Profile increments each login

The client recently had a series of power failures, now
each time the user logs on, the profile increments.

The profile folder contains folders: user, user.bak,
user.001, user.002, user.003, etc, etc.

Initially I recreated the desktop and configured OE and
got the apps to work, but after a reboot, new profile
folder, new desktop and the apps didn't work.

Any ideas, the KB didn't show anything similar.

FYI, NT4.0 sp6a.

Andrew

Last 3 lines of MSKB 185198 solved it for me.

Cheers