access point and unwired computer

laura

I recently set up a home wireless network, and currently have a docked laptop
serving as the wired base, allowing other laptops in the apartment to operate
wirelessly. Is there a way to set up a wireless network, perhaps by adding
an access point off of the wireless router, that would allow me to undock my
laptop and surf wirelessly with the others? Does a wireless network always
require a wired "base" computer?

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

"Laura" <Laura@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I recently set up a home wireless network, and currently have a docked
>laptop
> serving as the wired base, allowing other laptops in the apartment to
> operate
> wirelessly. Is there a way to set up a wireless network, perhaps by
> adding
> an access point off of the wireless router, that would allow me to undock
> my
> laptop and surf wirelessly with the others? Does a wireless network
> always
> require a wired "base" computer?

no, you can use a wireless router, or wired router and wireless access point
combination, in place of the gateway computer... assuming you get a router
that is compatible with your internet connection.

You can get a wireless access point or a wireless router, but to be truthful
I'm not sure I follow exactly what you have now. You say you have a wireless
router? In theory that is all you should need, unless you are using that
wireless router to connect to another wireless access point some where else?

David {MVP}
Microsoft Mobile Devices

"Laura" <Laura@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I recently set up a home wireless network, and currently have a docked
>laptop
> serving as the wired base, allowing other laptops in the apartment to
> operate
> wirelessly. Is there a way to set up a wireless network, perhaps by
> adding
> an access point off of the wireless router, that would allow me to undock
> my
> laptop and surf wirelessly with the others? Does a wireless network
> always
> require a wired "base" computer?

TRENDING THREADS