turbz

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2005
Hi, I'm new to these forums but have been reading THG for several years. I want to buy a new motherboard which supports 8x agp because I bought a BFG 6800 gt oc card beggining of Sept. I've been researching AMD64 cpu's and think I want to buy the 3500+ w/ Venice core E6. I'm not sure which motherboard to go with though, they're are not so many being made now that offer socket 939 and support agp. I want to overclock this computer, and replace most things other then case, drives, and powersupply unless I need to. Thanx,

Torben

godlyatheist

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2005
it's a no brainer:

ASROCK 939DUAL SATA2

It supports both AGP and PCIe with no performance loss on either one. It is socket 939.

It OC's like a banana if you get the modded BIOS from OCW, search the mobo on techpowerup.

It is a division of Asus so it is good quality. It is $69 so it is cheap. It is just too good for it's price

it is a must buy.

Is it good enough of an answer to your question?

endyen

Splendid
Personnaly, I would get the Abit AV8 3rd eye. It is a better quality board, and comes with a chip and utility called u-guru, which allows OCing in windows. Mine has a 3200, with a 25% OC as default.

pickxx

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2004
Personnaly, I would get the Abit AV8 3rd eye. It is a better quality board, and comes with a chip and utility called u-guru, which allows OCing in windows. Mine has a 3200, with a 25% OC as default.

I agree....great board. u-guru=good, VERY VERY good

I HATE THAT ASROCK BOARD! I dont know why, i just loathe it.

ALso godly....if a person is asking this stype of question dont send them to a random ass webstie for a BIOS not made by the brand that makes the board, and all that. figure out your audeince and advise for them. If he wants to OC u-guru is WAY better then some random BIOS and all that.

turbz

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2005
k, thx for all the help. i don't know if i'm going to upgrade now though, just found out i'm going to australia for 2-6 months later this spring, don't think i have the money now. and my amd xp2600+ is finally clocking at the rated speed, doh!