Please explain lights

Hullo!

Disclaimer: Yes, I really am this anal. ;)

Could anybody please explain to me the correct times to use each of the
different lights? OK, so "taxi" and "land" are pretty self-explanatory,
but what about the rest?

Cheers,
Huw

"Huw Roberts" <f@ke.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> Hullo!
>
> Disclaimer: Yes, I really am this anal. ;)
>
> Could anybody please explain to me the correct times to use each of the
> different lights? OK, so "taxi" and "land" are pretty self-explanatory,
> but what about the rest?
>
> Cheers,
> Huw

Are they? ;-)) So taxi lights only for taxi and landing lights only for
landing? lol....just kidding.
As this question has been brought up several times already I'll just copy
and paste what I wrote some months ago on that subject. Feel free to ask
for more details if needed.

[snip]
A general rule (depending on operators procedures) for using the lights:

Rotating beacon -> whenever engines are running, thus just prior to engine
start switch it on (day and night)

Strobe lights -> entering the T/O runway OR cleared for T/O (however A/C
with automatic strobes will switch them on at lift-off, day and night)
switch off when leaving RWY after landing, auto strobes will switch off at
touchdown

Nav Lights -> only required for night operation, but often switched on
daytime also

taxi light -> whenever MOVING under own power, upon T/O when celared for
T/O, upon landing when cleared to land (day and night)

landing light -> upon T/O when cleared for T/O, switch off when climbing
through FL100/10'000 ft , upon landing when descending through FL100/10'000
ft (day and night), switch off when leaving the RWY.

Obseve that there are no strict rules (except for the rotating beacon) but
mainly prescribed procedures by operators. However the above described way
will never lead to any complaints. Well, at least not to me as I used it for
more that 20 years.... ;-)
[snip]

Hope that helps a bit ;-)
--
Oskar
(retired captain)

Oskar Wagner wrote:

> Are they? ;-)) So taxi lights only for taxi and landing lights only for
> landing? lol....just kidding.
> As this question has been brought up several times already I'll just copy
> and paste what I wrote some months ago on that subject. Feel free to ask
> for more details if needed.
>
> [snip]
> A general rule (depending on operators procedures) for using the lights:
>
> Rotating beacon -> whenever engines are running, thus just prior to engine
> start switch it on (day and night)
>
> Strobe lights -> entering the T/O runway OR cleared for T/O (however A/C
> with automatic strobes will switch them on at lift-off, day and night)
> switch off when leaving RWY after landing, auto strobes will switch off at
> touchdown
>
> Nav Lights -> only required for night operation, but often switched on
> daytime also
>
> taxi light -> whenever MOVING under own power, upon T/O when celared for
> T/O, upon landing when cleared to land (day and night)
>
> landing light -> upon T/O when cleared for T/O, switch off when climbing
> through FL100/10'000 ft , upon landing when descending through FL100/10'000
> ft (day and night), switch off when leaving the RWY.
>
> Obseve that there are no strict rules (except for the rotating beacon) but
> mainly prescribed procedures by operators. However the above described way
> will never lead to any complaints. Well, at least not to me as I used it for
> more that 20 years.... ;-)
> [snip]
>
> Hope that helps a bit ;-)

Yep, that's exactly what I was looking for. Cheers Oskar!

Huw

Huw Roberts wrote:
> Hullo!
>
> Disclaimer: Yes, I really am this anal. ;)
>
> Could anybody please explain to me the correct times to use each of the
> different lights? OK, so "taxi" and "land" are pretty self-explanatory,
> but what about the rest?

Taxi: To mildly annoy the oncoming pilots
Landing: To REALLY annoy the on-coming pilots
Strobes: To give them a headache as well
(2nd use for strobes: if you're throwing a 70s-themed party outside the
airplane)

John

--
To reply, remove "die.spammers" from address

At my flight school the instructors usually just used the rotating beacon
when flying VFR in Daytime. That is, Beacon on before engine start (when you
call "clear Prop".) and then off when the engine was off and before main
switch turned off. The rest of the lights were left off unless you were
flying NVFR or IFR.

Night flying required the Nav Lights and the Landing lights when on the
runway or approaching it.

A few other schools used Nav and Strobes even for VFR flights in daytime and
it'd be interesting seeing a Cessna fly past with a white flashing strobe.
Wasn't too much of an issue in day time but I'd imagine at night it could
get a bit bright.

"The Lindbergh Baby" <johngrabowski1@die.spammersearthlink.net> wrote in
message news:4227CB4B.7070305@die.spammersearthlink.net...
> Huw Roberts wrote:
>> Hullo!
>>
>> Disclaimer: Yes, I really am this anal. ;)
>>
>> Could anybody please explain to me the correct times to use each of the
>> different lights? OK, so "taxi" and "land" are pretty self-explanatory,
>> but what about the rest?
>
> Taxi: To mildly annoy the oncoming pilots
> Landing: To REALLY annoy the on-coming pilots
> Strobes: To give them a headache as well
> (2nd use for strobes: if you're throwing a 70s-themed party outside the
> airplane)
>

> John
>
> --
> To reply, remove "die.spammers" from address
>

> Von Herzen, moge es wieder zu Herzen gehen. --Beethoven

My instructor and FBO owner asked me to leave the landing light off in
the most dense area of aviation traffic in the world ( South Florida),
because the landing lights were expensive to replace. Soon as I took
off, the light went on.. :)

Bob

On Sun, 6 Mar 2005 12:42:21 +1100, "Trent Hopkinson"
<hoppys1@optusnet.com.au> wrote:

>At my flight school the instructors usually just used the rotating beacon
>when flying VFR in Daytime. That is, Beacon on before engine start (when you
>call "clear Prop".) and then off when the engine was off and before main
>switch turned off. The rest of the lights were left off unless you were
>flying NVFR or IFR.
>
>Night flying required the Nav Lights and the Landing lights when on the
>runway or approaching it.
>
>A few other schools used Nav and Strobes even for VFR flights in daytime and
>it'd be interesting seeing a Cessna fly past with a white flashing strobe.
>Wasn't too much of an issue in day time but I'd imagine at night it could
>get a bit bright.
>
>"The Lindbergh Baby" <johngrabowski1@die.spammersearthlink.net> wrote in
>message news:4227CB4B.7070305@die.spammersearthlink.net...
>> Huw Roberts wrote:
>>> Hullo!
>>>
>>> Disclaimer: Yes, I really am this anal. ;)
>>>
>>> Could anybody please explain to me the correct times to use each of the
>>> different lights? OK, so "taxi" and "land" are pretty self-explanatory,
>>> but what about the rest?
>>
>> Taxi: To mildly annoy the oncoming pilots
>> Landing: To REALLY annoy the on-coming pilots
>> Strobes: To give them a headache as well
>> (2nd use for strobes: if you're throwing a 70s-themed party outside the
>> airplane)
>>

>> John
>>
>> --
>> To reply, remove "die.spammers" from address
>>

>> Von Herzen, moge es wieder zu Herzen gehen. --Beethoven

well the strobe could also be used to keep a few nosy passengers in some
state is quietness if you force them to stear at it :)

--
www.deadlyhosting.com - Great Game, Voice and Web Hosting.
www.deadlyhosting.com/special.php for a great special.