Does WinXP work on WinNT domain

I have great difficulty getting access to files on an NT
domain machine running NT Server 4.0, with an XP machine.
I have created an account (in Users and Passwords) on the
WinXP machine using the same username and password that I
have configured to use to logon to the Windows NT machine
(in User Manager).

The setup is as follows: File server is Window NT Server
4.0, clients are a mixture of Windows 98, XP PRO and XP
HOME machines. Clients are connected to the server via a
hub. One XP HOME machine is used as a mail/internet
gateway (2 NIC's - one to the hub and one to the DSL
router). All machines have mail/internet access via the
gateway.

Problems:
1. Windows 98 machines sometimes drop the mail/internet
connection thus requiring a machine restart.
Windows XP machines never drop this connection.
2. Some XP machines cannot access network resources.
(Access Denied message). Windows 98 machines always
connect to the server and have the proper access rights.

Any ideas as to the cause of this?

Regards

Colin

Three issues to check. First is Name Resolution. Second is Protocols and
third is Security.

1. Name Resolution: XP & Win2K want a DNS server, not your ISPs, but one
setup for Your Network. While Win9x wants a WINS server. And NT is happy
with either/both. And all will use HOSTS.

I would install WINS on the NT server and point all the WSs at it. You might
think about DNS on the NT server as well. But you will have to manual enter
the info as NT 4 DNS is not Dynamic (which is what the XPs & Win2K need).
And/or create a HOSTS file and copy it to all your machines. Just do a
search of your hard drive for HOSTS and you will find a sample file with
instructions for it's us (open with notepad).

2. Protocols: By default XP & Win2K use TCP/IP, while Win9x use SPX &
NetBEUI and NT use TCP/IP & NetBEUI.

The answer is to be sure All your machines are using the same Protocols.
Remove SPX from all machines (unless you have a Novel Server). Install
TCP/IP & NetBEUI on All machines.

3. Security: Win9x basically has none which is why you have no problem with
those machines. For XP, Win2K & NT, they must be joined to the NT Domain and
have user accounts setup for the people. If your NT server is NOT a PDC then
you either have to setup local accounts on all the XP, Win2K and NT machines
that have the same UserName & Password or supply a UserName and Password
each time you access the resource.

--
Yor Suiris
Remove the kNOT to reply.