Riwe

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2005
I think I've finished my build (as listed below). I just need to order the vga cooler, cpu cooler and the powersupply from www.ncix.com and then I can put it together and start OCing that Opteron :p

CPU: AMD Opteron 165
MotherBoard: MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum
Graphics Card: Evga E-Geforce 7800GT CO
Ram: 2gigs OCZ EL Platinum PC3200
CPU Cooler: Thermaltake CL-P0114 Big Typhoon
Video Card Cooler: Zalman VF700-CU
Power Supply: Fortron FSP/SPI AX500-A 500W
Sound Card: CREATIVE SOUND BLASTER AUDIGY 2 ZS
Case: Chenbro Xpider
1 120mm exhaust case fan
1 92mm intake case fan
2 120gig Western Digital HD's
1 CDRom
1 DvdRom
1 DvdRW

godlyatheist

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2005
Not much to say. I think your going to OC with all them coolers and the Opteron, right? I assume you game, and if you are not an ultra hard core gamer then the 2GB of PLANTINUM RAM is a waste. Downgrade to 1gb of xms ram. why a CD-ROM when you've got a DVD???

pickxx

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2004
Well if you are going to OC your system i would reccomend another Mobo, but other then that your good to go.

and for godly....you shouldn't spend money on 2GB of RAM when yu can still upgrade youe gpu and cpu....but with this OC'd cpu and OC'd cpu, he will have a beast system and although i woudn't get the extra ram....the money couldn't be spent anywhere else.

ALSO IF YOU ARE GOING TO OC, get the Si-120 and a nice beastly fan. http://www.pcalchemy.com/product_info.php/products_id/283 This is a great fan, pushes a lot of air and comes with a fan contorller so if your OC is maxed out and you only need 40cfm not 100+ you can turn it down.

Riwe

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2005
Not much to say. I think your going to OC with all them coolers and the Opteron, right? I assume you game, and if you are not an ultra hard core gamer then the 2GB of PLANTINUM RAM is a waste. Downgrade to 1gb of xms ram. why a CD-ROM when you've got a DVD???

Yes, I game all the time as well as heavy video processing. I dedcided to get the 2gigs of ram for those 2 reasons, and the fact that the way games are going 2gigs will help them along in a year.

I have the CD-Rom just because I've always had it in there. Then I had bought a Dvd Re-Writer which I used until Halflife2 came out and the game wouldn't read on my DVD Re-Writer, so I had to go out and buy a normal DVD-Rom and I just never really bothered to remove the CD-Rom.

and for godly....you shouldn't spend money on 2GB of RAM when yu can still upgrade youe gpu and cpu

Ya I could upgrade my CPU or GPU but it wouldn't do much good. The point of picking the Opteron 165 is that is is a mad overclocker (people getting 2.6-3.0Ghz) I just think it's better to OC then spend an extra $200 to get the same result/slightly higher results (if I OC the other cpu). The EVGA Geforce 78000GT I decided to get due to the fact that it beats the stock GTX in most things. I don't play games at ungodly high resolutions so I wont need the extra power that the 7800GTX or 1800XT provides me with.

And thx for the link to the fan. I may just pick one up.

pickxx

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2004
2GB of RAM for you is alright....be warned though, that 2GB wont OC as high as 1 Gb so you may have to use a RAM divider. After the OC you will have a spu faster then the FX57 and if you OC your gpu it will be faster then just about any card....you can spend a little extra on RAM. Like i said i hate people buying a 6600GT and 2GB of ram....

Keep the DVD-ROM and the burner....if you want to copy movies it cuts down on time because you have to make an image of the file on your machine.

About your OC....like i said you may want to do some research into 2GB kits...they will hold you back. I know 1GB kits that i have seen been reviewed upto 320+fsb, but i havn't seen (or been looking for) a 2GB kit that can break 300....and if you are looking for 3Ghz on air you will need a good kit or a ram divider......I'll look around for you.

pickxx

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2004
Crucial Ballistix PC4000 2GB Dual Channel Kit

Thats what you want....i saw a review site get this kit to 300. Now that was with a DFI board which has abuot a million options to mess with anything so you can ge much higher OC's if you know what your doing. I would say you could get these to aroud 275-280 without having to use advanced options....

for a mobo you want the DFI Ultra-D is a BEAST OC'er

Its got a lot of options but you dont have to use them all, they are more intimidating then anything. You would still only use 2-3 maybe 4 options for a basic OC but you can tweak to get the best OC possible if you dont mind reading and messing with some settings and testing.