Windows Media player(transfering files between user accnts.)

I am the administrator. Ihave windows media player version 9, with windows xp
home operating system.Can I transfer my music files to other user accnts. on
this same computer, who do not administrator accnts.? If so, how? OR do they
have to build their own from scratch?
Thanks in advance.....Jim
3 answers Last reply
More about windows media player transfering files user accnts

    You can transfer them but they may need to take ownership to access them.
    Note: this would apply to the files you have transferred to their user
    account and ownership should be taken from their accounts as follows:

    Note, file ownership and permissions supersede administrator rights. How
    you resolve it depends upon which version of XP you are running.

    XP-Home

    Unfortunately, XP Home using NTFS is essentially hard wired for "Simple File
    Sharing" at system level.

    However, you can set XP Home permissions in Safe Mode. Reboot, and start
    hitting F8, a menu should eventually appear and one of the
    options is Safe Mode. Select it. Note, it will ask for the administrator's
    password. This is not your administrator account, rather it is the
    machine's administrator account for which users are asked to create a
    password during setup.

    If you created no such password, when requested, leave blank and press
    enter.

    Open Explorer, go to Tools and Folder Options, on the view tab, scroll to
    the bottom of the list, if it shows "Enable Simple File Sharing" deselect it
    and click apply and ok. If it shows nothing or won't let you make a change,
    move on to the next step.

    Navigate to the files, right click, select properties, go to the Security
    tab, click advanced, go to the Owner tab and select the user that was logged
    on when you were refused permission to access the files. Click apply and
    ok. Close the properties box, reopen it, click add and type in the name of
    the user you just enabled. If you wish to set ownership for everything in
    the folder, at the bottom of the Owner tab is the following selection:
    "Replace owner on subcontainers and objects," select it as well.

    Once complete, you should be able to do what you wish with these files when
    you log back on as that user.

    XP-Pro

    If you have XP Pro, temporarily change the limited account to
    administrative. First, go to Windows Explorer, go to Tools, select Folder
    Options, go to the View tab and be sure "Use Simple File Sharing" is not
    selected. If it is, deselect it and click apply and ok.

    If you wish everything in a specific folder to be accessible to a user,
    right click the folder, select properties, go to the Security tab, click
    Advanced, go to the Owner tab,
    select the user you wish to have access, at the bottom of the box, you
    should see a check box for "Replace owner on subcontainers and objects,"
    place a check in the box and click apply and ok.

    The user should now be able to perform necessary functions on files in the
    folder even as a limited account. If not, make it an admin account again,
    right click the folder, select Properties, go to the Security tab and be
    sure the user is listed in the user list. If not, click add and type the
    user name in the appropriate box, be sure the user has all the necessary
    permissions checked in the permission list below the user list, click apply
    and ok.

    That should do it and allow whatever access you desire for that folder even
    in a limited account.

    --
    Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    Windows Shell/User

    "papajim#1" <papajim1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I am the administrator. Ihave windows media player version 9, with windows
    >xp
    > home operating system.Can I transfer my music files to other user accnts.
    > on
    > this same computer, who do not administrator accnts.? If so, how? OR do
    > they
    > have to build their own from scratch?
    > Thanks in advance.....Jim

    I tried what you said, however, when I rebooted and selected safe mode, the
    administrator icon and my icon both came up. The admin. icon (picture) had no
    window for typing a password, but when I select it anyway, the computer
    freezes up.
    Cheers

    "Michael Solomon (MS-MVP Windows Shell/Us" wrote:

> [...]
    > user name in the appropriate box, be sure the user has all the necessary
    > permissions checked in the permission list below the user list, click apply
    > and ok.
    >
    > That should do it and allow whatever access you desire for that folder even
    > in a limited account.
    >

    > --
    > Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    > Windows Shell/User
    > Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
    > DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
    >
    > "papajim#1" <papajim1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I am the administrator. Ihave windows media player version 9, with windows
    > >xp
    > > home operating system.Can I transfer my music files to other user accnts.
    > > on
    > > this same computer, who do not administrator accnts.? If so, how? OR do

    I don't know what could be causing that unless there are some things about
    your setup you have not described here such as various hardware or hardware
    issues you may be having or if your system is in a networked environment or
    on a Domain as opposed to a workgroup. I'm at a loss to know what might be
    causing this.

    --

> [...]
    >> apply
    >> and ok.
    >>
    >> That should do it and allow whatever access you desire for that folder
    >> even
    >> in a limited account.
    >>

    >> --
    >> Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    >> Windows Shell/User
    >> Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
    >> DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
    >>
    >> "papajim#1" <papajim1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> >I am the administrator. Ihave windows media player version 9, with
    >> >windows
    >> >xp
    >> > home operating system.Can I transfer my music files to other user
    >> > accnts.
    >> > on
    >> > this same computer, who do not administrator accnts.? If so, how? OR do

Microsoft Media Player Windows XP