File permissions with w/networking

I have recently set up a network at home with a Desk and Laptop. Specific aim
was to be able to share files fully (i.e. eidt
/modify save) on my desktop with my laptop. Laptop has small hd so don't
want to hold the info there. Can see both computers and files in my network
places but when I open a desktop resident file on the laptop it allows read
only. If I go back to the Desktop and try to give permissions to users on the
laptop, I can't because when browsing locations the Desktop only shows itself
as a location. I.e. it cannot see the laptop and therefore I can't change
permissions. Can someone help? Also I find strage that the two printers I
have set up shares to the latop come up as 'Auto' when I look at them - what
does that mean?

--
Eddie

Novice Wireless Networker

Malke

Eddie Gee wrote:

> I have recently set up a network at home with a Desk and Laptop.
> Specific aim was to be able to share files fully (i.e. eidt
> /modify save) on my desktop with my laptop. Laptop has small hd so
> don't want to hold the info there. Can see both computers and files in
> my network places but when I open a desktop resident file on the
> laptop it allows read only. If I go back to the Desktop and try to
> give permissions to users on the laptop, I can't because when browsing
> locations the Desktop only shows itself as a location. I.e. it cannot
> see the laptop and therefore I can't change permissions. Can someone
> help? Also I find strage that the two printers I have set up shares to
> the latop come up as 'Auto' when I look at them - what does that mean?

I've given you a rather lengthy answer in the other newsgroup to which
you posted. Please search for your post - search for your name.

Please do not multipost; crosspost judiciously if you must. Here is a
link explaining what that means:

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers