for you, see the Overview section of this page.

Date: 4/9/2003 Popularity: #166 English download

.....which, mind you, doesn't work on XP!

So where's the file to download?

--

Julian Milano

(To reply, remove NOSPAM from the email address)

begin 666 1ptrans.gif
L1TE&.#EA`0`!`( ``/\SS ```"'Y! $`````+ `````!``$`0 ("A%$`.P``
`
end
8 answers Last reply
More about make patching hard
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.misc,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    What does Windows Update say when you run it. You did, didn't you? If you
    need it, WU will give it to you.

    --
    Regards:

    Richard Urban

    aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

    "Julian Milano" <jdmils_NOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > My XP system told me it needed the patch for 816093. So, being the network
    > admin, I got onto the Windows Catalog site
    > (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/search.aspx?displaylang=en&categoryid=7)
    > and searched for "816093" so I could download it and install it on our
    > various networked XP machines.
    >
    > The only results I got was:
    >
    > 1.
    > Windows 2000 Security Patch: Security Update for Microsoft Virtual
    > Machine (Microsoft VM)
    >
    > This update addresses the vulnerability addressed in Knowledge Base
    > Article 816093. To find out if more recent security updates are available
    > for you, see the Overview section of this page.
    >
    > Date: 4/9/2003 Popularity: #166 English download
    >

    > ....which, mind you, doesn't work on XP!
    >
    > So where's the file to download?
    >

    > --
    >
    > Julian Milano
    > |
    > (To reply, remove NOSPAM from the email address)

  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.misc,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Look into SUS?

    Julian Milano wrote:
    > My XP system told me it needed the patch for 816093. So, being the
    > network admin, I got onto the Windows Catalog site

    (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/search.aspx?displaylang=en&categoryid=7)
    > and searched for "816093" so I could download it and install it on our
    > various networked XP machines.
    >
    > The only results I got was:
    >
    > 1.
    > Windows 2000 Security Patch: Security Update for Microsoft
    > Virtual Machine (Microsoft VM)
    >
    > This update addresses the vulnerability addressed in
    > Knowledge Base Article 816093. To find out if more recent security
    > updates are available for you, see the Overview section of this page.
    >
    > Date: 4/9/2003 Popularity: #166 English download
    >

    > ....which, mind you, doesn't work on XP!
    >
    > So where's the file to download?
    >

    > Julian Milano
    >>
    > (To reply, remove NOSPAM from the email address)
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.misc,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/catalog/
    Wrong Catalog site for starters? Search under win98se and
    it will be found. For XP you may have to install an earlier
    stand alone Java package and then update it to build 3810
    with the 816093 package as per this page.
    http://www.mvps.org/inetexplorer/answers_9.htm

    "Julian Milano" <jdmils_NOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<Oph7XqqcEHA.1656@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>...
    > My XP system told me it needed the patch for 816093. So, being the network
    > admin, I got onto the Windows Catalog site
    > (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/search.aspx?displaylang=en&categoryid=7)
    > and searched for "816093" so I could download it and install it on our
    > various networked XP machines.
    >
    > The only results I got was:
    >
    > 1.
    > Windows 2000 Security Patch: Security Update for Microsoft Virtual
    > Machine (Microsoft VM)
    >
    > This update addresses the vulnerability addressed in Knowledge Base
    > Article 816093. To find out if more recent security updates are available
    > for you, see the Overview section of this page.
    >
    > Date: 4/9/2003 Popularity: #166 English download
    >

    > ....which, mind you, doesn't work on XP!
    >
    > So where's the file to download?
    >

    > --
    >
    > Julian Milano
    > |
    > (To reply, remove NOSPAM from the email address)
    > |

    > begin 666 1ptrans.gif
    > L1TE&.#EA`0`!`( ``/\SS ```"'Y! $`````+ `````!``$`0 ("A%$`.P``
    > `
    > end
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.misc,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Julian Milano wrote:
    > Let me explain to you how complicated this REALLY is.
    >
    > I went to support.microsoft.com and searched for 816093 and got
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;816093.
    > There's a link which says "Network administrators can download this
    > update from the Windows Update Catalog"
    >
    > The link is http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/catalog so I
    > clicked on it and got the Catalog. I then selected:
    > - Find updates for Windows OSs
    > - WinXP Pro SP1
    >
    > Now.....if you can find 816093 then I'll send you a virtual medal
    > of honor! I can't.............

    I found it - no problem..
    Let me explain how UNCOMPLICATED this is.. heh

    Flaw in the Microsoft VM Could Enable System Compromise
    "816093" - Windows Update - Windows Catalog only
    Search for the "Windows XP RTM" update containing "816093"

    Let me give you the step by step... It's not hard, but I will go into
    excruciating detail.
    (Please notice that you have to choose Windows XP RTM, not Windows XP SP1
    when searching..)

    Go to:
    http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/catalog

    Click on:
    Find updates for Microsoft Windows operating systems

    Scroll Down to and Click on:
    Windows XP RTM

    Click on:

    In the "Contains these words" blank below that pops down, type:
    816093

    Press Enter.

    The Search will return 1 and only 1 result. Click on the words:
    Critical Updates and Service Packs (1)

    Click on the "Add" button next to the following:
    816093: Security Update Microsoft Virtual Machine (Microsoft VM) - (Posted
    Date: November 04, 2003)
    Download size: 5.1 MB
    This update helps resolve a vulnerability in the Microsoft virtual machine.
    After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer. Once you
    have installed this item, it cannot be removed. Read More...

    Now click on:
    Go to Download Basket

    Click on the "Browse" button and choose where you want to save it. It WILL
    make a deep directory structure on its own. Or you could just type in a
    path - I typed in c:\temp.

    Click on the:
    Download Now
    button...

    Click ACCEPT when the agreement pops up.

    Once it is downloaded, you will go (in my example) to this directory:
    C:\temp\WU\Software\en\com_microsoft.windowsxp\x86WinXP\com_microsoft.Q81609
    3_VM3810_Ver1
    (Substitute C:\TEMP\ with where ever you downloaded it.)

    There you will find two files.. You want the "msjavwu.exe" file.

    Does that help?

    There are more patches out there.. Make yourself a CD!

    Below this point you will find the Windows XP (32bit, English) editions
    updates from SP1 and through the end of May 2004. You will also find some
    other downloads (tweaks, plugins, extras) that you may find useful. If all
    of this is put on one CD, you pretty much have a way to patch through May
    2004 any Windows XP (32bit, english) machine without a network connection at
    all.

    You can install these in the order given, and if you (for whatever crazy
    reason) substitute the individual packages in for the Rollup, those are in
    order at the bottom of the post, just pretend they are up top with the
    roll-up.

    Windows XP SP1a:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/updates/sp1/network.mspx
    or.. Short Link: http://snipurl.com/4ow7

    Update Rollup 1 for Microsoft Windows XP:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=d531bf00-d7be-48e3-abcc-961602bd72c2&displaylang=en
    or.. Short Link: http://tinyurl.com/r4lh
    ** At the bottom of the post, the Rollup is broken down into component
    patches. Why? I don't know - just in case that is needed.

    - April 2003, Cumulative Patch for Outlook Express 6
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/downloads/critical/330994/default.asp

    - Flaw in Windows Script Engine May Allow Code to Run
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=824B1BD4-B4D6-49D5-8C58-199BDC731B64&displaylang=en
    or.. Short Link: http://tinyurl.com/m187

    - Flaw in the Microsoft VM Could Enable System Compromise
    "816093" - Windows Update - Windows Catalog only - Search for the "Windows
    XP SP1" update containing "816093" --
    http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/catalog

    - Vulnerability in Authenticode Verification Could Allow Remote Code
    Execution
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=6CDF5303-D767-4D68-9BA7-055E93E87847&displaylang=en
    or.. Short Link: http://tinyurl.com/2qy2t

    - Flaw in NetBIOS Could Lead to Information Disclosure
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?amp;displaylang=en&familyid=1C9D8E86-5B8C-401A-88B2-4443FFB9EDC3&displaylang=en
    or.. Short Link: http://tinyurl.com/3b8k3

    - Buffer Overrun in the ListBox and in the ComboBox Control Could Allow Code
    Execution
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=ABC764AC-5B7B-4B99-BF3E-F57352E4C507&displaylang=en
    or.. Short Link: http://tinyurl.com/29k68

    - Buffer Overrun in Windows Help and Support Center Could Lead to System
    Compromise
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=84317458-0BEB-4B2C-A095-66CA09DFDAC6&displaylang=en
    or.. Short Link: http://tinyurl.com/2d8z4

    - Buffer Overrun in Messenger Service Could Allow Code Execution
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=F02DA309-4B0A-4438-A0B9-5B67414C3833&displaylang=en
    or.. Short Link: http://tinyurl.com/skrz

    - Windows Media Player 9 and Movie Maker 2
    http://unattended.msfn.org/files/WMP9_MM2_ENU.exe

    - Update for Windows Media Player URL Script Command Behavior
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=AF9CF65E-0C55-452E-A0FA-3AA165E667C1&displaylang=en
    or.. Short Link: http://tinyurl.com/qz5n

    - Cumulative Update for Microsoft RPC/DCOM
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=D488BBBB-DA77-448D-8FF0-0A649A0D8FC3&displaylang=en
    or.. Short Link: http://tinyurl.com/27saq

    - Some URL script commands do not work after you apply 828026
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=D125D278-DB07-4A36-8D64-8812E7F2AF70&displaylang=en
    or.. Short Link: http://tinyurl.com/2b23q

    - February 2004, Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=70530968-B59A-47C0-90D3-0C884910BC97&displaylang=en
    or.. Short Link: http://tinyurl.com/2eeyl

    - Wininet retries POST requests with a blank header
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?amp;amp;displaylang=en&familyid=254EB128-5053-48A7-8526-BD38215C74B2&displaylang=en
    or.. Short Link: http://tinyurl.com/3a5ag

    - Security Update for Microsoft Windows - Sasser
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=3549EA9E-DA3F-43B9-A4F1-AF243B6168F3&displaylang=en
    or.. Short Link: http://tinyurl.com/2vj4h

    - MDAC 2.8
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=6c050fe3-c795-4b7d-b037-185d0506396c&DisplayLang=en
    or.. Short Link: http://tinyurl.com/iza5

    - Vulnerability in the Microsoft Jet Database Engine could permit code
    execution
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=EA17D1CB-075E-4B63-BC45-06EBBF41C6B5&displaylang=en
    or.. Short Link: http://tinyurl.com/2lhmb

    - April Cumulative Security Update for Outlook Express
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=925628BD-1B5F-4B21-8DB6-EDE1C73F97B5&displaylang=en
    or.. Short Link: http://tinyurl.com/3994g

    - Windows XP Documentation Update
    "Q327405" - Windows Update - Windows Catalog only - Search for the "Windows
    XP SP1" update containing "Q327405" - one of the top ones at 1.3MB --
    http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/catalog

    - DirectX 9.0b
    (It's RAR'd) - http://unattended.msfn.org/files/DX9NTopk.rar

    - Dot Net FrameWork
    http://download.microsoft.com/download/a/a/c/aac39226-8825-44ce-90e3-bf8203e74006/dotnetfx.exe
    or.. Short Link: http://tinyurl.com/dzyu

    - HighMAT Support in XP CD Writing Wizard
    http://download.microsoft.com/download/2/2/b/22b5a5fa-fb50-4fc3-9f27-ba27816ec844/HMTCDWizard_enu.exe
    or.. Short Link: http://tinyurl.com/25tva

    - Jet 4.0 Service Pack 8
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=2deddec4-350e-4cd0-a12a-d7f70a153156&displaylang=en
    or.. Short Link: http://tinyurl.com/r9mu

    - Windows XP SP1 USB 1.1 and 2.0 Update
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?amp;amp;displaylang=en&familyid=733dd867-56a0-4956-b7fe-e85b688b7f86&displaylang=en
    or.. Short Link: http://tinyurl.com/2zmnv

    - Windows Error Reporting
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=a1c6c3d8-5053-436e-b898-9cd995292baa&displaylang=en
    or.. Short Link: http://tinyurl.com/kdg5

    - Set Program Access and Defaults Update
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=c87ef940-a311-4d3c-a7be-2f86a8a5d450&displaylang=en
    or.. Short Link: http://tinyurl.com/ds3a

    - Advanced Networking Pack for Windows XP
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?amp;amp;amp;displaylang=en&familyid=E88CC382-8CE6-4739-97C0-1A52A6F005E4&displaylang=en
    or.. Short Link: http://tinyurl.com/2r79w

    - DirectShow Playback Support Update
    "810243" - Windows Update - Windows Catalog only - Search for the "Windows
    XP SP1" update containing "810243" --
    http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/catalog

    - Program Compatibility Fixes Stop Working
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=340de75d-8566-4277-8ac4-0f4352af33c0
    or.. Short Link: http://tinyurl.com/ljar

    - Game Stops Responding (Hangs)
    "327979" - Windows Update - Windows Catalog only - Search for the "Windows
    XP SP1" update containing "327979" --
    http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/catalog

    - You Cannot Preview a Fax
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=98324096-E978-4B0A-9C33-2C6466522E5C
    or.. Short Link: http://tinyurl.com/759f

    - ASN.1 vulnerability could allow code execution
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=0CC30297-D4AE-48E9-ACD0-1343D89CCBBA&displaylang=en
    or.. Short Link: http://tinyurl.com/284mg

    - MDAC Security Patch
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=39472EE8-C14A-47B4-BFCC-87988E062D91&displaylang=en
    or.. Short Link: http://tinyurl.com/yt3pa

    - Vulnerability in Help and Support Center
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=563F65A3-D793-47B4-A607-948CAA5B3454&displaylang=en
    or.. Short Link: http://tinyurl.com/2wvko

    - Microsoft Journal Viewer
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&familyid=fad44098-8b73-4e06-96d4-d1eb70eacb44
    or.. Short Link: http://tinyurl.com/2wx92

    - MSN Messenger 6.2
    http://www.softwarepatch.com/internet/msnmess.html

    - Flash Player 7
    http://www.softwarepatch.com/internet/flash.html

    - Shockwave 10
    http://www.softwarepatch.com/internet/shockwave.html

    - Quicktime 6.5.1
    http://www.softwarepatch.com/internet/quicktime.html

    - Spybot Search and Destroy (Spyware Removal/Prevention)
    http://snipurl.com/7p4d

    - SpywareBlaster (Spyware Prevention)
    http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/sbdownload.html

    - Adobe Acrobat Reader 6.01
    http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/alternate.html

    - Real Alternative 1.23 (I hate Real Player)
    http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail.php3?fid=1054136293

    - ISO Recorder Powertoy for XP
    http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail.php3?fid=1010212925

    - TweakUI and other XP Powertoy

    ** If you think you don't want to do the Update Rollup 1 for Windows XP and
    want to instead, break it down into it's core components - here they are.
    (Although, to be honest I have NO IDEA why anyone would ever want to
    download these 22 patches instead of just the one. heh)

    - Hyperlinks Open in Internet Explorer Instead of in Default Browser or Help
    and Support Center
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=EDEAB3C7-22B9-4D77-B0A4-5B4BB4D12FF0&displaylang=en
    or.. Short Link: http://tinyurl.com/2unrr

    - An Unchecked Buffer in the Windows Shell Could Permit Your System to Be
    Compromised
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=27D02AF5-A2E1-4E25-9D16-502886161A35&displaylang=en
    or.. Short Link: http://tinyurl.com/msyb

    - Buffer Overrun in Windows Kernel Message Handling Could Lead to Elevated
    Privileges
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?amp;displaylang=en&familyid=9F81E615-3DEC-4A4B-826A-4E0FEAB42323&displaylang=en
    or.. Short Link: http://tinyurl.com/yutju

    - Flaw in Windows WM_TIMER Message Handling Can Enable Privilege Elevation
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=98F02C55-E598-4EB1-AABE-DB3BA0807685&displaylang=en
    or.. Short Link: http://tinyurl.com/2ab8y

    - Buffer Overrun in RPC May Allow Code Execution
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?amp;displaylang=en&familyid=2354406C-C5B6-44AC-9532-3DE40F69C074&displaylang=en
    or.. Short Link: http://tinyurl.com/khuz

    - Flaw in RPC Endpoint Mapper Could Allow Denial of Service Attacks
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=94213569-3258-4439-9AE7-5D86813B4D9E&displaylang=en
    or.. Short Link: http://tinyurl.com/yqr3

    - Unchecked Buffer in Windows Help Facility May Allow Attacker to Run Code
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=F699BB98-CF57-4E5E-A13F-CD04D4D94308
    or.. Short Link: http://tinyurl.com/4m8h

    - Unchecked Buffer in Windows Redirector May Permit Privilege Elevation
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=33DABD1F-505E-48ED-B9BD-CDAC0F8A2BC1&displaylang=en
    or.. Short Link: http://tinyurl.com/ytwgv

    - Unchecked Buffer in Windows Component May Cause Web Server Compromise
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=84FC577D-F2D5-47B8-AB98-77BA7501B00B&displaylang=en
    or.. Short Link: http://tinyurl.com/kii2

    - Certificate Validation Flaw Might Permit Identity Spoofing
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=75CE60AF-BF36-4625-AF5C-49F6193D52E2
    or.. Short Link: http://tinyurl.com/2ob7y

    - Flaw in SMB Signing May Permit Group Policy to Be Modified
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=77b49431-742b-4426-ad45-f09d3aed16cb&DisplayLang=en
    or.. Short Link: http://tinyurl.com/2c98q

    - Buffer Overrun in Windows Could Lead to Data Corruption
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=8F407A78-646C-4F82-BF74-12298ED5D8CF&displaylang=en
    or.. Short Link: http://tinyurl.com/2dd4d

    - Cannot Install Driver Updates from the Windows Update Web Site
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?amp;displaylang=en&familyid=75FF4D9A-9B03-4C3B-9EA3-03F926A0BC50&displaylang=en
    or.. Short Link: http://tinyurl.com/35saq

    - Unchecked Buffer in the Locator Service Might Permit Code to Run
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=DF24197E-6217-4ABD-A244-0A53320B2813&displaylang=en
    or.. Short Link: http://tinyurl.com/ypsth

    - Buffer Overrun in the HTML Converter Could Allow Code Execution
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?amp;displaylang=en&familyid=1C9914AB-25F8-462E-ADC0-5AC6BD0116DE&displaylang=en
    or.. Short Link: http://tinyurl.com/2x5rb

    - Unchecked Buffer in File Decompression Functions May Allow Attacker to Run
    Code
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=D7713F66-7452-46F1-B9DB-ED533CF826E9
    or.. Short Link: http://tinyurl.com/yv5p6

    - You Cannot Create a Network Connection After You Restore Windows XP
    "Q329441" - Windows Update - Windows Catalog only - Search for the "Windows
    XP SP1" update containing "Q329441" --
    http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/catalog

    - Windows Update 643 Error and the Catalog Database
    "Q817287" - Windows Update - Windows Catalog only - Search for the "Windows
    XP SP1" update containing "Q817287" --
    http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/catalog

    - Unchecked Buffer in Windows Shell Might Permit System Compromise
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=A0BE7AF2-2653-4767-A85D-24BF68D28D20&displaylang=en
    or.. Short Link: http://tinyurl.com/kr0k

    - Unchecked Buffer in PPTP Implementation May Permit Denial-of-Service
    Attacks
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=E0633266-F24F-457B-BC91-84A8210B0FBF
    or.. Short Link: http://tinyurl.com/35fk2

    - HTML Help Update to Limit Functionality When It Is Invoked with the
    window.showHelp Method
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=2a086526-ae89-4cb3-a819-e6da160f2e66&DisplayLang=en
    or.. Short Link: http://tinyurl.com/5g0o

    - A Buffer Overrun in RPCSS May Allow Code Execution
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?amp;languageid=f49e8428-7071-4979-8a67-3cffcb0c2524&familyid=5fa055ae-a1ba-4d4a-b424-95d32cfc8cba&displaylang=en
    or.. Short Link: http://tinyurl.com/n7ki

    --
    <- Shenan ->
    --

    Because people would scream about how intrusive Microsoft is. They don't
    want anyone nosing around in "their" computer. Neither would I.

    The way it is now, my system sends information to Microsoft, upon my request
    (via Windows Update), about what patches have already been installed on my
    system. Microsoft then does a compare with it's database, and lets me know
    what else is available or what I need. But, they DO NOT look around in my
    system!

    --
    Regards:

    Richard Urban

    aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

    "Julian Milano" <jdmils_NOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    Why can't almighty MS just put together some code which will scan the local
    PC, check with the MS web site, then download the updates to a "holding"
    folder, which the user chooses, then give the option to install the update.
    If there are multiple updates, give the option to install all or some of
    them.

    Better still- scan the whole network and then perform the above, wrt all the
    workstations/servers found. If they can create an OS like WinXP, Win2003
    Svr, etc, why can't they create a patch-scanner-downloader??

    --

    Julian Milano

    (To reply, remove NOSPAM from the email address)

    "PA Bear" <PABear@mvps.org> wrote in message
    From http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=816093:

    <quote>

    If you are running Windows Server 2003, Windows XP, or Windows 2000 SP4
    without the Microsoft VM installed, you cannot install this update to the
    Microsoft VM. If you try to install this update to the Microsoft VM on a
    computer that does not already have the Microsoft VM installed that is
    running Windows Server 2003, Windows XP, or Windows 2000 SP4, you receive
    the following message:

    Microsoft VM
    This setup will only upgrade over an existing version of the Microsoft VM.

    If you click OK, you receive the following message:

    Microsoft VM
    The installation is complete.

    This message is incorrect. The Microsoft VM is not installed if you do not
    already have the Microsoft VM installed.

    For additional information, click the following article numbers to view the
    articles in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
    820101 Frequently asked questions about the Microsoft VM and Windows 2000
    Service Pack 4
    813926 Differences between Windows XP Service Pack 1 and Windows XP Service
    Pack 1a

    From your headers: "Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2800.1409"
    The machine from which you posted your message needs other critical security
    updates, too:
    Microsoft Security Bulletin Summary for July, 2004
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/ms04-jul.mspx

    Protect Your PC
    HTH - Please Reply to This Thread
    ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
    MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE), AH-VSOP
    AumHa Forums
    http://forum.aumha.org
    What You Should Know About Spyware
    http://www.microsoft.com/mscorp/twc/privacy/spyware.mspx

    Julian Milano wrote:
    > My XP system told me it needed the patch for 816093. So, being the network
    > admin, I got onto the Windows Catalog site
    > (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/search.aspx?displaylang=en&categoryid=7)
    > and searched for "816093" so I could download it and install it on our
    > various networked XP machines.
    >
    > The only results I got was:
    >
    > 1.
    > Windows 2000 Security Patch: Security Update for Microsoft Virtual
    > Machine (Microsoft VM)
    >
    > This update addresses the vulnerability addressed in Knowledge Base
    > Article 816093. To find out if more recent security updates are available
    > for you, see the Overview section of this page.
    >
    > Date: 4/9/2003 Popularity: #166 English download
    >

    > ....which, mind you, doesn't work on XP!
    >
    > So where's the file to download?
    >

    > Julian Milano
    >>
    > (To reply, remove NOSPAM from the email address)
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.misc,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Julian Milano wrote:
    > Why can't almighty MS just put together some code which will scan the
    > local PC, check with the MS web site, then download the updates to a
    > "holding" folder, which the user chooses, then give the option to install
    > the update. If there are multiple updates, give the option to install all
    > or some of them.

    In part, this is exactly what the Windows Update V4 engine does, Julian.
    This procedure seems to satisfy a couple hundred million users worldwide.

    > Better still- scan the whole network and then perform the above, wrt all
    > the workstations/servers found. If they can create an OS like WinXP,
    > Win2003 Svr, etc, why can't they create a patch-scanner-downloader??

    MS (and others) offer applications which can help to do just that:

    Microsoft Network Security Hotfix Checker (Hfnetchk.exe) Tool
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;303215

    Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (MBSA) version 1.2

    Microsoft Software Update Services (SUS)
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;322365
    --
    HTH - Please Reply to This Thread

    ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
    MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE), AH-VSOP

    AumHa Forums
    http://forum.aumha.org

    What You Should Know About Spyware
    http://www.microsoft.com/mscorp/twc/privacy/spyware.mspx

    > "PA Bear" wrote:
    >
    > <quote>
    > If you are running Windows Server 2003, Windows XP, or Windows 2000 SP4
    > without the Microsoft VM installed, you cannot install this update to the
    > Microsoft VM. If you try to install this update to the Microsoft VM on a
    > computer that does not already have the Microsoft VM installed that is
    > running Windows Server 2003, Windows XP, or Windows 2000 SP4, you receive
    > the following message:
    >
    > Microsoft VM
    > This setup will only upgrade over an existing version of the Microsoft VM.
    >
    > If you click OK, you receive the following message:
    >
    > Microsoft VM
    > The installation is complete.
    >
    > This message is incorrect. The Microsoft VM is not installed if you do
    > not already have the Microsoft VM installed.
    >
    > For additional information, click the following article numbers to view
    > the articles in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
    > 820101 Frequently asked questions about the Microsoft VM and Windows 2000
    > Service Pack 4
    > 813926 Differences between Windows XP Service Pack 1 and Windows XP
    > Service Pack 1a
    >
    > From your headers: "Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2800.1409"
    > The machine from which you posted your message needs other critical
    > security updates, too:
    > Microsoft Security Bulletin Summary for July, 2004
    > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/ms04-jul.mspx
    > --
    > Julian Milano wrote:
    >> My XP system told me it needed the patch for 816093. So, being the
    >> network admin, I got onto the Windows Catalog site
    >> (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/search.aspx?displaylang=en&categoryid=7)
    >> and searched for "816093" so I could download it and install it on our
    >> various networked XP machines.
    >>
    >> The only results I got was:
    >>
    >> 1. Windows 2000 Security Patch: Security Update for Microsoft
    >> Virtual
    >> Machine (Microsoft VM)
    >>
    >> This update addresses the vulnerability addressed in Knowledge
    >> Base Article 816093. To find out if more recent security updates are
    >> available for you, see the Overview section of this page.
    >>
    >> Date: 4/9/2003 Popularity: #166 English download
    >>
    >> ....which, mind you, doesn't work on XP!
    >>
    >> So where's the file to download?
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.misc,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    It's not want I want- I want to distribute the download, not install it on
    my PC.

    --

    "Crusty "Old B@stard"" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > What does Windows Update say when you run it. You did, didn't you? If you
    > need it, WU will give it to you.
    >
    > --
    > Regards:
    >
    > Richard Urban
    >
    > aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)
    >

    > "Julian Milano" <jdmils_NOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > My XP system told me it needed the patch for 816093. So, being the
    network
    > > admin, I got onto the Windows Catalog site

    (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/search.aspx?displaylang=en&categoryid=7)
    > > and searched for "816093" so I could download it and install it on our
    > > various networked XP machines.
    > >
    > > The only results I got was:
    > >
    > > 1.
    > > Windows 2000 Security Patch: Security Update for Microsoft Virtual
    > > Machine (Microsoft VM)
    > >
    > > This update addresses the vulnerability addressed in Knowledge
    Base
    > > Article 816093. To find out if more recent security updates are
    available
    > > for you, see the Overview section of this page.
    > >
    > > Date: 4/9/2003 Popularity: #166 English download
    > >

    > > ....which, mind you, doesn't work on XP!
    > >
    > > So where's the file to download?
    > >

    > > --
    > >
    > > Julian Milano
    > > |
    > > (To reply, remove NOSPAM from the email address)

  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.misc,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    That would be gr8 if I had a Win2003 server.

    --

    Julian Milano

    (To reply, remove NOSPAM from the email address)

    "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
    > Look into SUS?
    >
    > Julian Milano wrote:
    > > My XP system told me it needed the patch for 816093. So, being the
    > > network admin, I got onto the Windows Catalog site

    (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/search.aspx?displaylang=en&categoryid=7)
    > > and searched for "816093" so I could download it and install it on our
    > > various networked XP machines.
    > >
    > > The only results I got was:
    > >
    > > 1.
    > > Windows 2000 Security Patch: Security Update for Microsoft
    > > Virtual Machine (Microsoft VM)
    > >
    > > This update addresses the vulnerability addressed in
    > > Knowledge Base Article 816093. To find out if more recent security
    > > updates are available for you, see the Overview section of this page.
    > >
    > > Date: 4/9/2003 Popularity: #166 English download
    > >

    > > ....which, mind you, doesn't work on XP!
    > >
    > > So where's the file to download?
    > >

    > > Julian Milano
    > >>
    > > (To reply, remove NOSPAM from the email address)

Security Microsoft Windows XP Windows