Prints with non-Canon inks are too green in the darker areas

My Canon i550 uses the BCI3e series of tanks. I've refilled them with
one brand of ink, and bought at least three different brands of
professionally refilled tanks. I always have the same problem: Can't get
good blacks and dark greys. They always have too much green in them.
Somewhat like the photo of the gal on page 32 of the May 2004 issue of
Consumer Reports.

On my last test prints, I set the profiles with magenta at its maximum
of +50 and cyan and yellow at their minimums of -50. Still have too much
green.

Once, I forgot to remove the tape that covers the vent on the magenta
tank. That worsened the problem. After I removed the tape, the colors
were much better, but still far below what Canon inks would give.

I've done the head-cleaning (not the deep cleaning) trick; didn't help.

Is their something unique about the Canon magenta that others can't
duplicate?

Thanks for any advice.

Ray
2 answers Last reply
More about prints canon inks green darker areas

    In article <QSD9d.25577$rh4.10105023@news4.srv.hcvlny.cv.net>,
    Ray K <raykosXXX@optonline.net> wrote:

    > My Canon i550 uses the BCI3e series of tanks. I've refilled them with
    > one brand of ink, and bought at least three different brands of
    > professionally refilled tanks. I always have the same problem: Can't get
    > good blacks and dark greys. They always have too much green in them.
    > Somewhat like the photo of the gal on page 32 of the May 2004 issue of
    > Consumer Reports.

    It could also be the paper. I've had the same problem with Canon inks
    and non-Canon paper. With Canon inks and paper I get good results, so
    that is all I use now. Even if it costs a little more I save time,
    aggravation and waste.

    --
    Robert B. Peirce, Venetia, PA 724-941-6883
    bob AT peirce-family.com [Mac]

    Robert Peirce wrote:
    > In article <QSD9d.25577$rh4.10105023@news4.srv.hcvlny.cv.net>,
    > Ray K <raykosXXX@optonline.net> wrote:
    >

    >>My Canon i550 uses the BCI3e series of tanks. I've refilled them with
    >>one brand of ink, and bought at least three different brands of
    >>professionally refilled tanks. I always have the same problem: Can't get
    >>good blacks and dark greys. They always have too much green in them.
    >>Somewhat like the photo of the gal on page 32 of the May 2004 issue of
    >>Consumer Reports.
    >

    > It could also be the paper. I've had the same problem with Canon inks
    > and non-Canon paper. With Canon inks and paper I get good results, so
    > that is all I use now. Even if it costs a little more I save time,
    > aggravation and waste.

    I've been using Epson Glossy Photo Paper. ($20 for 100 8x11 sheets at
    Costco.) It works well with Canon inks, so I'm assuming that the problem
    is with the various non-Canon inks. Months ago, I used Kodak Picture
    Paper; bad results, period, even with Canon inks.

Printers Canon Green Peripherals