Windows Media player(transfering files between user accnts.)

August 11, 2004 6:03:03 PM

I am the administrator. Ihave windows media player version 9, with windows xp
home operating system.Can I transfer my music files to other user accnts. on
this same computer, who do not administrator accnts.? If so, how? OR do they
have to build their own from scratch?
Thanks in advance.....Jim
Anonymous
August 11, 2004 7:13:16 PM

You can transfer them but they may need to take ownership to access them.
Note: this would apply to the files you have transferred to their user
account and ownership should be taken from their accounts as follows:

Note, file ownership and permissions supersede administrator rights. How
you resolve it depends upon which version of XP you are running.

XP-Home

Unfortunately, XP Home using NTFS is essentially hard wired for "Simple File
Sharing" at system level.

However, you can set XP Home permissions in Safe Mode. Reboot, and start
hitting F8, a menu should eventually appear and one of the
options is Safe Mode. Select it. Note, it will ask for the administrator's
password. This is not your administrator account, rather it is the
machine's administrator account for which users are asked to create a
password during setup.

If you created no such password, when requested, leave blank and press
enter.

Open Explorer, go to Tools and Folder Options, on the view tab, scroll to
the bottom of the list, if it shows "Enable Simple File Sharing" deselect it
and click apply and ok. If it shows nothing or won't let you make a change,
move on to the next step.

Navigate to the files, right click, select properties, go to the Security
tab, click advanced, go to the Owner tab and select the user that was logged
on when you were refused permission to access the files. Click apply and
ok. Close the properties box, reopen it, click add and type in the name of
the user you just enabled. If you wish to set ownership for everything in
the folder, at the bottom of the Owner tab is the following selection:
"Replace owner on subcontainers and objects," select it as well.

Once complete, you should be able to do what you wish with these files when
you log back on as that user.

XP-Pro

If you have XP Pro, temporarily change the limited account to
administrative. First, go to Windows Explorer, go to Tools, select Folder
Options, go to the View tab and be sure "Use Simple File Sharing" is not
selected. If it is, deselect it and click apply and ok.

If you wish everything in a specific folder to be accessible to a user,
right click the folder, select properties, go to the Security tab, click
Advanced, go to the Owner tab,
select the user you wish to have access, at the bottom of the box, you
should see a check box for "Replace owner on subcontainers and objects,"
place a check in the box and click apply and ok.

The user should now be able to perform necessary functions on files in the
folder even as a limited account. If not, make it an admin account again,
right click the folder, select Properties, go to the Security tab and be
sure the user is listed in the user list. If not, click add and type the
user name in the appropriate box, be sure the user has all the necessary
permissions checked in the permission list below the user list, click apply
and ok.

That should do it and allow whatever access you desire for that folder even
in a limited account.

--
Michael Solomon MS-MVP
Windows Shell/User

"papajim#1" <papajim1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am the administrator. Ihave windows media player version 9, with windows
>xp
> home operating system.Can I transfer my music files to other user accnts.
> on
> this same computer, who do not administrator accnts.? If so, how? OR do
> they
> have to build their own from scratch?
> Thanks in advance.....Jim
Anonymous
August 11, 2004 11:17:02 PM

I tried what you said, however, when I rebooted and selected safe mode, the
administrator icon and my icon both came up. The admin. icon (picture) had no
window for typing a password, but when I select it anyway, the computer
freezes up.
Cheers

"Michael Solomon (MS-MVP Windows Shell/Us" wrote:

> [...]
> user name in the appropriate box, be sure the user has all the necessary
> permissions checked in the permission list below the user list, click apply
> and ok.
>
> That should do it and allow whatever access you desire for that folder even
> in a limited account.
>

> --
> Michael Solomon MS-MVP
> Windows Shell/User
> Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
> DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
>
> "papajim#1" <papajim1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I am the administrator. Ihave windows media player version 9, with windows
> >xp
> > home operating system.Can I transfer my music files to other user accnts.
> > on
> > this same computer, who do not administrator accnts.? If so, how? OR do

Anonymous
August 12, 2004 4:16:18 PM

I don't know what could be causing that unless there are some things about
your setup you have not described here such as various hardware or hardware
issues you may be having or if your system is in a networked environment or
on a Domain as opposed to a workgroup. I'm at a loss to know what might be
causing this.

--

!