black and white on tv in 16 or 32bit but colour in safe mode

kaibraine

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2005
Hi

I have a problem setting up my tv to use for watching videos from my PC.
I have connected an s-video convertor from my geforce 6600 G to a video cable which then connects to a scart convertor which is plugged into the scart socket on the TV. The problem is that when windows loads up it turns black and white, in other words, the logo displayed when "loading windows" is in colour but when the "welcome" screen loads it is black and white and so is the desktop. I decided to try safe mode as this, I believe, is
16 colours and to no surprise I get colour on my TV. Obviously there is no problem with the leads to the T.V. and I have tried all the different settings for formats..PAL etc. I've been working on this for 6 hours, it's doing my head in, anyone got any ideas? :?

edit: I am using the latest forceware drivers, version 8.1.9.5 on windows xp pro sp2

kaibraine

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2005
Ok, heres the solution. Apparently scart convertors can only pick up a black and white picture from S-video. Don't ask me why. Anyway, the solution was to open up the scart convertor and apply a little hack with a piece of wire inside. Now I get colour on my TV, funny solution but it worked.

Here is the link to the page with the instructions for the hack http://camp0s.altervista.org/sVideo/sVideo.htm

:D