adding new cd-rw to system

I am adding a new cd-rw to my system but the bios
recognizes it but windows nt does't. any suggestions?
4 answers Last reply
More about adding system

    Hi Jerry,

    Can you see the CD-RW drive at all ? (ie: is it assigned a drive letter in My
    Computer?) Has this machine ever had a CD-ROM drive of any description
    previously installed ?

    CD-RW drives will be recognised as a reader only on NT4.0. Additional 3rd party
    software is require to be able to write to the drive. There are heaps of vendors
    out there doing this sort of stuff. The most popular are Goldenhawk, Roxio and Nero.

    Calvin.
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.misc (More info?)

    Thanks Calvin
    No I cannot see the drives on My
    computer.
    I do not have a operation drive available to add any software.
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.misc (More info?)

    Hi Jerry,

    How was NT put on this machine originally ? (A network install of some
    description I presume ?)

    Calvin.
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.misc (More info?)

    How is it attached? Is it one an IDE chain of it's own, sharing with
    another drive or SCSI? If IDE, is the primary/secondary jumper set
    correctly? Silly question, but is the IDE cable in upside down - I've seen
    it before!

    As the other poster says, IDE drives are just recognised as read-only
    drives. The software then adds the "oh, and write" features.

    Good luck,
    Paul DS.

Microsoft Windows NT CD-Rom Windows