System swap to new case

Steve08533

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2005
Hi,
I am going to buy a new case for my new computer and I havent the first clue on how to transfer all of it. Im completley new to all of this. Some of you might suggest taking to a professional, and I might but I really want a good learning experience because I do want my career to be in the computer field, so, im sure this question has been asked a billion times but, do any of you guys know a step by step site or manual showing you how?

mpjesse

Splendid
I hope your computer now isn't a name brand. If it is, you're in for a nasty surprise when you try to put that motherboard in the new case. Name brand manufacturers typically do not use standardized motherboard form factors. They like to shape them all funny so you can't do what you're trying to do.

If it's a generic comptuer- you should be ok. These days, it's nearly impossible to plug the wrong thing into the wrong place. Almost everything has a unique male and female connector.

The only tricky thing can be IDE and floppy cable plugs. If you plug them in upside down, the system will either not boot at all or the drive won't be seen in the BIOS. But don't worry, plugging in IDE cables upside down/backwards won't damage anything. If that happens, simply reverse the plug.

Crashman- remember back in the AT days? Plug those AT motherboard connectors in backwards and your board is fried. Hehehehe...

-mpjesse

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
Ack! My step-daughter is almost that old... gah, I'm old. :cry: :cry:
:wink: :lol:

a 486 was the first mobo I actually got up the guts to solder a blown trace on... not pretty but it worked. :)

Mike.

mpjesse

Splendid
I used to break my 486 on purpose just so my parents would call the computer guy to come by the house and fix it. When he came, I would watch him do his thing. Within 6 months they didn't need the computer guy for crap. I could break stuff and fix it on my own. LOL.

Then about 2 years later (around the Pentium MMX days) while in high school I got hired on as a tech at a local computer store. I fixed and built PC's for this guy Harry. He taught me almost everything I know. He helped build the first PC on the space shuttle back in the 80's. (All this was in FL). He still has his store... here it is:

http://www.sanfordcomputer.com/home.html

-mpjesse