adding new cd-rw to system

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
Share
July 8, 2004 9:12:13 PM

I am adding a new cd-rw to my system but the bios
recognizes it but windows nt does't. any suggestions?

More about : adding system

July 9, 2004 2:36:02 PM

Hi Jerry,

Can you see the CD-RW drive at all ? (ie: is it assigned a drive letter in My
Computer?) Has this machine ever had a CD-ROM drive of any description
previously installed ?

CD-RW drives will be recognised as a reader only on NT4.0. Additional 3rd party
software is require to be able to write to the drive. There are heaps of vendors
out there doing this sort of stuff. The most popular are Goldenhawk, Roxio and Nero.

Calvin.
July 9, 2004 2:36:03 PM

Thanks Calvin
No I cannot see the drives on My
computer.
I do not have a operation drive available to add any software.
Related resources
July 10, 2004 3:45:48 PM

Hi Jerry,

How was NT put on this machine originally ? (A network install of some
description I presume ?)

Calvin.
Anonymous
July 23, 2004 7:40:03 PM

How is it attached? Is it one an IDE chain of it's own, sharing with
another drive or SCSI? If IDE, is the primary/secondary jumper set
correctly? Silly question, but is the IDE cable in upside down - I've seen
it before!

As the other poster says, IDE drives are just recognised as read-only
drives. The software then adds the "oh, and write" features.

Good luck,
Paul DS.
!