Help! Uninstall and reinstall windows XP

I would like to know step by step how to completely remove
my windows XP home edison and then reinstall it back on my
computer. If you can please help let me know thanks so
much to anyone out there.
2 answers Last reply
More about help uninstall reinstall windows

    In news:48d401c47ff1$a56cbfb0$a401280a@phx.gbl,
    Janeska <lottacalicakes@yahoo.com> typed:

    >I would like to know step by step how to completely remove
    > my windows XP home edison and then reinstall it back on my
    > computer. If you can please help let me know thanks so
    > much to anyone out there.

    Just boot from the Windows XP CD (change the BIOS boot order if
    necessary to accomplish this) and follow the prompts for a clean
    installation. It will do the reformat for you.

    You can find detailed instructions here:

    However why do you want to do this? In my view, it's almost
    always a mistake. With a modicum of care, it should never be
    necessary to reinstall Windows (XP or any other version). I've
    run Windows 3.0, 3.1, WFWG 3.11, Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows
    2000, and Windows XP, each for the period of time before the next
    version came out, and each on two machines here. I never
    reinstalled any of them, and I have never had anything more than
    an occasional minor problem.

    It's my belief that this mistaken notion stems from the technical
    support people at many of the larger OEMs. Their solution to
    almost any problem they don't quickly know the answer to is
    "reformat and reinstall." That's the perfect solution for them.
    It gets you off the phone quickly, it almost always works, and it
    doesn't require them to do any real troubleshooting (a skill that
    most of them obviously don't possess in any great degree).

    But it leaves you with all the work and all the problems. You
    have to restore all your data backups, you have to reinstall all
    your programs, you have to reinstall all the Windows and
    application updates,you have to locate and install all the needed
    drivers for your system, you have to recustomize Windows and all
    your apps to work the way you're comfortable with.

    Besides all those things being time-consuming and troublesome,
    you may have trouble with some of them: can you find all your
    application CDs? Can you find all the needed installation codes?
    Do you have data backups to restore? Do you even remember all the
    customizations and tweaks you may have installed to make
    everything work the way you like?

    Occasionally there are problems that are so difficult to solve
    that Windows should be reinstalled cleanly. But they are few and
    far between; reinstallation should not be a substitute for
    troubleshooting; it should be a last resort, to be done only
    after all other attempts at troubleshooting by a qualified person
    have failed.

    If you have problems, post them here, it's likely that someone
    can help you and a reinstallation won't be required.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    Use the following procedure for a "Clean Install" of Windows XP:

    The Windows XP CD is bootable and contains all the tools necessary
    to partition and format your drive. Follow this procedure and allow
    Windows XP to partition and format your drive:

    NOTE: It would be best to physically disconnect all your peripheral hardware
    devices, except the monitor, mouse and keyboard, before installing XP.

    NOTE: If you have an internal Zip Drive installed, physically disconnect the
    EIDE and power cable to it before proceeding, otherwise your main
    hard drive may not be assigned the customary C: drive letter.
    After installing Windows XP, you may then reconnect it.

    1. Open your BIOS and set your "CD Drive as the first bootable device".

    ===> Accessing Motherboard BIOS
    ===> http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/bios_manufacturer.htm

    2. Insert your Windows XP CD in the CD Drive and reboot your computer.
    3. You'll see a message to boot to the CD....follow the instructions.
    4. The setup menu will appear and you should elect to delete all the existing
    Windows partitions, then create a new partition, then format the primary
    partition (preferably NTFS) and proceed to install Windows XP.

    5. Clean Install Windows XP

    [Courtesy of Michael Stevens, MS-MVP]

    6. ==> Immediately after installing Windows XP, turn on XP's Firewall.
    ==> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/default.aspx

    7. After Windows XP is installed, visit the Windows Update website
    and download the available "Critical Updates".

    8. After installing the critical updates, be sure and visit the support website
    of the manufacturer of the computer to download and install any
    available Windows XP compatible drivers, such as video adapter
    and audio drivers.

    9. If you happen to run into any installation difficulties, use the following resources:

    How to Troubleshoot Windows XP Problems During Installation
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;310064

    Troubleshooting Windows XP Setup

    [Courtesy of MS-MVP Kelly Theriot]

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

    "Janeska" wrote:

    | I would like to know step by step how to completely remove
    | my windows XP home edison and then reinstall it back on my
    | computer. If you can please help let me know thanks so
    | much to anyone out there.

Microsoft Windows XP