printer

After I hit the print button a grey box pops up saying "sending pages
1, 2, 3, 4 and 5."

Next I see the printer icon appear down in the system tray. If I click
on this icon it tells me "the printer is printing pages 1of 5, 2 of 5,
3 of 5" and so on.

After the icon shows "page 5 of 5", the printer starts spitting out 5
printed sheets of paper.

The problem is the computer freezes only during the "sending" and the
"printer icon" phases. It unfreezes during the physical spraying of
the ink on the paper. The computer never crashes. It just won't
accept input from the mouse or keyboard.

Before the reinstalling of win98, the computer never did this and I am
using the same printer.
Virus scans negative.
Scandisk negative.
System files damage negative.
My brother tried altering the DOS, BIOS, Control Panel and printer
settings, and made every tweak he could find to no avail.

I need suggestions.
gina win98 and can't add more RAM
3 answers Last reply
More about printer

    "keexer" <gofofer@nice.com> wrote in message
    > After I hit the print button a grey box pops up saying "sending pages
    > 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5."
    >
    > Next I see the printer icon appear down in the system tray. If I click
    > on this icon it tells me "the printer is printing pages 1of 5, 2 of 5,
    > 3 of 5" and so on.
    >
    > After the icon shows "page 5 of 5", the printer starts spitting out 5
    > printed sheets of paper.
    >
    > The problem is the computer freezes only during the "sending" and the
    > "printer icon" phases. It unfreezes during the physical spraying of
    > the ink on the paper. The computer never crashes. It just won't
    > accept input from the mouse or keyboard.
    >
    > Before the reinstalling of win98, the computer never did this and I am
    > using the same printer.
    > Virus scans negative.
    > Scandisk negative.
    > System files damage negative.
    > My brother tried altering the DOS, BIOS, Control Panel and printer
    > settings, and made every tweak he could find to no avail.
    >
    > I need suggestions.
    > gina win98 and can't add more RAM

    Suggestion - Have you tried different spool settings - in mine it is under
    Control panel Printer - Properties - Details.

    There are several options including "Print directly to printer".
    May make a difference.

    "keexer" <gofofer@nice.com> wrote in message
    > After I hit the print button a grey box pops up saying "sending pages
    > 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5."
    [snip]
    > The problem is the computer freezes only during the "sending" and the
    > "printer icon" phases. It unfreezes during the physical spraying of
    > the ink on the paper. The computer never crashes. It just won't
    > accept input from the mouse or keyboard.

    What printer model do you have? How is it connected - parallel or USB? What
    driver version are you using?

    - Bob Headrick

    Thanks you two.
    Tried changing printer settings. Settings "start printing after 1st
    page" and file format "EMF" print faster.

    Am using a Brother inkjet-type printer. Downloaded latest printer
    drivers one month ago. Uses the USB port. But parallel connection
    was as slow. Is there some kind of setting that lets data flow into
    printer faster? Would printer port capture help?

Printers Computer Peripherals