Ghost reports Unnamed MFT Table Entry

Les

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2001

While performing a ghost of an NTFS partition there are
many files reported as being "Unnamed MFT Table Entry"
and Ghost takes quite a while to process these files
which slows done the image creation process !!
What are these files and how can they be removed from the
NTFS partition prior to performing the Ghost ??

Les wrote:

> While performing a ghost of an NTFS partition there are
> many files reported as being "Unnamed MFT Table Entry"
> and Ghost takes quite a while to process these files
> which slows done the image creation process !!
> What are these files and how can they be removed from the
> NTFS partition prior to performing the Ghost ??

Files 1 KB or smaller are stored entirely in the MFT
rather than merely having an entry in the MFT telling
the OS where else on the partition to find the file.

A version of Ghost I used a few years ago used to give
me that kind of message after those < 1 KB files were
deleted to the recycle bin. Emptying the recycle bin
(or at least removing the small files from it) solved
the problem for me - but because of other problems
with Ghost I went back to using Drive Image.

I'm sure current version of Ghost would have fixed this by now.

For most of the earlier problems between Ghost and NTFS, you
could use the "-ntc" switch with Ghost to tell Ghost to ignore
and problems it thought it found with the data on the partition
and just clone the d*amned data. This was particularly useful
with fragmented MFT's, which threw earlier versions of Ghost
into a tizzy.