 1200 to set up, and they were gaming machines...

At this point I am not really sure this is feasable, since there were a number of speed and heat issues with small form factor, and I'm going to need to put in a hard-core video card which means the power supply will take a hit. If that's your opinion, let me know that as well, as I can certainly put together a nice mini tower system as well.

Not a huge fan of SFF PCs - they seem to take up more room than they save. Anandtech did a recent review on HTPC cases - take a look at those. I think one of the things a lot of people are finding is a lack of well-rounded hardware for HTPC.