Sign in with
Your question

New PC, running REALLY SLOW :(

Last response: in Systems
November 25, 2005 12:44:57 PM

Hey everyone...my name is Chris, longtime reader of TH, 1st post.

I just bought a new computer from newegg, details in my sig, and I am stumped. Presently posting from a Dell Inspiron 600m :( 

I put everything together in the Rosewill case I got with a 400W power supply. Began loading XP Pro, and noticed that it was loading extremely slow. Just copying the disc startup files seemed to take awhile. I let XP do its thing, which took a whopping 4 hours or so.

As XP loaded, it gave me the typical "39 minutes" install time, and never seemed to deviate from the 'normal' loading time (telling me 38 minutes, and so on, with the number changing every 5-10 minutes).

Upon first boot to XP, everything is continuing to run slow, including loading apps. I never changed any bios settings, leaving everything running default.

I am stumped with this one, and not sure where to start troubleshooting. Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks.

FRUSTRATED. :?

More about : running slow

November 25, 2005 2:46:50 PM

well is it finally installed?

Check your BIOS make sure all your settings are correct on your CPU.

multiplier, FSB etc.

Check your Device Manager and checkout the Primary IDE Settings.. Make sure it's set on DMA ultra DMA

Try another HD cable.

there could be a few things that can me looked into ... And it WILL take time to sort this out.

give some more hardware specs.. HD interface, brand, model, all your other parts.
November 25, 2005 3:34:47 PM

Yes Windows is finally installed, however takes forever to boot, and locks most of the time at the Welcome screen when it does.

All BIOS settings seem to be OK for the CPU.

HD is SATA, DVD drive is IDE, and I have used other IDE cables (ATA33 and ATA66, on both IDE channels). I have even used an old Seagate 10gb ATA33 IDE drive I had hanging around and ran into the same problem.

Mobo: Asus A8N-SLI
Processor: AMD Athlon 64 3200+, 1ghz FSB, socket 939
Video: Asus EN6600GT Silencer 256 GDDR3 PCIe
HD: Western Digital Caviar SE WD2500JD 7200RPM SATA
RAM: 1GB DDR400 Corsair ValueSelect
Case/Power: Rosewill TU-155 w/ 400W power supply (P4 Ready, which may be the problem :(  )
November 25, 2005 3:42:12 PM

The other thing I have noticed about this case is that the power supply to the board is only 20-pin, while the board I am running supports 24. I have heard that SLI cards like to use those extra 4 pins for power. Could this be an issue?
!