Windows 7 chiming every 6 minutes

gymineer

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
I have a new HP Pavillion Desktop running Windows 7.

Every 6 or 7 minutes, it chimes.

I've gone through the windows audio files and I can't find the exact chime it is. I've also looked through the event viewer, and while I can't really figure out the event viewer, I don't see anything coming up in the same pattern (I've written down the exact minutes the chimes go off for the past hour or so).

Nothing flashes on screen, and no icons light up, so I have no idea what the problem could be. Malware bytes and AVG scans found nothing.

Any ideas?

w7pro

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2010
It might be your Aero theme responding to various actions. Try going to the personalize menu and select sounds and from that menu, choose "no sounds."

-- Ryan
Windows Outreach Team

gymineer

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
Yeah, a netgear wireless usb adapter

I'll unplug that and see if it continues.

If it continues, I 'll try shutting down the extra applications. By that do you mean just closing open programs on the task bar, or going into the task manager and closing down items one at a time ?

gymineer

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
I think it is the netgear. I just switched my theme and set the sounds to no sounds, and as soon as I plugged in the netgear usb cord it made that noise. I am really hoping it doesn't do it again in 6 minutes, but I am not optimistic.

gymineer

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
I found the problem, and it is a netgear issue. The program beeps when it connects to the internet, so apparently our internet or the connection is breaking every 6 minutes or so, which I don't notice, but the beep was annoying.

The beep comes from within netgear itself - so I had to open up the options and disable notifications. Thanks guys!