Simple Explanation to Networking Wirelessly??

Tags:
  • Wireless
  • Networking
  • Wireless Networking
Last response: in Wireless Networking
a b F Wireless
August 18, 2005 9:39:10 PM

Newbie Question:
I'm new to using wireless technology. I just bought a laptop computer
and have it connected to the Internet using a Netgear Wireless router.
That's easy enough, but how do I go about accessing files on my desktop
PC and printing to the printer which is connected to the desktop PC? Is
it is as simple as changing a few settings? Do I need to purchase
additional hardware?

Since I'm a newbie in this area, if you talk in baby terms in your
explanation, I won't mind and would really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance!!!
Jaxim

More about : simple explanation networking wirelessly

August 18, 2005 11:13:23 PM

Jaxim wrote:

> Newbie Question:
> I'm new to using wireless technology. I just bought a laptop computer
> and have it connected to the Internet using a Netgear Wireless router.
> That's easy enough, but how do I go about accessing files on my
> desktop PC and printing to the printer which is connected to the
> desktop PC? Is it is as simple as changing a few settings? Do I need
> to purchase additional hardware?
>
> Since I'm a newbie in this area, if you talk in baby terms in your
> explanation, I won't mind and would really appreciate it.

You just need to set up a home network. You don't need to buy anything
extra. You didn't tell us what operating systems the two computers are
running, but if they are XP just run the Network Setup Wizard (in
Control Panel) on both of them. If you are only using the Windows
Firewall that comes with XP SP2, then the Wizard will ask you if you
want to enable file and printer sharing. Of course you will say "yes".

If you have a third-party firewall installed, you'll need to disable the
Windows Firewall after you run the Wizard (Windows Firewall applet in
Control Panel) and configure your third-party firewall to allow your
Local Area Network (lan) as trusted. This is not difficult to do.

Then you need to share out the files and printers you want to on each
computer.

Here are some links to help visualize things:

http://www.ezlan.net/index.html

Malke
--
MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
Elephant Boy Computers

thanks to the two of you for replying. I'll try to set it up sometime
tomorrow.

One question though. Is there a way to protect my desktop and laptop
(and my printer from that matter) from other people accessing my
computers' files throught the network. There's gotta be some kind of
elementary password system set up, right? Can you confirm this?

again, thanks!

p.s. yes, my computers are running windows xp, more specifically --
Windows XP Media Center 2005 Edition (desktop) & Windows XP Tablet PC
Edition (laptop/tabletPC).
a b F Wireless
August 19, 2005 2:14:08 AM

You might want to take a look at the instructions here,
http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp/addxp.ht... see if you
understand them or not, and if you feel they apply to you. Then ask what you
don't understand.

--
David {MVP}
Microsoft Mobile Devices

benefit of all of us...
The MARA Program - http://www.mobileav.org/index.html

rights...

Spelling and grammar errors left in for those that need a little joy in
their life by correcting me.

"Jaxim" <mr_nice_1973@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Newbie Question:
> I'm new to using wireless technology. I just bought a laptop computer
> and have it connected to the Internet using a Netgear Wireless router.
> That's easy enough, but how do I go about accessing files on my desktop
> PC and printing to the printer which is connected to the desktop PC? Is
> it is as simple as changing a few settings? Do I need to purchase
> additional hardware?
>
> Since I'm a newbie in this area, if you talk in baby terms in your
> explanation, I won't mind and would really appreciate it.
>
> Thanks in advance!!!
> Jaxim

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
August 19, 2005 5:04:27 AM

Yes. When you setup a share, you give it a user name, or names and also a
password. Think up something creative for the name, rather than guess and a
password, that is nothing.Also when you create the "share" you can assign
different "level of access" to different users. So you can set that a
"friend" may read you files, but lacks the ability to change them or create
new ones. Good Luck tomorrow.

--

> thanks to the two of you for replying. I'll try to set it up sometime
> tomorrow.
>
> One question though. Is there a way to protect my desktop and laptop
> (and my printer from that matter) from other people accessing my
> computers' files throught the network. There's gotta be some kind of
> elementary password system set up, right? Can you confirm this?
>
> again, thanks!
>
> p.s. yes, my computers are running windows xp, more specifically --
> Windows XP Media Center 2005 Edition (desktop) & Windows XP Tablet PC
> Edition (laptop/tabletPC).

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
August 19, 2005 10:22:42 PM

Well, I got it to work!!! Thanks everyone!!

Some more newbie questions, the answer to which may might help other
newbies:

1) How do I modify the login/password information? When I set up the
network I didn't see where I could enter in this information. Can I add
this information after I have set up the network?

2) I accidently created 2 networks, by typing in an incorrect name of
the newtwork. Is there a way to delete a network(s) and possibly
starting over from scratch? When I right click on the netwroks I
created, there is no delete option.
!