Toby

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2004
after finally deciding to go after an ATI Graphics card, i need to get hold of a motherboard for my new rig, but what one!!!!

system spec so far is:

OCZ 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Dual Channel Platinum

AMD Athlon64 4000 San Diego Retail

Radeon X1800XT 512MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16

i'll also hopefully be getting 2 Raptors somewhen down the line as well.
don't want to touch Crossfire just yet, as i know there is only one board out there and it has got some bad reviews. so crossfire isn't on the list.

Read the recent Asus A8R-MVP review. Might be a good option when it hits the streets...I linked the review in another thread in here. Three current options: Epox 9NPA+ Ultra, Abit AN8 Ultra and Chaintech VNF4 Ultra. Look at price/features to make your decision...

RichPLS

Champion
I read the A8R-MVP is a reasonably-priced, full-featured board that is not really missing any important features. Instead of the limitations of SB450, it has the advantages of ULi M1575. And this value-priced board produced the highest overclocks that we have ever seen with our OCZ Rev.2 Platinum memory and our 4000+ CPU.

PluggedN

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2005
If you dont care about overclocking go with the Chaintech VNF4. You just cant beat it for the money....$69 bucks at newegg....I just cant justify spending 40% to 100% more for another mobo that has the exact same chipset / performance.