Filename length problems

I am having problems copying files from a DVD on a
workstation computer to the server. Windows NT 4.0 gives
me an error saying that it cannot copy the files because
the filenames are too long. Is 256 chracters the maximum?
I cannot change these filenames due to company policy. Is
there anyway around this issue? Can you trunicate
filenames like this? I think the problem is that the names
are given to the file based on its original network
location (files are named abc/def/ghi.../ksjkhk.doc).

Ok,
I fixed part of the problem. It was adding the patch of
the file to the filename. I mapped directly to the server
folder I want to copy to. It worked for most files, but
then I got an error saying that one of the files is in
use. All the files are on a dvd disk and none of them are
opened. I'm going to try restarting the computer.

I'm still getting "cannot copy, file in use" error for
some of the files. Like I said, the files are on a DVD and
they are not opend on my PC. I restarted the computer and
get the same error. Any ideas? Thanks.
Travis