Slow Performance in NT4 environment

squirrel

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2001

Hi,

I have a client who is using a NT4 server in his environment still.
When a W2K machine tries to map a drive on the NT4 server, the drive will takes about more than a minute for the system to display the files.

I must say that this drive is a dept files storage. It has more than 10,000 engineering files in it. Had try to ask the client to migrate the files to W2K platform. But due to some business reason, thus not able to do so.

How can I speed up the display in this mapped drive on a Win2K machine? Are there any settings or configurations to do on my w2k machine.
Hope to hear from you soon.

Thanks in advance.

Get something like Diskeeper and defrag the drive on the
server. Look at the network architecture and make sure
there's nothing "funny" like a hub plugged into
a "regular" port on another hub. They should have hubs
and servers plugged into a switch. In older firms,
somethings the network expands in weird ways.