Redirects on a Pocket Internet Explorer

August 26, 2004 5:29:03 PM

Hello,

How can a Pocket Internet Explorer be configured to deal with Redirects?
Anonymous
August 26, 2004 7:53:25 PM

Same as any other browse, 2 ways :

1) Send a Location header to the browser from your scripting language
of choice for example

PHP :

<?php
header("Location: image_click.html");
exit;
?>

or ASP :

<%
response.redirect "http://www.cnn.com"
%>

2) Place a meta refresh tag in the head of the document with your
desired time to refresh and URL location of the content :

3) Use javascript and a location.href such as :

<script language="javascript1.2">
function sendRedirect(url) {
location.href=url;
}
function domyfunctions() {
return;
}
</script>
blah
<!-- Redirect from a link after doing other script functions
-->
sendRedirect('image_click_new.html');">Click to do stuff then
redirect</a>

Cheers - Neil

On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 13:29:03 +0200, Thomas Baumann
<baumann@mpiew-jena.mpg.de> wrote:

>Hello,
>
>How can a Pocket Internet Explorer be configured to deal with Redirects?
Anonymous
August 27, 2004 2:16:10 PM

This is not nonsens... this is real... unfortunately.

--

..: Jakub Kanczugowski
..: www.PDAclub.pl

You don't have to configure the browser--it can deal with redirects out of
the box.
--
Steve Meredith [MSFT]

"Thomas Baumann" <baumann@mpiew-jena.mpg.de> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> How can a Pocket Internet Explorer be configured to deal with Redirects?
Anonymous
August 28, 2004 2:13:38 AM

I strongly disagree. I've posted demonstrable solutions to the OP's
question about redirects, in every case PIE on WM2003 behaves as any
other browser would do.

I happen to quite like netfront but it does have a significant memory
footprint, which makes it a investment in space on the device many
people may not wish to dedicate. If opera released a PPC browser, now
*there'd* be an idea <g>

If there's a specific beef about PIE you have I'm sure we can discuss
it, but with regard to the original post I stand where I did : It's
not appropriate to recommend a web developer makes people -change
browsers- to get his site to work for them, when there are perfectly
standard solutions to the issue.

Hope that clears things up ;-)
Cheers - Neil

On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 10:16:10 +0200, "Jakub Kanczugowski"
<duncan@no-spam-ever.ceti.pl> wrote:

>This is not nonsens... this is real... unfortunately.
Anonymous
August 30, 2004 3:41:16 PM

Steve Meredith [MS] wrote:

> You don't have to configure the browser--it can deal with redirects out of
> the box.
Sorry, If I disagree.
Please try to open https://webmail.mpiew-jena.mpg.de and see, wether
your Pocket-PC and Pocket IE can connect to the logon prompt.
In my tests this wasn't possible.
Some other collegues failed, too.
All failing attemps had the combination PocketPc / Pocket IE (mostly
Version 2002, I guess).

Best regards

Thomas
Anonymous
August 31, 2004 2:46:30 AM

Yes, but that's because you are specifically breaking the
implementation of the browser : In the initial page, you tell the
browser to go to /start/index.pl.

{self.location.href="/start/index.pl";}

In the index.pl page you tell the browser to redirect if
top.frames.length > 0

if(top.frames.length > 0) top.location.href="/start/index.pl";

But top.frames.length *is* zero because you're not using a frameset.
So the browser stays where it is.Your logic is flawed in this regard,
it's not possible to blame the browser for coding errors.

I remain by my initial assesment that Pocket IE is not flawed in the
way you assert, and that any of the 3 suggested methods are and remain
valid for redirecting the browser. The most appropriate way which does
not depend on variations in javascript implementation is still to send
redirect headers from the web server itself

Cheers - Neil

On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 11:41:16 +0200, Thomas Baumann

!