should i upgrade? or is there something i can do?

cdpage

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2001
Based on my system below and a possible problem i have, should i upgrade my Vid Card?

I'm thinking about buying Splinter Cell, but im not sure if my PC'll keep up...or continue to work for that matter.

I should note, I have a 19" LCD (1280x1024) 193P+ so I'd like the Games Res to match the Native Res. I have played the BattleField2 Demo from time to time, it doesn't have the option in the game to go to that high a reolution so i play at 1024x768. Does Slpinter cell go that high?

I used to have the setting set to low on some and medium on a few others, with AA set to 2x. I have since changed this to all Low with AA off.

Reason Being, I think my system over heats. after playing for a couple hours I'll find problems in the game, blocks of water unrendered (a faded black look to them) OR there is a vector problem. (one corner of an triagle like piece is stretch across the playing field.)

...First thing, I will Update my Cat Driver...tho i know i did when i first installed BF2, so that 'shouldn't' be the prob.

I'm looking for a little advice.

thanks

Sounds like a heat/GPU issue. Artifacts indicate GPU and the timefram indicates that it may be related to heat.

How's your case ventilation? Last time you cleaned the intake/exhaust fans or interior of the case?

cdpage

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2001
I clean it ever once in a whileblast it with air... I just check it now.
its pretty clean... could use ablast again to get at the really fine stuff, but i don't have a can at the moment.

Ventalation... Well i have a case with a side fan, I have tryed i with the side panel off and with the side panel half off.

there is nothing realy close to the card, and the wires are enough away that they shouldn't pose a problem.

I just tryed Running BF2 again... this time I just turned it on logged into a game and walked away. by the time a came back computer was frozen with the monitor off(or at least sleeping)

Needed a hard power down.

This happens from time to time also.

Oh and i just uninstalled my Cat Driver and installed the latest one, with out CCC.

slinky2397

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2005
I had a ton of problems like this, and at first I thought it was my card (I have a GF4 Ti4200) and one thing that really helped for a while was putting a regular desk fan pointing at my card. But I finally realized this wasn't the problem, so I ended up buying a new CPU fan and everything has worked perfect ever since, so maybe check that out too.

cleeve

Illustrious
To see if you have a power problem, get motherboard monitoring software and check your voltages. If they're more than 10% off of spec there's probabbly a problem there.

But it's easier to diagnose a cooling problem... first off, make sure your power supply fan is working. If it's not, that's a problem...

If it's working, take the side off your case and point a house fan at it and play some hardcore games. If it doesn't crash, it's a heat issue.

cdpage

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2001
For the first point, what software do you recommend?

i more or less did the later by taking off the side panel and directing the AC breeze at the case. I was able to play for noticably longer. Sometimes i'd get a crash sometimes not.

All my Fans work, and the case is quite clean in there.

I took out the vid Card and cleaned it really well, not sure about doing the same with the CPU but i gave that a good blast of air, and i have even vacuumed the case out.

So dust is not an issue.

what can cause heat build up?

the CPU and GPU are the primary heat sources... what else would create enough heat to make a diffeance?

Plekto

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2004
Check out my older thread on cooling.
Synopsis:
1:A slot-fan does wonders. Put one slot away from the graphics card so as to not cause excessive pressure on the fan on the card.
2:Use a Dremel or simmilar to grind out the grille on the back for the main exhaust fan. There should be a nice hole now - install a thin wire screen(rounded wire - plain as possible - maximum airflow) If possible, get a 120mm fan.(note - this requires a full dissassembly)
3:Open up a 3.5 bay(remove cover) or simmilar to let in more air. If the case has a side hole for an intake fan, just put a grille on it and leave the hole open. - same airflow, less noise.
These three can easily drop your system temp by 10-15 C. Most cases are built for looks and not airflow. It also gets rid of the largely useless intake fan and lowers system noise by 10db or more.

cleeve

Illustrious
Great free software is "Motherboard Monitor". Check Google.

Odd. If you could play noticably longer, that does point to a heat issue. I'm starting to think it might be:

1. Your CPU or GPU cooler isn't seated properly, or

2. It might still be a less-than-perfect PSU, it just fails when it gets hot and under load.

Get that monitoring software!