Help for graphics update...AGP

ultraman982

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2005
Ok...so heres my rig:

AMD XP 2700
6600GT (AGP)
1 gig Ram

I need this desktop to last me another couple of years in terms of video games...I know I should upgrade to PCI-e with a 64 bit CPU but right now that isnt an option, so i need to make due with what i have...

I was thinking i should swap out the 6600GT for an x800xt or xl, but im worried that my CPU may bottle-neck the performance of the x800....any advice here?

My budget is basically around $250-300 any ideas on what would be the top AGP video card that wouldnt be wasted by my slow CPU?

Thanks in advance!

Rob423

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
i mean the performance will be a slight increase...

for example 6600gt was getting around i think 74/75 FPS on HL2 and the x800XT was getting like 79..

to blow another 250-300 on that much of an increase is a waste.

get an oc' utility for your gfx card and pump it up a tad.

Rob423

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS harry potter is finito! i love bit torrentz!

Gotta watch this.

lol Rich HOW THE F*** do you get over 10,000! posts lol. Do you check the forums all day long every day lol i can't even believe ihave close to 3K already lol.

You sick Maniac!

dhlucke

Polypheme
lol Rich HOW THE F*** do you get over 10,000! posts lol. Do you check the forums all day long every day lol i can't even believe ihave close to 3K already lol.

You sick Maniac!

There's definitely something wrong with Rich. His posting is out of control. :wink:

dhlucke

Polypheme
Your rig is actually pretty good considering. I'm not sure what resolution you're playing games at but if you're around 1024x768 then I wouldn't bother upgrading just yet.

Wait until a game you really like is released and is making your rig struggle. Then check the reviews and figure out whether it's CPU dependent, GPU dependent, or both and make the appropriate upgrades.