Gaming PC advice (first time build)

durandal

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2005
After posting on this site a few times and doing a lot of research I've put together a possible list of parts for a new computer I'm building. This will be my first time building, but I don't rush things and I've read a few different guides etc. on how to build, so I think I'll be ok.

Here's my parts list so far. I haven't purchased any of these parts yet otehr than the case. I'd welcome any advice, etc:

Case: Antec P180
Got this on sale for $100. Looks-wise, it's to my taste, and from what I've read it is solid, quiet, and cool.

Mobo: Asus A8N-SLI Premium
This is on sale at zipzoomfly for $170, so I think it'd make sense over the deluxe for $160 (correct me if I'm wrong). I picked this mobo b/c I decided to go for SLI.

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 4000 (san diego)
I picked this b/c it's within my price range and it is currently faster for gaming than the X2 3800, a comparable dual core CPU.

Graphics Card(s): Two XFX Geforce 7800 GTs in SLI
Picked these b/c they seem to have better performance (in SLI) than a single 7800GTX. I can't afford two GTX's but I can just squeak by, budgetwise, with 2 GTs.

RAM: OCZ 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Unbuffered DDR 400 (PC 3200) Dual Channel Platinum System Memory
Someone recommended these to me b/c of low CAS etc. I'm open to other suggestions but these fit my budget and they appear to work well.

PSU: Antec TP II: 550
My Antec case supposedly requires an Antec PSU and someone on the forums advised me to get this one.

HDD: Raptor 74GB
This is on sale for 120 at newegg after rebates. I'm concerned about it being OEM (will I have trouble with my build b/c drivers aren't provided? also, what sort of cord will I need?) I also have a seagate 200GB PATA drive that I got for 30 bucks and I intend to use that for backup storage. I have a lot of music to store but I don't generally save video.

Sound Card: X-FI platinum
I need the audio input jacks on this version's front I/O drive for recording my LP's.

Optical Drive: Sony DRU800A 16X DVD Burner
This seems like a decent drive and it's on sale at ZZF.

Monitor: Viewsonic VX924

Keyboard: Saitek Eclipse

Mouse: Logitech MX518
On sale at newegg.

Headphones: Grado SR-80s

-----------------------------------------
I'd really appreciate some feedback if anyone has the time and an opinion. This setup basically maxes out my 2300-2400 dollar spending limit, but I'd like to hear if anyone has any suggestions for swapping within that price range.

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
Looks like a nice system to me.

Good idea on the mobo - besides, if you ever decide to OC, the premium OCs better.

Just a thought - get 1 7800gtx now, and in a year, get another. Or, more likely, in a year you'll get the 8800zyxwvuts because it'll be faster than 2 7800gtx's (This happenned with the 6800/7800s so I expect it to happen with the next generation as well).

Hard drives don't need drivers - OEM pretty much just means you don't get a pretty shrink-wrapped box and a disk with software. Since we throw away the box, and the software is downloadable, no problem. Oh yeah, cables - Asus generally includes plenty of cables with their mobos.

Mike.

durandal

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2005
Thanks for the advice!

I have to buy now or never (this is a graduation present) so I think I'll stick with the SLI 7800gts b/c they're the best I can do at that price.

Thanks for the explanation of what OEM stuff is like. Appreciate it.

Somban

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2004
Looks like a good rig indeed. A bit out of my pricerange, but all and all I don't see any bad decisions there. There is a pretty good deal on the 7800 GT on zipzoomfly right now. 269 after $30 rebate. I think you'll find that to be the cheapest around.

Somban

durandal

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2005
I know, I saw that. They're backordered though, and the sale ends today. :cry: I sent in my order to new egg yesterday so I'll be getting them for an extra 20 dollars or so instead.