best way

BokuSame

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2005
what would be the best, easiest and/or cheapest way to upgrade my system? i have now: pentium 4 3.2 chip, 9800 pro 256 card, 1 gb ram and a intel mb (sorry, i can't remember the #, but it's aroind 3 yrs old.).

BokuSame

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2005
In what ways is the performance of your current system not sufficient? What's your budget?

i'm laggin' badly when i'm playing css. i have around $250... also, thx for takin the time to help Rugger.

BokuSame

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2005
That's easy: video card.

You should be able to score a 6800 GS just over $200.

Other than that, the X800 GTO's are cheaper and really good as well.

OK!! so, this new card will work fine with the system i have now?? thx, Cleeve.

pauldh

Illustrious
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814102492

If you are in the USA, this is about the best current High-end AGP deal I've seen. A little over budget at $270 after $20 rebate, but it will stomp the other cards mentioned for just a little more money, plus ad's a TV tuner and Video Inputs. Down side is this is a 1 day sale, so it will be back over $300 soon.

Anyway, yes the GTO will work on your system too, just make sure you buy an AGP card not a PCI-e card. Your only other concern would be your power supply, 350W or higher name brand would be best. But seeing your current card, I'd think as long as you are stable now you would be fine.

Anyway, I'd agree with the others that a new video card would help you the most, although the 9800 pro's are still decent 1024x768 cards.

BokuSame

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2005
thx a lot for the info, Pauldh. i do have one more question for you... "ALL-IN-WONDER X800 XT requires connection to your PC’s internal power supply for operation." does this mean i have to connect it directly to my power supply?

Yes, you will have to run power directly to the video card. If your PSU doesn't have the proper cabling, then your vid card may include the adapter or you can buy one for less than $10.

pauldh

Illustrious
Your 9800 pro would use an additional power cable just the same. It's either a hard drive style molex connector or a smaller floppy connectoor off the power supply. But the cards come with an adaptor in case your power supply doesn't have any free.

BokuSame

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2005
Thx, Guys. I really appreciate you taking the time to help me out. The first round is on me( after that and buying the card, it'll be just water for 'bout a month...). Thx again.