Dual cores r expensive why not have two processors on the MB

backlashwave

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2005
AMD's dual core solutions seem to be expensive ,i always wonder why we don't have dual proceesor motherboards ,it makes things do easy,if want the second processor or if there is requirement for more processing powerfor more work buy it else run it with a single processor.

are there any motherboards that support two athlon 64's?

endyen

Splendid
are there any motherboards that support two athlon 64's?
Yes, and no. Most s940 mobos support FX chips, with 940 pins. Those chips can be used(I believe but not certain) in pairs. They are the only modern desktop chips that can be used in two socket mobos.
Generally speaking, dual socket mobos are a lot more expensive than single socket boards, and a dual core chip, is cheaper than two single core chips, so you are better off buying dual core, if you are one of the few who actually needs it, or one of the many who are so computer illiterate that it's usefull.

julius

Distinguished
May 19, 2004
no, having a two processor mobo is NOT more efficient than having a dual core chip. fist off, theres no board for a64 that supports dual processor. second, dual processor is less efficient from the standpoint that each processor needs a socket, so its more expensive for the mobo maker, and two processor eat up more power than one dual core, so the mobo has more stress on power regulaion scheme, and youll need a better psu. last, if you want an aftermarket cooler, youll need two of them.
edit: endyen is right, the s940 fx chips, but i dont think you can use it in a dual s940 system. i think those fx chips were converted 1xx opterons.

Steele

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2004
There's a lot of mainboards that support dual Opteron processors, and those are 64-bit. A little more pricey, perhaps, but certainly they qualify.

Steele

Atolsammeek

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
One thing about Motherboards that have 2 cpu sockets. It generates More heat and Power vers Dual core cpu setup.

Mother board that has two cpu sockets You need two heatsinks and Fans to cool system= Useage of power

Vers

Ondie dual core cpu which uses 1 cpu heatsink and Fan. Which will use less heat and power.

RichPLS

Champion
XBIT Labs - AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ Dual-Core Processor Review Conclusion

The use of dual-core solutions in desktop systems can significantly improve the performance in a number of applications supporting multi-threading. Since Pentium 4 processors have had “virtual” multi-threading support implemented in Hyper-Threading technology for a long time already, the software developers are offering quite a lot of applications where you can benefit from dual-core architecture. Among the applications where dual-core solutions will ensure a dramatic performance improvement we could list video and audio encoding tools, 3D modeling and rendering systems, photo and video editing applications and professional graphics CAD applications.

Besides there is a lot of software that doesn’t support multi-threading at all or has very limited support for it. Among these tasks are office applications, web-browsers, e-mail clients, media players and games. However, even in these applications you can still enjoy some benefits of the dual-core processor architecture. For example, when there are a few tasks running simultaneously.

Summing up everything we have just said, we would like to offer you one more last diagram where we illustrate the performance advantage of the new AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ dual-core CPU over the single-core Athlon 64 4000+ working at the same clock frequency of 2.4GHz.

res.png

As you can see from the diagram, Athlon 64 X2 4800+ appears much faster than its counterpart from the Athlon 64 family. And if it were not for the crazily high price of the new Athlon 64 X2 4800+ exceeding $1,000, I would definitely call this processor a great choice. Especially, since it doesn’t fall behind its single-core fellows in any applications.

Keeping in mind the price of the new Athlon 64 X2, we have to admit that these CPUs can so far be regarded as one more excellent choice for wealthy hardware enthusiasts, just like Athlon 64 FX. Those who care most about the performance in applications other than games will definitely pay due attention to the new AMD Athlon 64 X2 processor family. Extreme gamers, however, are most likely to stay dedicated to Athlon 64 FX.

That sounds like a great processer for a fair price... Ya gotta pay to have cutting edge products. If you can get by on a 4000+ go for a 3200+

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
once upon a time i considered a dual cpu rig... but then dual cores came along and i got what i wanted for alot less.

For the average enthusiast the problem with dual cpu boards are:

A. having the desing for 2 physical cpu's means the board is more complex, uses more power, has less realestate for pci slots and thus is more expensive
B. you hae to get opteron 2xx 940 chips that come with a price premium.
C. you may have to run registered ram, which has a slight performance loss and again a price premium
D. many dual cpu boards still run both cpu's through one ram bank, and windows OS doesnt support 2 seperate ram banks on 2 seperate cpu's... i forget the technical term for this... so essentially a windows OS wont benefit from having 2 dual channel memory interfaces.
E. as they are server type boards build quality may be better, but overclocking is usually close to non-existant.
F. need 2 coolers, more cost, more noise.

So adding up all the costs, a dual cpu rig is far more expensive and complex than a single cpu rig containing a dualcore.