Socket 939 mobo: any suggestions?

durandal

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2005
I need some advice on what motherboard to buy for a new computer I'll be building in the next few weeks.

I'm planning to buy:
Athlon 64 4000+
a single XFX GeForce 7800 GT
X-Fi XtremeMusic 8
not sure about ram yet
Maxtor DiamondMax 10 300gb

Also: I picked up a couple of seagate 200 gb PATA/100 drives the other day for 30 bucks apiece. I think they might work with whatever mobo I buy (but I'm not sure).

I don't think I'll have enough money to do SLI now or in the future (my overall budget is $2100 or $2200, and I'm getting all new peripherals and an LCD) so I expect to stick with a single graphics card. I don't plan to do any overclocking, and I'd mainly be gaming and listening to music. Also: as far as upgrading is concerned, I don't think I'll have the time or money to be continually on the lookout for new products etc. Ideally I'd like a mobo that is upgrade friendly but I'm not an obsessive upgrader.

If anyone has any suggestions for motherboards I'd greatly appreciate it. Also, I'm open to suggestions about my planned build in general (the only thing I've actually bought so far is an antec p180 on sale).

durandal

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2005
Thanks for the advice!

One question: if I had to get an Antec power supply instead of the one you recommended, which would you suggest? I only ask b/c there seem to have been some PSU compatability issues (specifically cable length) with the antec p180 case I bought, because the power supply is at the bottom instead of the top. Antec (of course) recommends using one of their PSUs because they have long enough cables.