x800GTO (powercolor) Vs. 6600GT Vs. x800GT...

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
helping a friend put together a system.. But he needs it pretty quick, and the X1600 that was ordered isn't in stock, and seems unlikely to be for a while, so Around the same price point are the cards in the subject.

The X800GTO is the obvious choice, right? ..... Except it's a powercolor :(
Now I know they're generally ill-regarded, but have they improved at all? All the cards have 128Mb of RAM. There are a variety of 6600GTs available from various manufacturers at around the same price.

Assuming the PC card works, I would go for that, but because it's helping someone else I'm reluctant to not go with a decent brand....

Anyone tried PC's latest stuff?

PluggedN

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2005
If you go for the X800GTO go with the Connect3d one. Its the ONLY GTO that is unlockable to 16 pipelines with a simple bios flash and is overclockable to the x850xt or even xtpe speeds with good cooling.....stay away from the 128mb version

By the way the connect3d x800gto is on sale at newegg.com for 174 bucks with a 25 dollar mail in rebate which is around 150 bucks total for an extremely tweakable card

The 6600gt isnt a bad option however if you dont go with the x800gto go with the 6800GS which is around 200 bucks from newegg.com

Tell him to have patience and get a card he will be happy with and not to settle for for something less because he cant wait a day or two :wink:

cleeve

Illustrious
The X800 GTO2 is also guaranteed to unlock 16 pipes with a BIOS flash... Sapphire makes em, I think.

Powercolor isn't that bad if it's your only option. They're certainly better than they were a couple years ago.