Scientists Create High-Density, Flexible Lithium-Ion Batteries

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Keep going I want my wearable gear in the next 2 years, no more of this carrying a hard piece of plastic around anymore.

pythy

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2009
It's a good breakthrough and all but I seriously can't think of a gadget that would work better if it was able to bend. Can someone please give an example?

altriss

Honorable
Jun 19, 2012
it looks like another Korean company has brought us one step closer to flexible electronics

KAIST Is not a company, it's a university! It's like saying Berkeley is a company... No sense, isn't it?

By the way it would fit great into some device such as Samsung Galaxy Skin!
I just hope Aple will not scream about idea patent infringement...

vittau

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2010
[citation][nom]pythy[/nom]It's a good breakthrough and all but I seriously can't think of a gadget that would work better if it was able to bend. Can someone please give an example?[/citation]
Yeah, but I guess it should increase shock-resistance, so that's a good thing...

bawchicawawa

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2011
[citation][nom]pythy[/nom]It's a good breakthrough and all but I seriously can't think of a gadget that would work better if it was able to bend. Can someone please give an example?[/citation]

If you drop your phone or tablet everything wont shatter is what i'm guessing.

kronos_cornelius

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009
I think this is great for large screen phones such as the Galaxy Note. A thinner phone that has a large screen and can bend would be easier to carry in your pant's pocket.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008

Most new inventions where 'useless' at first.
When I bought my first 'computer ( A Sinclair ZX-81); all my friends decided I was nuts to spend a weeks salary on a silly toy.
I had my first 'cell phone' in 1984 (actually a car phone with a huge and expensive box in the trunk.
Everyone kept asking my... 'what is it good for'.

I bet someone will come up with a cool idea for those batteries and the rest of us will be wondering why 'we' did not think of it.

Gotta love technology ;-)

tolham

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2009
bendable means it can bend to the contours of your body, for instance. if they get it flexible enough, you could roll it up or fold it.

rbagany

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2011
I can think of a use: if you all remember the movie, "Let's Go to Prison", that's what the warden said: "If you have comments or suggestions about how I run my prison write it neatly on some paper, fold it up real good, pull your cheeks apart and stick it up your a*hole. If you have comments or suggestions about how I run my prison or, Iet's say, maybe the cuisine is not to your Iiking, please write a Ietter to my office."
Now, there you have it! All this - of course - on e-paper and bendable e-gadgets :)

digiex

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2009
I hope all this technological press releases, like graphane transistors, air lithium batteries, etc. would be be available to consumers sooner.

frostmachine

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2007

In electric/hybrid car, a battery that's able to bend would be less likely to break in a collision. Might even provide better shock absorption.

hetneo

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2011
Designer watches that double as gadget of any kind with screen, apparel with screens in and or on it (yes there are some prototypes around but all have bulky battery in one of pockets), ebook readers that roll in and out of some casing with battery being integrated in screen, and so on. But also this tech will not be limited to making batteries that can flex, at the moment there are constraints about shape of batteries, they need to have specific internal structure, this will change that. So there will be irregular shaped batteries too.

darkavenger123

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2010

Wearable bra and undies....play angry birds..if win game with 3 stars. Remove the part covering the titties from the screen!!!

G

"It's a good breakthrough and all but I seriously can't think of a gadget that would work better if it was able to bend. Can someone please give an example?"

This is a no-brainer: BENDER!

James296

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2010
[citation][nom]frostmachine[/nom]In electric/hybrid car, a battery that's able to bend would be less likely to break in a collision. Might even provide better shock absorption.[/citation]

not to mention you can in places on car that other batteries can't go, like lets say, inside the curves of a car's frame

James296

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2010
[citation][nom]frostmachine[/nom]In electric/hybrid car, a battery that's able to bend would be less likely to break in a collision. Might even provide better shock absorption.[/citation]

not to mention you can put it in places on car that other batteries can't go, like lets say, inside the curves of a car's frame

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
a standard lithium polymer can be made in pretty much any shape (eg you can make one in a "U" shape or just about any other contiguous shape. The layers just have to be shaped before the bonding process is done.

Making a battery flexible after the fact seems insanely difficult and somewhat unnecessary (unless you plan to make a entirely flexible device (flexible PCB, flexible oled display and battery)

G

If you have ever sat on your phone, you can really see the benefit, smart phones just don't like to bend.
And the trip to the hospital to have LCD shards removed is just not fun.

robochump

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010

Watch or fitness wrist band ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.