Not valid SSID name during setup using the wizard

Hi,

I'm trying to setup a home wireless network and have been trying using the
windows wireless setup wizard without success. The following error window
pops up after clicking "next" after keying in the SSID name for the network:

"The networkname (SSID) contains one or more characters that are not valid.
Please type a different network name."

Has anyone encountered this problem before? Hope someone out there can help.

Thanks,
HMVacana
4 answers Last reply
More about valid ssid setup wizard

    "HMVacana" wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm trying to setup a home wireless network and have been trying using the
    > windows wireless setup wizard without success. The following error window
    > pops up after clicking "next" after keying in the SSID name for the network:
    >
    > "The networkname (SSID) contains one or more characters that are not valid.
    > Please type a different network name."
    >
    > Has anyone encountered this problem before? Hope someone out there can help.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > HMVacana

    What is the SSID you've typed?
    --PA

    On Wed, 17 Aug 2005 11:11:04 -0700, HMVacana wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm trying to setup a home wireless network and have been trying using the
    > windows wireless setup wizard without success. The following error window
    > pops up after clicking "next" after keying in the SSID name for the network:
    >
    > "The networkname (SSID) contains one or more characters that are not valid.
    > Please type a different network name."
    >
    > Has anyone encountered this problem before? Hope someone out there can help.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > HMVacana

    Can't say that I have. But I have only used the standard ASCII alphanumeric
    character set to create an SSID name. No fancy stuff like umlauts, tildes,
    circumflexes, or macrons.

    --
    Norman
    ~Fin dein a loluca, En dragu a sei lain

    Basically your name contains something other than A to Z and 0 to 9, remove
    this character and it will complete.

    David {MVP}
    Microsoft Mobile Devices

    "HMVacana" <HMVacana@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm trying to setup a home wireless network and have been trying using the
    > windows wireless setup wizard without success. The following error window
    > pops up after clicking "next" after keying in the SSID name for the
    > network:
    >
    > "The networkname (SSID) contains one or more characters that are not
    > valid.
    > Please type a different network name."
    >
    > Has anyone encountered this problem before? Hope someone out there can
    > help.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > HMVacana

    I'm in the same situation. My work laptop, used wirelessly, is SSID
    "Wireless@Home" but it will not accept '@'. Does not connect if I skip the
    '@'.
    --
    -Justin

    "N. Miller" wrote:

    > On Wed, 17 Aug 2005 11:11:04 -0700, HMVacana wrote:
    >
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > I'm trying to setup a home wireless network and have been trying using the
    > > windows wireless setup wizard without success. The following error window
    > > pops up after clicking "next" after keying in the SSID name for the network:
    > >
    > > "The networkname (SSID) contains one or more characters that are not valid.
    > > Please type a different network name."
    > >
    > > Has anyone encountered this problem before? Hope someone out there can help.
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > > HMVacana
    >
    > Can't say that I have. But I have only used the standard ASCII alphanumeric
    > character set to create an SSID name. No fancy stuff like umlauts, tildes,
    > circumflexes, or macrons.
    >
    > --
    > Norman
    > ~Win dain a lotica, En vai tu ri, Si lo ta
    > ~Fin dein a loluca, En dragu a sei lain
    > ~Vi fa-ru les shutai am, En riga-lint

Wireless Wireless Network Networking SSID Microsoft Wireless Networking