CH Throttle Quadrant

Hi Guys
I just purchased the ch throttle quad and noticed that it will not
control the engine controls properly in fs 2004. I have installed the ch
control manager, calibrated all ch products ( I also have the pro pedals and
USB yoke ), reassigned all the axis to twin throttle prop and mix, but the
controls either dont travel there full range( throttles are the same but
travel from a low of about 20% not idle to 80% ), props dont travel the
same, left mix doesnt move at all . I also reassigned the controls later
for the 4 engine 747 and noticed very similar problems.
After the install of quad and found its problems I downloaded the fs 9
update and the FSUIPC update but still had same issues
One last request for info would be is there a way to store the
assignments for each type of aircraft ( twin prop, twin jet, 4 engine jet,
ext.) without having to go into the joystick assignments and resetting them
each time manually.

Thanks for any help Pete

On Sat, 5 Mar 2005 09:16:19 -0500, "ehviator" <pandwsnow@rogers.com>
wrote:

> I just purchased the ch throttle quad and noticed that it will not
>control the engine controls properly in fs 2004....

Most of your problems can be attributed to Flight Simulator making
default 4-axis settings because it doesn't know the Quad by name. Go
into the FS Sensitivity and Null Zones screen. Sensitivities all the
way to the right, Null Zones all the way to the left. Also, go into
the Control Assignments screen and clear all the slew settings for the
Quad. If you don't, the thing will slew all over the place.

The grids in the Control Manager calibration routines show you what
comes from the controllers, not what goes to Windows, and calibration
won't affect that data. If you want to see what Windows sees, first
make sure the Quad is calibrated. Next, start a new map and add just
the Quad with the "Add" button. Then Download the file. The CM will
switch in to Mapped Mode. If you click the Test/Calibrate button at
that point, you'll only be given the choice of Control Manager Device
1 and you'll only be able to test it. You can't calibrate Control
Manager Devices, they get their calibration data from the real
devices. Anyway, the Control Manager Device gets scaled and centered
data so the grid there will show you what Windows sees.

If you're interested, there's an article on my website that talks
about the Quad, setting it up for Reverse Thrust, etc. Go to the Main
page and click the "Files" button up below the banner. When you get to
the Files page, look for CMNOTE02.ZIP. It has a WordPad .DOC file in
it that talks about the setup.

Another good place for CH info in general is over at the CH Hangar:

http://www.ch-hangar.com

Post in the forums over there, there are lots of folks to help.

Hope this helps!

- Bob

The StickWorks
http://www.stickworks.com

Thanks for your help Bob I'll give your suggestions a try
Pete
"Bob Church" <sticky_NO_@_SPAM_stickworks.com> wrote in message
> On Sat, 5 Mar 2005 09:16:19 -0500, "ehviator" <pandwsnow@rogers.com>
> wrote:
>
>> I just purchased the ch throttle quad and noticed that it will not
>>control the engine controls properly in fs 2004....
>
> Most of your problems can be attributed to Flight Simulator making
> default 4-axis settings because it doesn't know the Quad by name. Go
> into the FS Sensitivity and Null Zones screen. Sensitivities all the
> way to the right, Null Zones all the way to the left. Also, go into
> the Control Assignments screen and clear all the slew settings for the
> Quad. If you don't, the thing will slew all over the place.
>
> The grids in the Control Manager calibration routines show you what
> comes from the controllers, not what goes to Windows, and calibration
> won't affect that data. If you want to see what Windows sees, first
> make sure the Quad is calibrated. Next, start a new map and add just
> the Quad with the "Add" button. Then Download the file. The CM will
> switch in to Mapped Mode. If you click the Test/Calibrate button at
> that point, you'll only be given the choice of Control Manager Device
> 1 and you'll only be able to test it. You can't calibrate Control
> Manager Devices, they get their calibration data from the real
> devices. Anyway, the Control Manager Device gets scaled and centered
> data so the grid there will show you what Windows sees.
>
> If you're interested, there's an article on my website that talks
> about the Quad, setting it up for Reverse Thrust, etc. Go to the Main
> page and click the "Files" button up below the banner. When you get to
> the Files page, look for CMNOTE02.ZIP. It has a WordPad .DOC file in
> it that talks about the setup.
>
> Another good place for CH info in general is over at the CH Hangar:
>
> http://www.ch-hangar.com
>
> Post in the forums over there, there are lots of folks to help.
>
> Hope this helps!
>
> - Bob
>
> The StickWorks
> http://www.stickworks.com

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

ehviator wrote:
> Thanks for your help Bob I'll give your suggestions a try
> Pete
> "Bob Church" <sticky_NO_@_SPAM_stickworks.com> wrote in message
>
>>On Sat, 5 Mar 2005 09:16:19 -0500, "ehviator" <pandwsnow@rogers.com>
>>wrote:

Hi eh,

I just last night set up my quad throttle. I had the exact same
problems. I went to the disk that came with the quad and it goes
through each step 1 by 1 with pictures. I didn't read it close enough
the first time but when I re-read the PDF file I found my mistakes.
Another thing, It told me somewhere to NOT use the CH Manager, so I
didn't and everything worked out.

Everything works ok now. I would post the pictures but you already have
them on your disk.

Also, I would like to know how to save different settings, 4 eng, twin, etc.

--

boB

U.S. Army Aviation (retired)

Talon

Greetings ehviator,

I too had the same issues when I plugged in my Quad. The default
sensitivities are all out of whack on MSFS. I was fortunate in having read
a review of the Quad in Computer Pilot magazine and the author had warned
that this was going to happen and he was right. For starters, read closely
what Bob Church has to say........there is no one more knowledgeable about
joysticks in general. I found that placing all the sensitivities all the
way to the right, and the dead zones about 1/5 of the way up ( per the
article in Computer Pilot) I have had great success. I would also recommend
that you purchase the license to FSUIPC and use the expanded features to
filter and control each axis of the controller from within Flightsim.
FSUIPC is also the easiest way to set up the throttle axis to accomodate a
true detent for a thrust reverser. Having done these few things has added a
whole new dimension to my multi-engine flying experience in the sim.

boB,

Try the solution the Bill Learning posted regarding setting up multiple
instances of FS9 to allow for various controls. Try the instructions below
but instead of helo_fs9, set up one with multi_engine instead. You can then
use this and set up each axis and it will be all saved for the next time you
want to use the controller.

Regards,
Paul

As posted by Bill Learning on 12/30/04

"Why not simply go for a simpler solution.

1) Highlight "fs9.exe," rightclick Copy, rightclick Paste.
2) Highlight "Copy of fs9.exe" and rename to helo_fs9.exe.
3) Copy "fs9.cfg," rightclick copy, rightclick Paste.
4) Highlight "Copy of fs9.cfg" and rename to helo_fs9.cfg.
5) Right click on desktop shortcut for FS9, Paste a copy to Desktop.
6) Right click on new shortcut, select properties, change startup
name to helo_fs9.exe, and Desktop Name to Helo_FS9.
7) Doubleclick on "Helo_FS9.exe" and configure joystick as desired.
8) Exit FS9.

Now when you want to fly a helo, load from the Helo_FS9 shortcut.

Problem solved! You can do this as many times as you like, to have as many
startup profiles you wish.

Bill"

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Talon wrote:
> Greetings ehviator,

> boB,
>
> Try the solution the Bill Learning posted regarding setting up multiple
> instances of FS9 to allow for various controls. Try the instructions below
> but instead of helo_fs9, set up one with multi_engine instead. You can then
> use this and set up each axis and it will be all saved for the next time you
> want to use the controller.
>
> Regards,
> Paul

Thanks Paul. I appreciate it and am saving the post. By the time I got
to the end I had no idea what the beginning was about. But I'll go over
it again and try it all.

Thanks again,

--

boB