"Sermouse" service?

Lars

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2003

Hi group,

I have had a fight with mice and other stuff on Com ports.
Most of that is history now, but one little annoying thing
remains of the battle.

NT 4, SP 6.

When Windows starts it reports that one "service" was not
loaded and that more info can be found in the logbook.
That same logbook says that the service "sermouse" was not
started.

We have a PS/2 mouse on the system and actually do not want
Windows to even think of any serial mice.

Among Windows services, as accessed through Control Panel
applet "Services" I do not see any "sermouse" or related.
How can I zap this thing?

Lars
Stockholm

You can disable it and then the service error will disappear.
--
Yor Suiris
Remove the kNOT to reply.
<Lars@fake.com> wrote in message
> Hi group,
>
> I have had a fight with mice and other stuff on Com ports.
> Most of that is history now, but one little annoying thing
> remains of the battle.
>
> NT 4, SP 6.
>
> When Windows starts it reports that one "service" was not
> loaded and that more info can be found in the logbook.
> That same logbook says that the service "sermouse" was not
> started.
>
> We have a PS/2 mouse on the system and actually do not want
> Windows to even think of any serial mice.
>
> Among Windows services, as accessed through Control Panel
> applet "Services" I do not see any "sermouse" or related.
> How can I zap this thing?
>

> Lars
> Stockholm

Add the /noserialmice option to the line that starts Windows NT in boot.ini
See the link below for some more information:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;%5BLN%5D;Q131976

For even more info, search on Google for /noserialmice

In article <ib0ig0p6g4bkvetle1u5oeis43qog47064@4ax.com>, Lars@fake.com wrote:
|Hi group,
|
|I have had a fight with mice and other stuff on Com ports.
|Most of that is history now, but one little annoying thing
|remains of the battle.
|
|NT 4, SP 6.
|
|When Windows starts it reports that one "service" was not
|loaded and that more info can be found in the logbook.
|That same logbook says that the service "sermouse" was not
|started.
|
|We have a PS/2 mouse on the system and actually do not want
|Windows to even think of any serial mice.
|
|Among Windows services, as accessed through Control Panel
|applet "Services" I do not see any "sermouse" or related.
|How can I zap this thing?
|

|Lars
|Stockholm

Lars

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2003

On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 12:04:14 -0400, "Yor Suiris"
<yor@hallgroupNOT.net> wrote:

>You can disable it and then the service error will disappear.

Disable what?

Lars
Stockholm

Lars

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2003

I have had the noserialmice option in boot.ini since about
seven years. This problem has nothing to do with that.

When windows interprets "another" com port device as a mouse
it will send the mouse pointer flying in every direction as
well as opening and closing windows depending on the
incoming signals. If I had had any such behaviour I would
have included it in my original post.

On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 16:34:06 GMT, nospam.please@ualberta.ca
wrote:

>Add the /noserialmice option to the line that starts Windows NT in boot.ini
>See the link below for some more information:
>http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;%5BLN%5D;Q131976
>
>For even more info, search on Google for /noserialmice
>
>In article <ib0ig0p6g4bkvetle1u5oeis43qog47064@4ax.com>, Lars@fake.com wrote:
> |Hi group,
> |
> |I have had a fight with mice and other stuff on Com ports.
> |Most of that is history now, but one little annoying thing
> |remains of the battle.
> |
> |NT 4, SP 6.
> |
> |When Windows starts it reports that one "service" was not
> |loaded and that more info can be found in the logbook.
> |That same logbook says that the service "sermouse" was not
> |started.
> |
> |We have a PS/2 mouse on the system and actually do not want
> |Windows to even think of any serial mice.
> |
> |Among Windows services, as accessed through Control Panel
> |applet "Services" I do not see any "sermouse" or related.
> |How can I zap this thing?
> |

> |Lars
> |Stockholm

Lars
Stockholm

In control pannel go to services, find the sermouse and edit it's properties
so that it is disabled on startup.
Sorry for the slow reply, I've been on vacation.