Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

New build need suggestions, thank you

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Product
Last response: in CPUs
Share
November 26, 2005 11:44:39 PM

My Specifications

CASE:
Thermaltake XASER, Armor Series VA8000BWS Black Aluminum/Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E1681...

CPU:
AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ 1GHz FSB 2 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket 939 Dual Core Processor - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E1681...

MEMORY:
OCZ 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Unbuffered DDR 400 (PC 3200) Dual Channel Platinum System Memory - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E1682...

HARDDRIVE:
Western Digital Raptor WD740GD 74GB 10,000 RPM Serial ATA150 Hard Drive - OEM X 2
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E1682...

VIDEOCARD:
eVGA Geforce 7800GT 256-P2-N516 Video Card - Retail X 2
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681...

MOTHERBOARD:
UNSURE, I NEED YOUR HELP ><

The purpose to build this computer is for gaming, i read all reviews on newegg about Amd 3800+, they said it's a very nice cpu can OCed up
to 2.8 GHz. So i guess i am buying it for sure, not sure about the motherboard >< really hard to choose, also the hdd memory part i just choose the best rating one, so plz help me out. thank you very much

More about : build suggestions

November 26, 2005 11:53:10 PM

well that system looks excellent.

Only suggestion i would make is look into your gfx card a bit more, you seem like you have plenty of money to burn on this RIG and i'd look at newegg and take a look at the BFG 7800GT,GTX... Every review i've read so far this is like the best card out. It was actually out of stock on newegg for awhile.

im actually buying a eVGA 6600GT for this system now to hold me over before the new main build.

I'd just take a look at the packages and the reviews.


Im sure that card is fine, im just giving you another look at things.

Good Luck.

Rob.
November 26, 2005 11:54:30 PM

sorry, forgot to mention Mobo.

Have a look at the Asus A8n or the Abit an8. I honestly prefer the asus, many disagree.

It's a bit pricey, the reviews are excellent on it and i love the dual Lan. Plus it just looks way cooler.
Related resources
November 27, 2005 12:00:01 AM

Quote:
sorry, forgot to mention Mobo.

Have a look at the Asus A8n or the Abit an8. I honestly prefer the asus, many disagree.

It's a bit pricey, the reviews are excellent on it and i love the dual Lan. Plus it just looks way cooler.


thank you very much for the info, i'll take a look at asus a8n and BFG 7800 now
November 27, 2005 12:37:23 AM

no problemo.


i think the asus a8n just looks so bad ass with that awesome black color and that cool looking chipset cooler.
November 27, 2005 1:20:55 AM

yep. asus a8n looks way more cooler

now
motherboard:
ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

vidoecard:
XFX PVT70GUDF7 Geforce 7800GT 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail

but... new problem about psu
not sure which is good for my build
1. Antec TRUEPOWERII TPII-550 ATX12V 550W Power Supply - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E1681...

2. OCZ ModStream OCZ45012U ATX/BTX/PCI Express/SATA 450W Power Supply - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E1681...

3. Sunbeam NUUO SUNNU550-US-BK ATX12V/ EPS12V 550W Power Supply - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E1681...

I like OCZ b/c it looks better, but i am not sure if it fits my case( full tower) from the reviews, they said the main cable for the mobo connector is too short, so i dont' know ><

any suggestions?
November 27, 2005 2:05:56 AM

OCZ makes good memory, i' wouldn't buy a PSU by them


Deff go with the Antec
November 27, 2005 2:06:49 AM

If you are planning on overclocking, i would swap the OCZ PC3200 with their PC4000 stuff.
more pricey of course, but alot more overclocking headroom!
And yes, the X2 3800+ should overclock nicely.
ive got mine up to 2400mhz on stock voltage, 2500mhz on 1.475v

1x raptor is nice, but 74gb is kinda small by todays standards...
i would also include a std 7200rpm drive of some greater 200gb+ capacity for storage/backup as well.

stock HSF is good for running at standard speeds, or get a TT big Typhoon for overclocking.
November 27, 2005 2:27:30 AM

Quote:
If you are planning on overclocking, i would swap the OCZ PC3200 with their PC4000 stuff.
more pricey of course, but alot more overclocking headroom!
And yes, the X2 3800+ should overclock nicely.
ive got mine up to 2400mhz on stock voltage, 2500mhz on 1.475v

1x raptor is nice, but 74gb is kinda small by todays standards...
i would also include a std 7200rpm drive of some greater 200gb+ capacity for storage/backup as well.

stock HSF is good for running at standard speeds, or get a TT big Typhoon for overclocking.


Does pc4000 works well with a8n sli deluex mother board?
from the newegg Detailed Specifications says
DDR Standard DDR 400 (PC 3200)
Does pc4000 works well with a8n sli deluex mother board?
a b à CPUs
November 27, 2005 3:28:23 AM

1. What is your budget?
2. What monitor will you be using?
3. When you game do you have any other applications running? If yes, then what?
4. What resolution do you use when gaming?
5. Are you going to OC or are you just thinking about it?

Answer the above questions and we can tailor our responses to fit your needs/budget. I'll go ahead and make some general comments...

GPU: I'm not a huge fan of SLi, unless money is not a factor AND you want to FPS game at high res with all the eye-candy on. The price/performance ratio just sucks. You just don't get a lot more performance for all of the money you spend. If I was going top end, then I would look at the 7800GTX 512MB RAM or the X1800XT. You'll spend less and get comparable performance in most areas. No SLi or Crossfire in my future...

CPU: Unless you are doing some serious multi-tasking while gaming, you will have a better gaming experience by going with a faster single-core CPU. You can get a 4000+ for about the same price as that X2 3800+ and I think the 4000+ would probably be a better fit for your build.

Mobo: Will depend on your above answers, but in the non-SLi realm I like the Epox 9NPA+ Ultra and Abit AN8 Ultra. A newcomer, but not yet on the streets is the Asus A8R MVP - it looks to be a price/performance beast.

Memory: Unless you plan to seriously OC, I think you would be just fine using this OCZ Value VX series 2x1GB.

HDD: Some of the newer 16MB cache hard drives have cut the performance edge of the Raptor hard drives, have more storage and are quieter. Take a hard look at other options. Maybe a Raptor for OS and games, then a 16MB cache HDD for "other" storage.

Case: Super-Flower SF-201T

PSU: The PSU was an afterthought, but a good PSU is the heart and soul of any PC - especially with modern, high-demand systems. This is one area, that I would not skimp. Of the PSUs that you listed, I would go with the Antec. I still like the Enermax 535W Whisper II model EG565P. They're priced the same and the Enermax has better efficiency. [/shrug] If I had the few extra dollars, then I would not hesitate to get the Seasonic S12-500. You would never regret this PSU purchase - extremely efficient and quiet.
November 27, 2005 3:29:17 AM

Quote:
OCZ makes good memory, i' wouldn't buy a PSU by them


Deff go with the Antec

They make awesome PSU's for a decent price. The only thing better than the OCZ PSU's are the PC Power& Cooling which are very expensive. The worlds top OC'ers use OCZ and PCP&C.
November 27, 2005 4:05:46 AM

Quote:
1. What is your budget?
2. What monitor will you be using?
3. When you game do you have any other applications running? If yes, then what?
4. What resolution do you use when gaming?
5. Are you going to OC or are you just thinking about it?

Answer the above questions and we can tailor our responses to fit your needs/budget. I'll go ahead and make some general comments...

GPU: I'm not a huge fan of SLi, unless money is not a factor AND you want to FPS game at high res with all the eye-candy on. The price/performance ratio just sucks. You just don't get a lot more performance for all of the money you spend. If I was going top end, then I would look at the 7800GTX 512MB RAM or the X1800XT. You'll spend less and get comparable performance in most areas. No SLi or Crossfire in my future...

CPU: Unless you are doing some serious multi-tasking while gaming, you will have a better gaming experience by going with a faster single-core CPU. You can get a 4000+ for about the same price as that X2 3800+ and I think the 4000+ would probably be a better fit for your build.

Mobo: Will depend on your above answers, but in the non-SLi realm I like the Epox 9NPA+ Ultra and Abit AN8 Ultra. A newcomer, but not yet on the streets is the Asus A8R MVP - it looks to be a price/performance beast.

Memory: Unless you plan to seriously OC, I think you would be just fine using this OCZ Value VX series 2x1GB.

HDD: Some of the newer 16MB cache hard drives have cut the performance edge of the Raptor hard drives, have more storage and are quieter. Take a hard look at other options. Maybe a Raptor for OS and games, then a 16MB cache HDD for "other" storage.

Case: Super-Flower SF-201T

PSU: The PSU was an afterthought, but a good PSU is the heart and soul of any PC - especially with modern, high-demand systems. This is one area, that I would not skimp. Of the PSUs that you listed, I would go with the Antec. I still like the Enermax 535W Whisper II model EG565P. They're priced the same and the Enermax has better efficiency. [/shrug] If I had the few extra dollars, then I would not hesitate to get the Seasonic S12-500. You would never regret this PSU purchase - extremely efficient and quiet.


thank you so much rugger
I just want to build a computer can run all games finely.
I dont' need the top performance.

ok follow the steps.
1. below 2000
2. not sure yet ><, was planning connect it to my 50' hdtv for gaming, but i'd like to hear what monitor u suggested.
3. i dont' have other big program runs when gaming, i dont' even use anti-virus software.
4. mostly on my 17' lcd just 1024x768, i am using a hp pavilion 753c with ati 9600 videocard. i can t play "fear" "nsf 9" etc. the computer just sux.
5. like you said.. i am thinking about to oc it, one of my friend said going to help me. so i guess yes, i want to learn how to oc.

I don't run multi-tasking much, but when i am downloading and try to watch movies my computer always lag. and from what i read. 3800+ is about 2.0 Ghz 4000+ is 2.4 Ghz. someone said 3800+ could oced to 2.4 Ghz easy. so i thought 3800+ is a good choice.
now i really dont' know.
so plz help me out :) 
i'd like to see if you got $2000 what build it would like, thanks
November 27, 2005 4:11:47 AM

Avoid the A8N-SLI deluxe. Spend the extra $20 on the A8N-SLI Premium, or if you have $60 extra, go for the A8N32-SLI Deluxe to give yourself a really strong overclocking board. DFI's are also strong overclocking boards, and having really nice feature filled BIOS's (saved BIOS states, integreted memtest, tonne of config options)
November 27, 2005 4:16:34 AM

Go for an Opteron 165, they have 1MB of cache and can OC better than the X2's. And get a better HSF to go with the Opter 165, like a SI-120 with a good 120mm fan.

And as for the mobo, go for the Asus A8n-SLI PREMIUM!!!, it cools alot better than the deluxe model.
AND if you want to spend even more money, go for the A8N32-SLI Deluxe.

-dragonx
a b à CPUs
November 27, 2005 4:23:44 AM

Slow down and think/reason thru this process. Answer my questions and we'll figure out what you need to buy to get a good gaming experience at a good price.
November 27, 2005 5:17:57 AM

Quote:
Avoid the A8N-SLI deluxe. Spend the extra $20 on the A8N-SLI Premium, or if you have $60 extra, go for the A8N32-SLI Deluxe to give yourself a really strong overclocking board. DFI's are also strong overclocking boards, and having really nice feature filled BIOS's (saved BIOS states, integreted memtest, tonne of config options)


it's out of stock now ><, but i see lots ppl suggested a8n32-sli deluxe. thanks

Quote:
Go for an Opteron 165, they have 1MB of cache and can OC better than the X2's. And get a better HSF to go with the Opter 165, like a SI-120 with a good 120mm fan.

And as for the mobo, go for the Asus A8n-SLI PREMIUM!!!, it cools alot better than the deluxe model.
AND if you want to spend even more money, go for the A8N32-SLI Deluxe.

-dragonx

i am taking look at opteron now, thank you

Quote:
Slow down and think/reason thru this process. Answer my questions and we'll figure out what you need to buy to get a good gaming experience at a good price.


i did answer the questions on [msg 12]
thanks again ^ ^
o i forgot to add something.
is it a good time to build a new computer now?
or i can get a better one sooner with the same price.
November 27, 2005 6:26:51 AM

Out of Every Magazine i've read and Hardware review Sites. I have never HEARD of any reviews for an OCZ powersupply or anyone getting crazy over one.

If you have any reviews from a hardware review site i'd like to see it.

I mean i've seen them on Newegg before but nothing that Stood out.

50 reviews is like the most. For me personally that's not good enough.

But they do look nice with the Less Cable thing.
November 27, 2005 7:49:24 AM

If you are new to OCing, I would seriously recommend an Abit board. They have been building OCers boards for a long time. They now have an added chip and utility called u-guru. It allows you to do all your OCing in the windows environment. You can even adjust your ram and chip voltages there. Great performance, solid parts, and ease of OC.
November 27, 2005 2:44:32 PM

just google powerstream review, youll get plenty of reviews.
November 27, 2005 2:59:39 PM

OCZ Powerstream PSUs are rock stable, stated by many reviews.
I have the 520watt myself and all rails are perfect and stable.
the a8n32-sli deluxe is a killer board, one of the best available for s939, but for a high price.
November 27, 2005 3:07:44 PM

You want a rock solid power supply? Go for a Seasonic, the top of the line 600watt one. $159, and provides dual 12v rails.

ROCK SOLID.

-dragonx
November 27, 2005 3:40:41 PM

True words spoken but you can also have 550 to 600 watts of solid stable power for $100 instead of $160, dawg!

OCZ does spec out a good PSU, btw OCZ and Tagan are both manufactured by TopPower. I mean they are not rebadged, a copmpletely new line speced out from OCZ. Good shiat, they are...

Also I thnk Antec TruePower/TrueControl is good bang fro da buck![/b]
November 27, 2005 4:12:23 PM

These are my suggestions with 2k. Prices are NE (UON)

MB ABIT A8n-Ultra (Non-SLI) $110

CPU Opteron 165 (Monarch Computer) $353

Ram OCZ Value Ram "Rugger" Suggested $205

Video Card 7800 gtx 512mb (PC Connection) $760

PSU SeaSonic S12-500 129-15MIR=$114

HDDs (1) 74gb Raptor 161-40mir & (1) WD SE16 400 GB 200-20MIR = $301

Case Super Flower "Rugger" Suggested $73

Total cost (W/O shipping) $1916


If UR going to use the 50' (?) HDTV go with a 7800gt or less. (Still overkill).

My $.02.
November 27, 2005 6:07:51 PM

yea i like that Less Cable thing OCZ provides on the modular modles.

it's only a 450w tho... Any other PSU's out there use the same feature. I've seen a few like the fortron i think had that but i wasn't sure on the reviews.
November 27, 2005 6:14:17 PM

For $200 US you can get the Corsair TCCD 2x512mb TwinX XL running 2-2-2-5 up to 215+, 2-3-3-7 up to 230 and up to 275 at 2.5-4-4-7
These are the Samsung TCCD's as the same chips rated at 500MHZ at CAS 2.5
November 27, 2005 10:59:05 PM

Quote:
For $200 US you can get the Corsair TCCD 2x512mb TwinX XL running 2-2-2-5 up to 215+, 2-3-3-7 up to 230 and up to 275 at 2.5-4-4-7
These are the Samsung TCCD's as the same chips rated at 500MHZ at CAS 2.5


ok i have question about AMD OPTERON 165
the core speed is only 1.8 Ghz and it's single core
how can it be better than 3800+ ?
November 27, 2005 11:07:06 PM

IMO, it is not. It entails a more expensive mobo, can easily run $400 or more for a dual opteron board, then you have to use only higher costing ECC RAM, which is better for reliability at the sacrifice of speed, but you do get pro quality components with the shebang, just it is not my cup of tea.

Give me the dual core 939 socket X2-4400 on my soon to be purchased Asus A8N-MVP and I will be mighty satisfied with the results.
November 28, 2005 12:13:27 AM

Quote:
For $200 US you can get the Corsair TCCD 2x512mb TwinX XL running 2-2-2-5 up to 215+, 2-3-3-7 up to 230 and up to 275 at 2.5-4-4-7
These are the Samsung TCCD's as the same chips rated at 500MHZ at CAS 2.5


ok i have question about AMD OPTERON 165
the core speed is only 1.8 Ghz and it's single core
how can it be better than 3800+ ?

OMG, you people are stupid! The Opteron 165 is a sck 939 dual core chip. It OC's better than the 3800+ and has 1MB!!! of L2 cache. I like the 1MB of L2 cache opposed to the 512KB of L2 cache on the 3800+.

If you get an Opteron 165+good mobo (A8N32-SLI Deluxe)+SI-120 HS+120mm fan+RAM (OCZ), I garentee it will OC better than a 3800+.

and for the RAM, get the new OCZ 1GB sticks that do 3-3-2-8 at DDR500, they are new fast 1GB sticks, better than older ones.
You would want to get 2 of them to go dual channel and have 2GB of RAM.

-dragonx
November 28, 2005 12:18:12 AM

I still like my Corsair TwinX XL which can do 275+mhz at 2.5-4-4-7 :wink:
November 28, 2005 12:22:02 AM

Quote:
I still like my Corsair TwinX XL which can do 275+mhz at 2.5-4-4-7 :wink:


OK, you can like your Corsair memory, hey, its good memory.

But for someone building a system, 2GB of memory is the way to go. And you can't run 4x512 at 1T command rate. For that you would need 2x1GB, and the new OCZ memory has "almost" the same timings as the 2x512 one, but is a GB stick, so just get 2 of them and you have a nice dual channel setup.

1T vs 2T has more of an impact than 2-2-2-5vs2-3-2-6 at DDR400, in fact, I don't think 2-2-2-5vs2-3-2-6 would really offer much of a performance gain.

-dragonx
November 28, 2005 12:23:20 AM

apparenty you can run 4 sticks at 1T with the Asus A8N-MVP board! :wink: :lol:  :wink:
November 28, 2005 12:29:26 AM

Can I have a link to that board, i'm sure its probably not top of the line, so it's not worth getting JUST to have 1T, 2x1GB is better anyway.

-dragonx
November 28, 2005 12:42:39 AM

OH, it's an ATI crossfire mobo, no wonder.
I still don't care, the Nforce 4 mobo's are the way to go, Nvidia is in the lead on everything right now.

The A8N32-SLI Deluxe from Asus is the best Nforce 4 mobo out right now. It pretty much OC's better than anything else thanks to it's 8 phase power thingy.

-dragonx
November 28, 2005 12:45:33 AM

You didn't read it right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It still can't do 4x512 at 1T, they had to drop to 2T.

-dragonx
November 28, 2005 12:46:45 AM

Quote:
Anandtech
The A8R-MVP is a monster of an overclocker - a mainstream board that proves that you don't have to spend a fortune to get incredible flexibility in pushing your system performance to new levels. This is the kind of board that serious overclockers love - a value-priced board that can be coupled to a value-priced AMD Socket 939 Opteron, for example, to get beyond top-of-the-line performance.


It ran at 315mhz ousting out the top nForce boards iincluding the DFI LanParty SLI-DR at 318mhz!
November 28, 2005 12:49:45 AM

I never said it wasn't a good OCer, YOU said it could run 4 dimms at 1T, I said you were wrong, nowere in any of my posts did I say it was a bad OCer, I said the A8N32 was a good OCer, but I never said the crossfire one wasn't

-dragonx
November 28, 2005 12:52:23 AM

I have an Idea, why don't you IM me or something so that we can argue it "REAL TIME".

-dragonx
November 28, 2005 12:52:57 AM

Quote:
AnandTech
It is very important that users change the default 2T Command Rate to 1T for best performance. Asus ships the A8R-MVP with 2T enabled to satisfy some memory manufacturers. The board has no trouble running 1T with quality memory, but you have to set the 1T Command Rate manually. All overclocking was performed with the Command Rate at 1T and the Command Rate was verified in AMD Tweaker.


To each his own, I just have an attraction to this type of board... and hope it doesn't disapoint!
November 28, 2005 12:55:13 AM

Quote:
Anandtech
Running four double-sided 512MB or 1GB DIMMs is much more demanding than running two DS DIMMs, and Asus did not have any extra magic here. Like every board that we have tested except the DFI RDX200, we needed to drop the Command Rate to 2T with 4 DS DIMMs. With 4 DIMMs, the A8R-MVP remained stable with the same aggressive 2-2-2-7 timings used for two DS DIMMs.


READ and weep!!! 4 dimms requires 2T. I knew i was right.

-dragonx
November 28, 2005 1:02:32 AM

:cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry: 
So vewy vewy sad indeed.
So, either I am satified at 2t or with only 1 gig RAM...
What therotical performance will I not achieve at 2-2-2-7-1T verses 2-2-2-7-2T if board did support 1T and 4 chips?
November 28, 2005 1:09:37 AM

A little relief that it is less than a 4% performance hit.
**wipes eyes** :p 
a b à CPUs
November 28, 2005 1:12:14 AM

Quote:
OMG, you people are stupid!

In response to that I will quote you:
Quote:
It pretty much OC's better than anything else thanks to it's 8 phase power thingy.

:/ 

Quote:
If you get an Opteron 165+good mobo (A8N32-SLI Deluxe)+SI-120 HS+120mm fan+RAM (OCZ), I garentee it will OC better than a 3800+.

And what will this cost? Tell you what - give me the 3800+ and him the Opteron and we'll see who gets the better OC. You haven't accounted for the experience level of the person requesting advice and you're recommending he lay down a lot more money than necessary. In my book, that's a few points short of 90 on the Stanford-Binet scale.
November 28, 2005 1:18:49 AM

Quote:
OMG, you people are stupid!

In response to that I will quote you:
Quote:
It pretty much OC's better than anything else thanks to it's 8 phase power thingy.

:/ 

Quote:
If you get an Opteron 165+good mobo (A8N32-SLI Deluxe)+SI-120 HS+120mm fan+RAM (OCZ), I garentee it will OC better than a 3800+.

And what will this cost? Tell you what - give me the 3800+ and him the Opteron and we'll see who gets the better OC. You haven't accounted for the experience level of the person requesting advice and you're recommending he lay down a lot more money than necessary. In my book, that's a few points short of 90 on the Stanford-Binet scale.

We here at teh forms can give him advice on how to get the best OC right? Thats what were all here for right?

And for the 8 phase power thingy, I just couldn't remeber off the top of my head, Anandtech did a pretty good job of reviewing it, check them out for the FULL name.

I was just pointing out the obvious advantages of a 165vs3800+, the 1MB of L2 cache, better OCing.
Its entirely up to the person building the thing wether he/she/it wants to OC it or not, or which direction to take.

-dragonx
November 28, 2005 1:24:10 AM

Personally, I would choose the X2-4400 with 2x1meg cache!
That thing would eat that Opteron 165 for lunch, overclocked or not and on that A8R-MVP at 2T to boot! :lol:  :lol:  :p  :lol:  :lol: 
a b à CPUs
November 28, 2005 1:53:30 AM

Quote:
We here at teh forms can give him advice on how to get the best OC right? Thats what were all here for right?

We're here to help, but that doesn't always mean we have to tell them the parts that will give the ultimate OC. :smile: Most people are just looking for the best bang/buck and won't OC. If Miao does, then I doubt he'll have an aggressive OC on 24/7, therefore parts that will provide an easy, stable 10-20% OC will be good for him. :wink:

Quote:
I was just pointing out the obvious advantages of a 165vs3800+, the 1MB of L2 cache, better OCing. Its entirely up to the person building the thing wether he/she/it wants to OC it or not, or which direction to take.

I agree! :smile:
November 28, 2005 2:07:43 AM

Quote:
Personally, I would choose the X2-4400 with 2x1meg cache!
That thing would eat that Opteron 165 for lunch, overclocked or not and on that A8R-MVP at 2T to boot! :lol:  :lol:  :p  :lol:  :lol: 


I hate ATI, your are intittled to your own opinion and if you think an ATI mobo is best, than go ahead.

I like Nvidia and AMD, simply because they have managed to play there cards right, up to now...

I HATE Intel. nuff said, and ATI, i'm indifferent, I have an ATI card, but my next will be nvidia.

-dragonx

EDIT:
And I can just see my (to be built) Opteron 175@2.7GHZ, A8N32-SLI Deluxe, 2GB of OCZ RAM at 3-3-2-7 at DDR540, Nvidia 7800GTX 512 edition... Running circles around your 4400+
a b à CPUs
November 28, 2005 2:20:48 AM

If I had $2000....

1. Enermax 535W Whisper II model EG565P $89
2. Super-Flower SF-201T for $73
3. Abit AN8 Ultra for $110. Endyen is right - UGuru is a great OC tool for beginners and I'll recommend this one for you. I'd probably end up with the new Asus A8R MVP.
4. OCZ Value VX series 2x1GB for $205
5. A64 4000+ for $334
6. WD Caviar SE16, 250GB for $115
7. eVGA 256-P2-N516 Geforce 7800GT for $319. Pay attention to core/memory clock speeds...
8. Viewsonic VX930b for $410.
9. NEC 3550a. for $43
10.
Windows XP Pro for $155.

Total: $1853 +S/H. Spend the rest on a good set of speakers or headphones. Spend less by going with the Viewsonic VX924, using current OS and going down to a 3700+. Those three things alone will save you $355.
November 28, 2005 2:25:15 AM

Hate issues with manufacturer aside.
**Slides issues off table**

OK, now your talking. So what makes the Opteron 175 a better overclocker than the X2-4400?

They are both dual core, they both have 2x1meg cache, they both are socket 939, and they are both priced within $20 of each other, the Opteron being cheaper.

Does the Opteron 175 really have much more overclocking ability verses the X2?

What are the major physical (Hell or psychological for that matter) differences between these two chips that makes the Opteron better?
      • 1 / 2
      • 2
      • Newest
!